42 Azimut - italian build.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Attached is another follow up PDF showing more invoice.

Attachments

• Colaw.pdf
    2 MB · Views: 32
Last edited:
Nice boat, looks quite a bit like my 40ft (43ft LOA) Italian boat from another manufacturer of the same vintage.

If like mine, side decks are a little narrow moving forward but perfectly do-able and the steeply raked windshield can catch a lot of glare at certain times of the day. Also if like mine, nice solidly built hull and high quality running gear.

Pictures look good and has some nice upgrades but definitely climb down into the engine room to see if you fit. I am 6'0 165lb and I have to do some contortions to get around my Volvos, climb over the battery box,etc.

Also noticed that the YW ad shows 450 gallons of fuel. Other ads show 317 gallons. I don't know if it matters to you but you might want to check it out.

Sorry if I rambled, but it is 2am.

Best of luck with your offer and next steps.

bshillam,curious to know how it went? Shame if such a nice looking well presented good accomm boat was let down by mechanical concerns.

Ok
Exterior cosmetic great,
Interior systems, cosmetic good.
Mechanical hoses, clamps, original with 4 of the 7 through hulls non functioning. Getting an estimate for replacements.
Fuel is old and grud in the fuel will need to be pulled polished and tanks cleaned.

Otherwise engines held temp WOT 31 knots!
Cruise was very comfortable 17-20.
Looking into cost to truck it in lieu of going around the outside.
If the current owner is reasonable it will be moving up north. If not I have a plan B

Trucking it seems like it would put a lot of extra stress on the hull. It would certainly put extra stress on me!
It looks like you are in Portland. Where is the boat? Yachtworld link no longer works. I'm sure some experienced TF west coasters could give you some advice regarding trucking vs piloting.

Nice boat. I hope everything works out.

Boat is in San Diego

Down to the last bit of negotiation based off the information gathered during survey/sea trial. Having some bids rolling in on repairs needed, insurance quotes, trucking - shipping.

Had to bail, 30-50k in mechanical fixes. Just too many to absorb! They took care of the cosmetics but waited until something broke to fix it. Bummer, it was a fun ride and thrilling to take a 42' 35 MPH. Onward!

So it WAS like a Lamborghini. Fun to drive but expensive to fix.:D

Fun to drive yes

Expensive to fix yes
ER was next to impossible.

Fun to drive yes

Expensive to fix yes
ER was next to impossible.

Like I wrote in my prior post, you need to see if you are comfortable in the engine room as it gets tight on boats of that type.
Expensive to fix? Well, that isn't something that Italian flybridge cruisers have a monopoly on.

Good luck on the continued search.

So it WAS like a Lamborghini. Fun to drive but expensive to fix.:D

Reminds my of a guy I saw at work. Had a nice Lambo. Problem was that the reverse gear was broken. He had to push it out of parking spaces. A lot cheaper than getting it fixed, but it really blew the whole "Hey look at me, I've got a Lambo" factor.

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1997/navigator-4800-3595158/

Plan B

I go on Monday to check it out. I recently helped to deliver another slightly newer 4800 and was really impressed with how well it aged, handled, space in the salon, lower twin staterooms and ER. No it wasn't walk in, but you could get to all four sides of each of the engines. It really was one of the most comfortable ER I had seen in a long long time.

Come to find out this one was available. Wish me luck on this one!

Commiserations. You`ve had your share+ of survey fails, surely the next one will be it.

Plan B

Wish me luck on this one!

What did you learn from Plan A? You loved the speed, so now do you desire speed at that level or at an intermediate level? What about the trade-off in design for speed vs comfort vs ER? Have you learned enough to narrow your search as there sure is a huge difference between your Plan A and Plan B boats.

I am happy with anything over 14, if cruise can be reached between 14-17 I have no reason to go any faster. 35 was fun but that was WOT. The Gator is capable of doing 14-17 all day long (conditions favorable of course). For us, layout, space in salon/flybridge and access to systems is more important than cruising into the high 20s.

I am happy with anything over 14, if cruise can be reached between 14-17 I have no reason to go any faster. 35 was fun but that was WOT. The Gator is capable of doing 14-17 all day long (conditions favorable of course). For us, layout, space in salon/flybridge and access to systems is more important than cruising into the high 20s.

I think you made the right decision on the Plan A boat..... Is the Plan B boat an Azimut too?

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1997/navigator-4800-3595158/

Plan B

I go on Monday to check it out. I recently helped to deliver another slightly newer 4800 and was really impressed with how well it aged, handled, space in the salon, lower twin staterooms and ER. No it wasn't walk in, but you could get to all four sides of each of the engines. It really was one of the most comfortable ER I had seen in a long long time.

Come to find out this one was available. Wish me luck on this one!

Cool plan B! Looks nice. Sorry your Azimut didn't pan out. Oh and for plan B don't listen to the TFers who say that Volvos are second class citizens. Lol. I've noticed a lot of Volvo bashing on here....

We bought our 2008 Navigator 4600 1 year ago. ER is very (relatively) spacious and we love the layout. I actually like the Volvo engines but mine have the digital controls and data so this helps!

Reminds my of a guy I saw at work. Had a nice Lambo. Problem was that the reverse gear was broken. He had to push it out of parking spaces. A lot cheaper than getting it fixed, but it really blew the whole "Hey look at me, I've got a Lambo" factor.

I pulled a couple of street racers over...well, one eluded me but one of my guys caught him. One of their group had one with vanity plate “LAMBO”. Young kid on his 30’s. How does he afford such a vehicle, at such a young age, I asked myself. Registration said “insurance: total loss”.

Ahhhhh....:rolleyes:

Love an 08 Gator but it's not in the budget. They made some real nice improvements in such a short period of time. Maybe once we retire and move semi-full time a much newer vessel would be in order. This one however checks off a lot of the boat boxes!

The 2 stateroom version of the Navigator 4800 has a nice combination of features. It was our favorite layout but we wanted to stay under 50' OAL. Most of the later (post 2004) 4800's had 3 staterooms which I think made it less comfortable for two couples.

Access was the biggest issue here and it had shown in the general up keep and maintenance throughout all those hidden areas. Ended up buying a Navigator 4800, much better access to the critical areas of the boat. It ended up costing more initially but no more once repairs were added in for both boats. :rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom