Old 03-18-2010, 07:15 AM   #21
Curmudgeon

City: Stoney Creek, MD
Vessel Name: Moon Dance
Vessel Model: 1974 34' Marine Trader Sedan
RE: The 5 most useful improvements on your boat

Quote:
FF wrote:

An autopilot can be about a grand IF you have mechanical steering , a sail boat wheel system will work just fine.
FF - Are you talking about the "Wheelpilots"?* I was hoping to go that route.* I love the simplicity.* But the ones I've seen are for boats of displacement only up to 16k - 18K pounds.* My boat is more like 24k.* Do you know of any wheel pilots that will handle larger boats?

Thanks

BaltimoreLurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 07:41 AM   #22
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40

Quote:
"Are you talking about the "Wheelpilots"?* I was hoping to go that route.* I love the simplicity.* But the ones I've seen are for boats of displacement only up to 16k - 18K pounds.* My boat is more like 24k.* Do you know of any wheel pilots that will handle larger boats?"

We had a WP4000 on our GB36 years ago....it worked just fine. On a sail boat the system needs more power as is needs to be able to compensate for larger fluctuating* loads due to the wind/swell action. You just have to put up with the thing mounted at the helm.

hollywood8118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 08:09 AM   #23
Curmudgeon

Quote:
hollywood8118 wrote:We had a WP4000 on our GB36 years ago....it worked just fine. On a sail boat the system needs more power as is needs to be able to compensate for larger fluctuating* loads due to the wind/swell action. You just have to put up with the thing mounted at the helm.
Well, now I'm re-energized!* Nothing like a little real world experience to clarify things.

Thanks!

Old 03-18-2010, 08:31 AM   #24
Guru

City: Whittier AK
Vessel Name: Apache II
Vessel Model: 1974 Donald Jones

if you like simplicity. If you can find one. *A Woodfreeman most likely*the last thing still working on an old fish boat when it gives up the ghost.

SD
skipperdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 08:55 AM   #25
Guru

City: Chocowinity NC
Vessel Name: My Yuki
Vessel Model: 1973 Marine Trader 34

Lurker, I sent a msg to you last night regarding my installation. Yes, wheel pilots do work. By the way, if your MT34 weights 24k it's 'way over the original spec of ~17k#: I have no idea what mine weighs now, but with genset, etc I know I'm probably about the same configuration/weight as you.

Since the helm of a trawler is going to be far less responsive that that of a sailboat, you'll need to make allowances for heavier weather. My prior experience was a similar unit mounted on a Catalina 34, and they ain't the same animal.

My belt-drive wheelpilot is fine for relatively calm seas, and I doubt you'd want to depend on it in much of a following sea, but the motor having the muscle to move the wheel/rudder hasn't been a problem.

A casual look around on the net shows units in the $600k or so on Ebay. I cannot speak to the newer units for ease of installation, since they are direct-drive units with the motor right up by the wheel. My belt-drive rig allows a lot more flexibility for installation, with the drive motor mounted all the way to the deck against the stbd bulkhead of the flybridge.
ARoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 11:11 AM   #26
Guru

City: Juneau Alaska
Vessel Name: Arctic Traveller
Vessel Model: Defever 49 RPH

Quote:
skipperdude wrote:

I want a real tap with an oosik for the handle.

That's just wrong on so many levels.................Arctic Traveller

Arctic Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 11:13 AM   #27
Guru

City: Juneau Alaska
Vessel Name: Arctic Traveller
Vessel Model: Defever 49 RPH

Quote:
Daddyo wrote:

So how did the forward looking sonar work out?*
We won't leave home without it.* Better than any depthsounder, and it keeps you out of trouble.....................Arctic Traveller

Arctic Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 11:15 AM   #28
Enigma

City: Slicker?

Looked up oosik...ewwww Mr. SD, you're ill
RT Firefly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 01:22 PM   #29
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan

1) Auto pilot
2) ER Camera
3) Combo Plotter, Radar and Sounder
4) Innerspring mattress
5) Deionized Water at my Slip (I have a blue hull and
this removes all water spotting after coming off an outing.)
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 02:11 PM   #30
Guru

City: Chocowinity NC
Vessel Name: My Yuki
Vessel Model: 1973 Marine Trader 34

Lurker, here are a couple of pics of the installation of my wheel pilot. When not in use, the control head can be unclipped and stowed in the forward laz. under the bridge.* I'm not sure of the vintage, but... it works.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dsc00050.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	1812   Click image for larger version

Name:	dsc00051.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	144.6 KB
ID:	1813  
ARoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 02:17 PM   #31
Guru

City: Whittier AK
Vessel Name: Apache II
Vessel Model: 1974 Donald Jones

oosik. It's an Alaskan thing.* Makes you strong like bull.
SD
skipperdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 02:19 PM   #32
Curmudgeon

Al, that's perfect.* And you said the magic words, "It works"!

