46' Tolley

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tator

Guru
Vessel Name
Oz
Vessel Make
Bluewater 40' RPH 1979
Had a chance last week to visit a beautiful boat that's for sale. It's a 1970 43' Tolley that has been extended to 46'. While it is not my style of boat-I like a RPH and covered cockpit- this was one of the most, if not the most, beautifully restored and modified boats I've seen. Absolutely no expense was spared by the extremely knowledgeable owner. Don't be put off by the price as I would put this boat up against any new boat of this type. I have no personal interest in the boat having only just met the owner for dinner. Welcome to Nordic Northwest Yachts

I completely understand why they did it - you really need room for a decent dink in those cruising grounds but I think the swim platform extension is rather unsightly. Great power package though.

Tolly agreed 35 years ago the 43 was lacking some "nice to haves" and built the 48. To me the 48 remains an all time favorite.

Specs seem to be from an entirely different boat. No interior photos? I love Tollys but this is what I call a "dilettante" boat. Will be interesting to see if and what it sells for. Usually the rule of thumb is (unless you find that "miracle buyer") you get nothing back for the money poured into something like this, you just move to the head of the line for people looking at that model, age and style of boat.

Looked at the specs and they do seem to be for a different boat. I've notified my friend, who is a friend of the owner, to let him know that there seems to be a problem with the listing. He sent me another link which has photos of the interior. https://anchorage.craigslist.org/boa/5426267514.html.

I do want to emphasize that the owner is an industrial engineer type who knows boats and systems and how to do things right. He has way,way, way more money in this boat than the asking price (and probably enjoyed every minute of the project). It's worth a look.

Two questions
1 Are all Tolly 43s with a foam cored hull?
2 Any thoughts on the open cockpit that lacks a transom?

Very practical, but that sugar scoop is a bit much for my eye.

sunchaser said:
Any thoughts on the open cockpit that lacks a transom?
I can think of a number of situations where I don't think I would have been very comfortable with that setup. I'd certainly want to sea trial it in a SEer off the Sand Heads.

Some other things I don't like also but would really have to see it...to be fair.

That's not a 43 Tolly hull.
It is an OLD 40 tri-cabin and yes it may have the pli-core hull.
It is completely different from a 43 or 48.
The 48 hull was developed long before the 43.

Those that have or had an old 40 tri rave about them!

Tolly Roger said:
That's not a 43 Tolly hull.
When I saw "1970 43' Tolley" in the OP, then read the linked specs, I just moved on. Illustrates what I said about FSBO in another thread.

Am I right, the 43 was a 4, maybe 5 year production ('80-'85) with very small numbers?

Last edited:
From what I have learned so far......

The 43 was built between 1981 and 1985 and about 48 were made.

The market was moving toward a sleeker look which led to the 44 design first launch was 1986. About 142 were made. In the last few years the 44 turned into the 45. I don't have a number of 45's built.

The success of the 44 actually stopped production of the 48 in about 1987 however it was revived in the early 90's under the new ownership and with some changes (one of which is a cored hull). I have a figure of 98 48's built in total with the first launch in 1976.

Last edited:
Tolly Roger said:
The 43 was built between 1981 and 1985 and about 48 were made.
Thanks TR, that fits with what I was thinking. I'm surprised there may have been 48 produced over the 4 years considering how many units overall where coming out of Kelso at that time.

I still like the 40' sedan and it would be one of the few ladder boats I would consider today.

Attachments

• 40 Tolly.jpg
    40 Tolly.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 109
Beautiful rig. I'm not a fan of fly bridges but this boat and the Cheoy lee Seamaster 46 are both boats that I like with FB's.
Thye open aft deck is the Tolly's best feature IMHO.

I can think of a number of situations where I don't think I would have been very comfortable with that setup. I'd certainly want to sea trial it in a SEer off the Sand Heads.

Some other things I don't like also but would really have to see it...to be fair.

About that open transom....

What would happen in a big following sea, or a coming into an inlet with scary stacked up waves chasing you? Outrun them I guess?

My boat has a transom but it is very slow so I'm not outrunning anything. I've not encountered an angry inlet yet or a big following sea, so I do wonder how I (and the boat) will handle it. It does have a big rudder so I'm hoping I can keep it straight.

