Old 02-20-2016, 10:15 AM   #21
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
The Tollys were designed to cross the Columbia River Bar safely and traverse the Pacific Coast. Not sure I'd consider taking that vessel with its summer rear door and over sized cockpit from Anacortes back to its birth place unless on a truck. But, as already said it is nicely done. Now, about those yellow engines

A delivery captain friend of mine moved a T43 from SoCal to Puget Sound a few years ago. He really liked its seaworthiness going uphill, raved about it in fact. He helped me sea trial a 1994 T48 and liked the longer waterline performance. Tollys are great boats and like the one in question have seen some interesting redos over the years..
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 11:54 AM   #22
Guru

City: Meydenbauer Bay Yacht Club
Vessel Name: Lulu (Refugio sold)
I'm sorry, but almost everything about this boat looks extremely odd to me.

First there's the jarring retro-updated-Tolly silhouette. Not to my taste at all, and when I close my eyes I still see it.

The access to the stern, what was the boat deck, and the flying bridge is only by going down through the aft stateroom. There's kind of a sporty route down the stb side deck but that doesn't look convenient or safe. I really don't know what this would be like in a following sea, but I know that my wife wouldn't let our grandkids on the boat. That open aft section might be a good selling point if you have relatives or guests you particularly do not like...

The whackadoodle storage, seating, T-Top, wind generator tower is just plain embarrassing.

Some of the interior remodel looks presentable, but do you guys realize there isn't a single table surface on the entire boat?

There's definitely some excellent equipment and it looks well installed, but that's about it.
refugio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 12:49 PM   #23
Guru

City: Sidney
Quote:
Originally Posted by refugio
I'm sorry, but almost everything about this boat looks extremely odd to me.
I have to agree with everything you said. I shouldn't criticize from a distance but also wonder what the OP actually looked at because the one we are talking about has neither a raised pilothouse nor covered cockpit.

I also agree with sunchaser about this one and, as I said earlier, would not care to run this thing up Georgia Strait in a 20 knot sou-easter. That back end looks like a hopper waiting to be filled.

It may well be a first class redo but to call it restored is just plain wrong and I think if Mr. Tollefson were alive today, he just might ask that any reference to his name be removed.

This is what a real 43 Tolly is...
Attached Thumbnails
Tolly 43.jpg  
Hawgwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 08:10 PM   #24
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawgwash View Post
I would be proud to own that vessel.

Keith
Old 02-27-2016, 09:43 AM   #25
Guru

Quote:
And this is what a modestly updated (to remove the Tolly green) 43 Tolly (listed this week for $84K) looks like:
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tolly43.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	49361
refugio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 10:05 AM   #26
Guru

City: Bainbridge Island/Petersburg Alaska
Vessel Name: Oz
Vessel Model: Bluewater 40' RPH 1979
Quote:
I have to agree with everything you said. I shouldn't criticize from a distance but also wonder what the OP actually looked at because the one we are talking about has neither a raised pilothouse nor covered cockpit.

I also agree with sunchaser about this one and, as I said earlier, would not care to run this thing up Georgia Strait in a 20 knot sou-easter. That back end looks like a hopper waiting to be filled.

It may well be a first class redo but to call it restored is just plain wrong and I think if Mr. Tollefson were alive today, he just might ask that any reference to his name be removed.

As the OP I am not in the market for another boat. I was invited onboard by the owner after having dinner nearby with him and a mutual friend. If I was in the market for another boat, this is not the style the I would buy-even if it was all original. I just thought he did an incredible job and wanted to pass it on to others.

As far as taking waves on the stern, I can understand the concern when looking at the design. The owner states that this hasn't been a problem. This might be because the flotation continues all the way aft. It is something I would want to check out on a sea trial. I can say that in my many trips up and down the West Coast and to Alaska, I have never had a following wave break into my cockpit and I've been out in some big seas. Perhaps I'm just lucky.
Tator is offline   Reply With Quote