I like the steampunk look of the belt driven arrangement.
Old 03-18-2010, 02:22 PM   #33
Curmudgeon

Quote:
skipperdude wrote:

oosik. It's an Alaskan thing.
Bahaha!* I did have to look it up.* You are a sick puppy.* Outstanding.* Now I want one!
Old 03-19-2010, 05:47 AM   #34
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B

Quote:
BaltimoreLurker wrote:hollywood8118 wrote:We had a WP4000 on our GB36 years ago....it worked just fine. On a sail boat the system needs more power as is needs to be able to compensate for larger fluctuating* loads due to the wind/swell action. You just have to put up with the thing mounted at the helm.
Well, now I'm re-energized!* Nothing like a little real world experience to clarify things.

Thanks!

Hi Guys, I too pricked up my ears on this one, as I do not have an autopilot, but like you Lurker, find the cost of the rotary motor powered versions just too expensive to justify for my boat, and the time/distance I would use it - yet I'd love one for those longer legs.* A/P would be my next big project, (apart from repainting the cabin - and maybe the hull).* I have seriously looked at the Raymarine Wheel Pilot, (about the only one left on the market now, and according to my catalogue called the Raymarine Smartpilot X-5 Sportpilot, listed @ $Aus1949 - now that's more like it.* That would only be about $US1500, and that's new!
They rate it up to boats of 7500kg = ~ 8 ton, which is about what our boats weigh Lurker, (maybe nearer 8 1/2).* I agree with whoever it was said you are over-estimating that weight.* Unless you added a heap of extremely heavy equipment?* The chain & rod mechanical steering on our boats are reasonably low-geared so quite light, but not too many turns lock to lock, (only 3 1/2), so meets that recommended for this unit, and not having to cope with weather helm as one does with a yacht steering, I think it should cope well, born out by what some others have said.** The Raymarine unit would mount behind the wheel, so not really intrude or even look that bad - businesslike I'd call it.* It has an enclosed belt, and a quick engage/release lever, and control head can mount nearby, and it has a remote to boot.* Oh yeah, and it interfaces with GPS.* What more could one want.
What say you FF?

Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 03:01 AM   #35
FF
Guru

Should work just fine , there is another AP maker , just AP , wont talk to your NEMA radar or windshield wipers , or depth sounder that has a great rep.

Will think of the name , eventually.

If you want connectivity , one of the "big" names will be needed .

FF
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 06:18 AM   #36
Curmudgeon

Quote:
FF wrote:

Should work just fine , there is another AP maker , just AP , wont talk to your NEMA radar or windshield wipers , or depth sounder that has a great rep.

Will think of the name , eventually.

If you want connectivity , one of the "big" names will be needed .

FF
I'm on the hunt now.* I don't need any slick features, just something to maintain a heading for a while.* Maybe the equivalent of one step above lashing the tiller on a sailboat.

Old 03-21-2010, 04:36 AM   #37
FF
Guru

Take a look at

http://cptautopilot.com/

They might be what you need.

FF
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 05:26 AM   #38
Curmudgeon

FF - that's definite possibility.* I'm currently working the e-bay route.* If that doesn't pan out I'll just go for a new unit.*

Thanks
Old 05-12-2010, 10:08 AM   #39
Curmudgeon

Quote:
ARoss wrote:Lurker, here are a couple of pics of the installation of my wheel pilot. When not in use, the control head can be unclipped and stowed in the forward laz. under the bridge.* I'm not sure of the vintage, but... it works.
Al:

I'm now getting around to bolting this project together.* From your photos it appears that you have mounted the drive motor bracket to the side wall of the flybridge, down in the footwell.* Were you able to get behind/inside the wall (from inside the forward lazarette maybe) in order to install the backing plate for the bracket?* Or, did you have to use some sort of toggle bolts or something?

Overall, this appears to be a very easy installation.* I'm thinking I can hole-saw a 3" diameter hole in the lazarette wall, just where you did.* The drive motor is about 2.5" diameter so I'm thinkning the extra 0.5" will allow for the movement of the motor when the cam lever is engaged/released.* Do you use the lever, or just pull the pin that holds the motor to the bracket?

Thanks

Old 05-12-2010, 09:26 PM   #40
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40

Just for clarification, a while back I mentioned that we had a wheelpilot on our GB36. The unit did everything we wanted it to do... we could of steered it with the gps but in the Pac North West you really need to keep your eyes on the water due to all the logs etc. in the water. The wheelpilot always worked great on the gb, in fact on flat water is steered the boat very straight. Much better than the commercial hydraulic unit on Volunteer, but when it gets real stinky and we get the 60000 lb pig surfing downwind the hydraulic unit really shines!. We had the unit rigged at the helm in the salon and had a very cool digital screen remote that we used on the flybridge, out current boat used the same setup. When we sailed across the Pacific we carried two of the wheelpilots and wore out a motor after about 12000 miles. I found out the motor was a popular size in the RC airplane market and for about 10 bucks had new brushes and the drive motor was good as new. I would not hesitate steering a 40' trawler that has reasonable helm loads with a wheelpilot. I do know that the units with the external belt seemed to have less issues when were in the S. Pac. that the enclosed belt units.
I guess I need to pull the old wheelpilot and remote out and ebay the thing, since they do not make them any longer thay have gained in popularity

hollywood8118 is offline   Reply With Quote