Last edited:
cardude01 said:
What would happen in a big following sea, or a coming in an inlet with scary stacked up waves chasing you? Outrun them I guess?
My point. I also hope that door to the back "deck" is very watertight.

The transom door should open out and have an angled edge so any water hitting the door from outside, just forces it tightly closed. One that opens inward (like mine) would just burst open.

I think the "Big crashing following sea scenario is way over played. This is a coastal recreational yacht, hardly a heavy wx sort of boat. Nobody mentions the fwd windows "blowing out" in those same huge seas. That would worry me more than down flooding from astern.

I think the "Big crashing following sea scenario is way over played. This is a coastal recreational yacht, hardly a heavy wx sort of boat. Nobody mentions the fwd windows "blowing out" in those same huge seas. That would worry me more than down flooding from astern.

I agree. I just brought that up because I have never encountered a big following sea or really any big sea, and I don't know how my boat will handle it.

They would have been better off adding a small swim platform and a Freedom Boat Lift. The result would be the same without the need for the davit, and not put that plexi aft door at risk of a big wave coming aboard.

Plus with a boat lift, it's out of the water when you want it out, and stable when you board, then drop the boat in the water and motor away. The remote control is quite nice.

The Tollys were designed to cross the Columbia River Bar safely and traverse the Pacific Coast. Not sure I'd consider taking that vessel with its summer rear door and over sized cockpit from Anacortes back to its birth place unless on a truck. But, as already said it is nicely done. Now, about those yellow engines :confused:

A delivery captain friend of mine moved a T43 from SoCal to Puget Sound a few years ago. He really liked its seaworthiness going uphill, raved about it in fact. He helped me sea trial a 1994 T48 and liked the longer waterline performance. Tollys are great boats and like the one in question have seen some interesting redos over the years..

I'm sorry, but almost everything about this boat looks extremely odd to me.

First there's the jarring retro-updated-Tolly silhouette. Not to my taste at all, and when I close my eyes I still see it.

The access to the stern, what was the boat deck, and the flying bridge is only by going down through the aft stateroom. There's kind of a sporty route down the stb side deck but that doesn't look convenient or safe. I really don't know what this would be like in a following sea, but I know that my wife wouldn't let our grandkids on the boat. That open aft section might be a good selling point if you have relatives or guests you particularly do not like...

The whackadoodle storage, seating, T-Top, wind generator tower is just plain embarrassing.

Some of the interior remodel looks presentable, but do you guys realize there isn't a single table surface on the entire boat?

There's definitely some excellent equipment and it looks well installed, but that's about it.

refugio said:
I'm sorry, but almost everything about this boat looks extremely odd to me.
I have to agree with everything you said. I shouldn't criticize from a distance but also wonder what the OP actually looked at because the one we are talking about has neither a raised pilothouse nor covered cockpit.

I also agree with sunchaser about this one and, as I said earlier, would not care to run this thing up Georgia Strait in a 20 knot sou-easter. That back end looks like a hopper waiting to be filled.

It may well be a first class redo but to call it restored is just plain wrong and I think if Mr. Tollefson were alive today, he just might ask that any reference to his name be removed.

This is what a real 43 Tolly is...

Attachments

• Tolly 43.jpg
    Tolly 43.jpg
    157.1 KB · Views: 73
I have to agree with everything you said. I shouldn't criticize from a distance but also wonder what the OP actually looked at because the one we are talking about has neither a raised pilothouse nor covered cockpit.

I also agree with sunchaser about this one and, as I said earlier, would not care to run this thing up Georgia Strait in a 20 knot sou-easter. That back end looks like a hopper waiting to be filled.

It may well be a first class redo but to call it restored is just plain wrong and I think if Mr. Tollefson were alive today, he just might ask that any reference to his name be removed.

This is what a real 43 Tolly is...

As the OP I am not in the market for another boat. I was invited onboard by the owner after having dinner nearby with him and a mutual friend. If I was in the market for another boat, this is not the style the I would buy-even if it was all original. I just thought he did an incredible job and wanted to pass it on to others.

As far as taking waves on the stern, I can understand the concern when looking at the design. The owner states that this hasn't been a problem. This might be because the flotation continues all the way aft. It is something I would want to check out on a sea trial. I can say that in my many trips up and down the West Coast and to Alaska, I have never had a following wave break into my cockpit and I've been out in some big seas. Perhaps I'm just lucky.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom