Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-06-2018, 11:53 AM   #1
Member
 
City: Houston, Texas
Country: USA
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 14
40' to 50' Trawler

Wanted: Trawler, lightly used dependable, 40 to 50 foot long with max bridge clearance of not over 19 feet.

The trawler will be used for Ministerial work while traveling the Great Loop. Must be large enough to accommodate a crew of 4 and 2 guest. Using it for a Sabbatical Retreat facility for Clergy as we travel from port to port on the Great Loop. Offering Pastors and Ministerial Staff a place for prayer, worship, study, meditation and relaxation.
__________________
Advertisement

thorhooked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 05:09 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
City: Lutz
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 410
How much cash do you have??
__________________

geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 05:27 PM   #3
Guru
 
dhays's Avatar
 
City: Gig Harbor
Country: United States
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 7,957
Quote:
Originally Posted by thorhooked View Post
Wanted: Trawler, lightly used dependable, 40 to 50 foot long with max bridge clearance of not over 19 feet.

The trawler will be used for Ministerial work while traveling the Great Loop. Must be large enough to accommodate a crew of 4 and 2 guest. Using it for a Sabbatical Retreat facility for Clergy as we travel from port to port on the Great Loop. Offering Pastors and Ministerial Staff a place for prayer, worship, study, meditation and relaxation.

Welcome.


My guess is you will be needing to look at the upper end of your size range if you are looking for comfortable accommodations for 6. A lot will depend on who your 4 crew are. I'm guessing husband/wife and 2 kids? If so, then that will take two cabins. If you are looking for guest accommodations for a couple, that is a bit different than guest accommodations for two singles.
__________________
Regards,

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 07:30 PM   #4
Guru
 
City: Melbourne, FL
Country: USA
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 1,390
I think a Fleming 65 should do that...
stubones99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 07:45 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
City: Marathon
Country: Usa
Vessel Name: silver gift
Vessel Model: 45 jefferson
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 257
My 45 Jefferson is for sale, forward cabin with split bunks, queen aft ,and foldout couch in salon. Dinnet drops for more. located Ft Lauderdale, loop ready. Have a blessed day.
Deckape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 10:54 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
clynn's Avatar
 
City: Memphis
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Ivory Lady
Vessel Model: 46 Jefferson
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 275
Is this for real?
clynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 11:49 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Restitution's Avatar
 
City: Kalama, WA
Country: USA
Vessel Name: "Restitution"
Vessel Model: 38' Californian
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 194
Thorhook,

I suppose we shouldn't expect much better treatment, aye? . Historically, Christ (whether one believes he was the savior or not), was crucified by the world much the same. Matt 5:10.
Restitution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 03:31 PM   #8
Member
 
City: Houston, Texas
Country: USA
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoleo View Post
How much cash do you have??
Depends of the donations, right now it looks like we should have around $90,000.00 by the end of June. Why do you ask?
thorhooked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 03:35 PM   #9
Member
 
City: Houston, Texas
Country: USA
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 14
The crew will consist of myself, my wife, my daughter and granddaughter. Plans are to use the largest cabin as guest accommodations, the V-Birth for the daughter and granddaughter and the remaining cabin for my wife and me.
thorhooked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 03:37 PM   #10
Member
 
City: Houston, Texas
Country: USA
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by stubones99 View Post
I think a Fleming 65 should do that...
Know where I can find a well taken care of used one?
thorhooked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 03:40 PM   #11
Member
 
City: Houston, Texas
Country: USA
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
Welcome.


My guess is you will be needing to look at the upper end of your size range if you are looking for comfortable accommodations for 6. A lot will depend on who your 4 crew are. I'm guessing husband/wife and 2 kids? If so, then that will take two cabins. If you are looking for guest accommodations for a couple, that is a bit different than guest accommodations for two singles.
The crew will consist of myself, my wife, our daughter and 8 year old granddaughter. Our
plans are to use the largest accommodations for our guest. The V-Birth for our daughter and granddaughter then the remaining cabin for the wife and me. So at least cabins would be necessary.
thorhooked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 03:50 PM   #12
Member
 
City: Houston, Texas
Country: USA
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benthic2 View Post
Brilliant!! The entire cost of the loop will be a write off !!
Wasn't exactly looking at this form a "Write Off" stand point, more from a Ministerial stand point. Really more from the aspect of a water based facility where we as a Christian family could give back to and share some of the many blessing God has so abundantly blessed us with. A Ministry by which we can bless those who God has called and has been using to spread the Gospel through.
thorhooked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 03:58 PM   #13
Member
 
City: Houston, Texas
Country: USA
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Restitution View Post
That’s pretty cool though. A worship service on the water.
Really more a "On the Water Sabbatical Facility" for Clergy. Traveling the ICW can be (for the most part) quit relaxing and give Clergy a place to relax, unwind and reconnect with there first love Jesus Christ.
thorhooked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 04:06 PM   #14
Member
 
