Old 03-30-2015, 11:46 PM   #1

40' Bluewater pilothouse trawler yacht, Acapulco style.

Does anyone have any specific, personal knowledge of this vessel?

40' Bluewater Trawler Motor Yacht 1972 | Brokerage Yachts - Crow's Nest Yachts

It is a 40' Bluewater pilothouse trawler yacht, Acapulco style.

This is the kind of boat I had an interest in when I bought my present trawler. At the time, there was only one other available, and it was near LA and not in that great of shape according to the owner.(no less)
Also, at the time, I was not so comfortable with the size as I am now. The next smaller version were a couple of Lord Nelson tugs. Bottom like on those, tooo "tuggy" and cultist priced.

The cockpit of the Bluewater is still too small to suit me, but close enough I could live with it - one of those compromises, you know. Other than that, she checks off pretty much all the boxes:
* Heavy enough to take down the coast.
* Single diesel.(the GM is another matter?)
* No Bridge deck to deal with.
* Portuguese Bridge.
* Port / Starboard Pilothouse access.
* Considerably larger ER.

These seem to be pretty rare and mostly on the West Coast. There is actually one several slips down from me in Antioch, but it is a twin, or I might pursue that one. The owner is not so happy he got it now, and seldom uses it. The condition is Fair and he was talking $60K.

As you can see, the Rendezvous is about 2x in price - for a 40+ yr. old Taiwanese Trawler. It appears to be in much better shape and well fitted out with a lot of nice cruising features. The electronics is a bit older.(but maybe I can get it discounted)
The owner must not be in any hurry to sell her as she has been for sale for years now.

I have not contacted the broker yet, but that is my next step after this inquiry. This boat has been really bugging me for a while now and I think the only way I will get a good nights sleep is to just go there to confirm condition and value by viewing and crawling her.

That 2x the average price really makes me sit up and scratch my head.
Are there any folks her with personal knowledge of her condition who can cure my insanity and save me a $$ trip to Vancouver WA?

Please PM me if you can help.

Thanks gang.
Attached Thumbnails
Rendezvous.jpg  
Delta_JimS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 03:20 AM   #2
TF Site Team

City: Paris,TN
Vessel Name: Slo-Poke
Vessel Model: Jorgensen custom 44
We met a man and his wife . That were on our dock here in TN that had a Bluewater 40 just like it with a single but had a fly bridge . They brought the boat on its on bottom from San Deigo . They were just finishing up the loop and I think they are in Key West now . It had a single Ford Leaman . They were here about a year on and off and we became friends . I liked the boat . It seemed rugged . I could do with out flybridge but it didn't look bad . Plenty of room below with very comfortable pilot house . He was going to sell it when finishing the loop and get something smaller in San Deigo . That is all I can help with . Good luck that is a nice looking boat.
Old 03-31-2015, 04:11 AM   #3
Guru

City: Meydenbauer Bay Yacht Club
Vessel Name: Lulu (Refugio sold)
I remember that one in California - I think I posted it here as being interesting.

This one is / was clearly well loved, a good sign. If the pictures are current. Dual thrusters is a positive sign of investment. Not planning to drive to Portland anytime soon otherwise would take a look for you.

Was that flying bridge on the boat deck or on top of the pilothouse? Pretty far up there.
Old 03-31-2015, 04:31 AM   #4
TF Site Team

City: Paris,TN
Vessel Name: Slo-Poke
Vessel Model: Jorgensen custom 44
The one tthat was here had a bridge . It was set back a little and it didn't look bad . He could hardly see the bow ( and he was a tall guy ) and had to have a pole on the tip of the bow so he knew where it was while piloting from there .He did not have any thrusters .
Old 03-31-2015, 05:47 AM   #5
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. DJS. No knowledge of this vessel at all. Personally, I judge a boats condition from the condition of the ER. On most vessels it seems to be the last place that receives attention and lack of attention in the ER suggests to me, at least, lack of attention overall. This listing is quite sparse on pictures and before I spent the time and $$, I would request many more pictures of the broker. Just MY $.02.
Old 03-31-2015, 11:00 AM   #6

First of all, thanks again for all your help and support.
This is what makes TF great, and keeps me addicted all my waking hours.