City: Houston, Texas
Country: USA
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckape View Post
My 45 Jefferson is for sale, forward cabin with split bunks, queen aft ,and foldout couch in salon. Dinnet drops for more. located Ft Lauderdale, loop ready. Have a blessed day.
Thank you for the update. A 45' Jefferson would be great if it were just the wife and me but with my daughter, granddaughter and 2 guest 45' would get a bit crowded.
Blessings to you also.
thorhooked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 04:18 PM   #15
Member
 
City: Houston, Texas
Country: USA
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by clynn View Post
Is this for real?
Yes, we are truly looking for a 40 to 50 foot trawler to do The Great Loop in. Our intent is to, along the way, invite Clergy and/or Ministerial couples to join us for a week or two on this great adventure as a Sabbatical for them. Allowing them to get away from the day to day grind, reconnect and draw nearer to God without the day to day interruptions while doing God's work. Yes, this is very much for real search for a trawler large enough to meet our needs for this Ministry.

Blessings
thorhooked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 04:33 PM   #16
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 16,695
Quote:
Originally Posted by thorhooked View Post
Thank you for the update. A 45' Jefferson would be great if it were just the wife and me but with my daughter, granddaughter and 2 guest 45' would get a bit crowded.
Blessings to you also.
Which brings us to your $95,000 price range. For instance, whether seriously or facetiously mentioned above, you're not going to get a Fleming 65 for that amount. As to what you're doing, not really as relevant as is the fact you need accommodations for 6. I'm not at all grasping how you're going to do the loop and host guests at various ports and still complete the loop in season. Perhaps those you host will stay with you until the next port. Have you studied the loop so you have a good understanding of it? For three staterooms, you will need to be at the upper end of your size range you mentioned or above.

What is your boating experience and your mechanical ability?
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 04:39 PM   #17
Member
 
City: Houston, Texas
Country: USA
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Restitution View Post
Thorhook,

I suppose we shouldn't expect much better treatment, aye? . Historically, Christ (whether one believes he was the savior or not), was crucified by the world much the same. Matt 5:10.
For some reason I'm beginning to get the impression that some of these folks got the impression I was looking for a "Free Trawler". Nothing could be farther from the truth. Would I turn one down, of course not if it were a trawler that met our needs. If this ministry is what God intends for me to do, know beyond a shadow of a doubt He has the power to provide us with the trawler we need. That doesn't mean that I'm not supposed to do my due diligence and look for a Trawler. I find it somewhat humorous that I posted a search on Trawler Forum for a 40 to 50 foot trawler to do the Great Loop. How many thousands of times has this been done on Trawler Forum? But because I mentioned what I intended to do with it some people evidently got the wrong impression as to me looking for one for free. Perhaps I should have been clearer about what God has called me to do.

God Bless
thorhooked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 04:42 PM   #18
Guru
 
Benthic2's Avatar
 
City: Boston Area
Country: United States
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 1,461
Quote:
Originally Posted by thorhooked View Post
Wasn't exactly looking at this form a "Write Off" stand point, more from a Ministerial stand point. Really more from the aspect of a water based facility where we as a Christian family could give back to and share some of the many blessing God has so abundantly blessed us with. A Ministry by which we can bless those who God has called and has been using to spread the Gospel through.
Well you should incorporate yourself as a 503(c) corporation ( charitable ) and I think all of your expenses would be "business expenses". I think you can show a loss for 3 years upon start up of a new business, so as long as you complete the loop in 3 years, you are all set!! Mysterious ways, indeed !!
Benthic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 07:32 PM   #19
Guru
 
City: Melbourne, FL
Country: USA
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 1,390
Has anyone mentioned ThorHooked's experience operating 50' boats? Unless he has a bunch of experience, good weather, calm seas, it may not be idyllic for the other clergy.
stubones99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 08:28 PM   #20
Guru
 
dhays's Avatar
 
City: Gig Harbor
Country: United States
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 7,957
Quote:
Originally Posted by thorhooked View Post
The crew will consist of myself, my wife, my daughter and granddaughter. Plans are to use the largest cabin as guest accommodations, the V-Birth for the daughter and granddaughter and the remaining cabin for my wife and me.


I understand your idea and the concept is fine. However, I think there is likely to be a big mis-match between the boat that you can afford and the boat that will accomplish what you want.

It is of course possible to cram 5 adults and one child onto a 40’ boat. My wife and I spend a week with the two of us and 3 adult children on our 43’ boat. It is a lot of fun, but I wouldn’t consider it a “relaxing” experience. More of a camping outing.

You would need three decent cabins so that your guests are comfortable enough for the respite that you envision. This will mean a bigger boat I’m afraid.
__________________

__________________
Regards,

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:13 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012