I missed these first few posts because I was dealing with PMs.(not PMS) I will try now to catch up.
Old 03-31-2015, 11:19 AM   #7

Marty,

Thanks for the background. I am wondering if that one in SD is the same one of the guy I talked to. Do not recall a flybridge, but was a single Lehman. The time frame and location sounds about right.
He must have wanted it pretty bad to truck it all the way East; probably $5k at least, plus his travel expenses out here several times.

The demand for rare old Pilothouse boats is also part of my problem. These appear to be pretty rugged boats, and I have seen the interior layout of the one on my dock and I like it!
The Acapulco is just a little bit bigger than the LN, but without the tuggy look or the LN cult.

If you run into this guy again, hook us up. If he really intends to sell after the loop, I could be interested. We have discussed retiring back East, perhaps along the Mississippi. It could be most convieient to have her already on the Loop.
Old 03-31-2015, 11:34 AM   #8

Refugio,

Thanks much for the offer to check out the boat.

Regarding the flybridge boats, there was a battered one here around Brisbane, CA that just sold. I remember looking at the pictures of her on the web and thinking it looked "homemade". This weekend at the TF get together in Pittsburg, one of our own, scary, confirmed that he had seen the boat and confirmed that it did not look factory.

I have not yet found a lot of documentation on these old trawlers, but what I have would indicate that they did not come with a flybridge, but might have been quite amendable to adding one.
Old 03-31-2015, 11:46 AM   #9
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
One other thing I didn't notice in the listing was tankage. Fuel, water and waste. Might be a blue water boat but may not have legs to go anywhere. All in all, I fault the broker for the sparse listing.
Old 03-31-2015, 11:59 AM   #10

RTF,

Thanks always for your input. I totally agree with you regarding the condition of the ER. I have spent more time crawling around my cramped ER these last 4.5 years fixing deferred maintenence and upgrades than I have piloting!

Regarding pictures, yes that is top of my list if/when I contact the broker.
I saw several of the pictures that look to have been updated last April - like I said, she has technically been on the market for years.

The situation may be similar to mind. The owner may be winding down the ownership for whatever reason. Maybe he wants a smaller or newer or different style boat, but is in no hurry to sell - he obviously really enjoys her. He has set a price based on what he thinks she is worth and is willing to let the market come to him.
I am similar, I have not advertized for sale, but if someone walked up with a reasonable offer, I would take it as I must sell my current boat before buying another or wife has promised to divorce me and the boats!
In the meantime I will continue to maintain, upgrade and use my boat regularly as demonstrated last weekend in Pittsburg.

As Marty commented, she looks to be in great condition, with dual thrusters; maybe an 8 or even 9.(never seen or heard of a 10)
Point is, she has been lovingly cared for and invested in. Very hard to believe that the ER does not look the same - probably could eat and sleep there. I would be shocked, shocked if that is not the case.

Another personal rationalization for pursuing this Acapulco is what is often stated in this forum - buy condition! You will not regret it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Mr. DJS. No knowledge of this vessel at all. Personally, I judge a boats condition from the condition of the ER. On most vessels it seems to be the last place that receives attention and lack of attention in the ER suggests to me, at least, lack of attention overall. This listing is quite sparse on pictures and before I spent the time and $$, I would request many more pictures of the broker. Just MY $.02.
Old 03-31-2015, 12:17 PM   #11

RTF,

Good point. Yes, this listing is somewhat lacking. I suspect it may have to do with what I previously replied to you. The seller is only looking for serious buyers who are willing to work and dig a little to research the model, not tire kickers. Maybe not professional, but not lazy either - I would refer to the exhaustive items detail text.

I have now looked at, I think 4, on the web and all are about the same. Seems like enough tankage in these to 1000+ miles in fuel, (singe of course) and about half that in water; less in black water.

One of the other similar Acapulcos that I use for cross reference is this one:

1979 Bluewater Trawler Pilothouse Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

I am still building a library of info on these boats, and it is anything but organized at this point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
One other thing I didn't notice in the listing was tankage. Fuel, water and waste. Might be a blue water boat but may not have legs to go anywhere. All in all, I fault the broker for the sparse listing.
Old 03-31-2015, 12:35 PM   #12
Dauntless Award

City: Wrangell, Alaska
Vessel Name: Dauntless
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 - 148
"...As Marty commented, she looks to be in great condition, with dual thrusters; maybe an 8 or even 9.(never seen or heard of a 10)
Point is, she has been lovingly cared for and invested in. Very hard to believe that the ER does not look the same - probably could eat and sleep there. I would be shocked, shocked if that is not the case.

Another personal rationalization for pursuing this Acapulco is what is often stated in this forum - buy condition! You will not regret it."

I think BUY condition makes such a difference. When a boat has been a mainened with cost not being an issue, every dollar the PO spent, is a dollar you will not have to spend.

When our KK42 came on the market, it was one of the highest priced east coast boats. But as we looked and looked, it became apparent that it was well worth the extra money.

In hindsight and after 7,000 nm and 2100 hours, that decision looks even better.

All the money we have spent on Dauntless went to either fuel or things I wanted to add. There has been no significant breakage or anything, parts, hoses, that need to be replaced.

a Kadey Krogen 42 currently: https://share.garmin.com/dauntless
Blog:
https://dauntlessatsea.com
Wxx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 12:47 PM   #13

Yes Richard, potential condition is what continually haunts me about this boat and keeps me awake at night. Keep thinking I can just get in, turn the key and head south for home.

Satori was quite the opposite initially; somewhat neglected but seaworthy enough for the Delta. I bought her in 2010 and spent the last 4 years working on defered maintenence and upgrades. I am not unhappy with her, and she makes a Great Delta boat with the Sedan style and large cockpit. I just feel she was not quite the style and size that I was aiming for 5 years ago, and she gets a little tighter everyday. I want those few extra feet and raised pilothouse like the LTs had; that style seemed very comfortable to me. the only downside I know for sure is the reduced deck handling access from the bridge compared with Satori which has great access.
Old 03-31-2015, 02:31 PM   #14
Guru

City: Everett, WA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 38'
Seems to me I've seen these under the Tayana name as well.
Always like the design, seems like a great sized couple cruiser.
Max Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 02:40 PM   #15

Thanks Max,

You guys are torturing me....

Yes, the Tayana name is mixed in there somewhere also. Tayana is usually associated with sailboats built from the same yard, I believe.
Old 03-31-2015, 02:46 PM   #16
Guru

City: Everett, WA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 38'
Was trying to find an article I read about a guy that totally restored one a few years back, what a beauty. Anyway, did run across this guy who took care of some wet decks

How-to: DIY deck repair | Soundings Online
Max Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 02:56 PM   #17

Max,

Thanks for the link. I will try to run this down further. The ones I have seen on the web appear to have had their forward teak replaced by the looks of it.
Wow, really wish I could have seen these when new!
Old 03-31-2015, 05:52 PM   #18
Veteran Member

City: Long Beach, CA
Vessel Name: FREEDOM
Vessel Model: 40 BLUEWATER PILOTHOUSE TRAWLER
I have this exact same BLUEWATER 40 boat slipped in Long Beach, Ca. I bought her 2 years ago and love (almost) everything this style/size boat offers. I too added a stern thruster (side power), new electronics(Garmin), glassed/non-skid the decks, and LP the entire boat.It was very hard to find this boat as stated. I only know about a half dozen that exist. A great feature is how large they are, but yet fit in a 35ft slip. She is built extremely stout(Like a Battleship), tracks very well (Full Keel and Full Displacement), great liveaboard space with big closets (wife loves the space),large ER, and clean timeless lines. I have all documentation (even the original art renderings by the naval architect) . Just PM me if you have any specific questions.

-Josh
Capt. JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 06:00 PM   #19

Darn Josh, you just confirmed everything I was afraid of - she is what I have been looking for.
I will PM some questions later. Thanks for your reply!
Old 04-15-2015, 02:18 AM   #20

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Nordvind
Vessel Model: Nova Heritage 36
I really like the design of these, except for maybe the big overbite of the pilot house windows. I'm not sure why these didn't get made in in the 100's since they seem like such a great layout in a modest and manageable length.

It appears that the forward cabin can only be accessed from the master on this particular boat. Is that correct? I would also be a bit hesitant about not having a secondary escape route from the forward cabin. There appears to be no hatch. I'd certainly install one, and in the mean time keep a fireman's ax in the forward locker.