Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 06-02-2016, 11:18 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
Star0210's Avatar
 
City: Madisonville, LA
Country: US
Vessel Name: Sanctuary Of Sanity
Vessel Model: 1982 47' Bluewater
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 415
3rd week...no major disasters and a successful day on the water

Yay for us! Lol

We went about 60 miles round trip yesterday. Took 4 of our marina neighbor's with us and went to Middendorf's on Lake Maurepas for lunch.
Weather was great and the lake was calm until we got there. A nasty thunderstorm popped up and the winds really picked up. Docking the boat was quite nerve wrecking. The boat has a new booboo where we hit the dock. Oops.
We hung out there until the weather passed. Lake Pontchartrain had about 3 ft swells on the way back but laid down when we got closer to the northshore. Boat handled that little bit great.

Everytime we go out is a new learning experience so we're soaking it all in.

Only a couple of problems...

The generator for some reason isn't running both AC's which it previously did just fine. We ran it the whole time we were out yesterday with one AC on. He's gonna try it again today and then get to troubleshooting.

The float for the aft bilge pump came unattached. That made a red light on the instrument panel on the lower helm come on. And that's all I know about that. Lol

Hubby did something with the AC drain lines and now the AC's seem to be working better and the water discharge isn't as warm he said.

Oh and the trac-vision isn't cooperating. Haven't even fooled with that yet.

A few more days of vacation and playing with the boat and then back to reality. Sigh.
__________________
Advertisement

Star0210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 11:25 AM   #2
Guru
 
alormaria's Avatar
 
City: Trenton
Country: USA
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 901
It does get better and better until you don't know how you ever existed without it.
__________________

__________________
Al Johnson
34' Marine Trader
"Angelina"
alormaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 11:29 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
ragin cajun's Avatar
 
City: Lafayette, LA
Country: USA
Vessel Name: presently boatless
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 267
Now ya having fun! Check your raw water strainers for the ACs. Have to clean mine every week or two in Lake Ponch. Clogged water intakes will cause ACs to trip your breaker often. Amazing how rough that lake can get in those thunderstorms...stay away from them if you possibly can!
ragin cajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 06:48 PM   #4
Guru
 
sbu22's Avatar
 
City: New Orleans
Country: US
Vessel Name: Panache
Vessel Model: Viking 43 Double Cabin '76
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 677
Middendorf's for catfish chips! One of my favorites!

Lake P can go from flaaat to something resembling a bad day in the North sea in minutes. It's shallow, notorious for shifting erratic winds and short period breaking (and conflicting) seas. You'll get used to it. Keeps you on your toes.
sbu22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 08:11 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
City: Houma, Louisiana
Country: USA
Vessel Name: M/V LUNASEA
Vessel Model: 45ft Bluewater Coastal
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 404
How long did it take to get to Middendorf's from Madisonville ?
kartracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 09:41 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Star0210's Avatar
 
City: Madisonville, LA
Country: US
Vessel Name: Sanctuary Of Sanity
Vessel Model: 1982 47' Bluewater
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 415
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragin cajun View Post
Now ya having fun! Check your raw water strainers for the ACs. Have to clean mine every week or two in Lake Ponch. Clogged water intakes will cause ACs to trip your breaker often. Amazing how rough that lake can get in those thunderstorms...stay away from them if you possibly can!
I cleaned it this morning. It's amazing how yucky it can get so quickly!
Star0210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 09:43 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Star0210's Avatar
 
City: Madisonville, LA
Country: US
Vessel Name: Sanctuary Of Sanity
Vessel Model: 1982 47' Bluewater
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 415
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbu22 View Post
Middendorf's for catfish chips! One of my favorites!

Lake P can go from flaaat to something resembling a bad day in the North sea in minutes. It's shallow, notorious for shifting erratic winds and short period breaking (and conflicting) seas. You'll get used to it. Keeps you on your toes.
The thin fried catfish is what just about everybody ordered...so good!
Star0210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 09:43 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Star0210's Avatar
 
City: Madisonville, LA
Country: US
Vessel Name: Sanctuary Of Sanity
Vessel Model: 1982 47' Bluewater
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 415
Quote:
Originally Posted by kartracer View Post
How long did it take to get to Middendorf's from Madisonville ?

It took us a little over 3 hours.
Star0210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 10:08 PM   #9
TF Site Team
 
Peter B's Avatar
 
City: Brisbane
Country: Australia
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 6,669
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star0210 View Post
I cleaned it this morning. It's amazing how yucky it can get so quickly!
Why don't you leave the ACs off when travelling, open things up, and get nature's AC going for free for you..? ( I was tempted to add, man & woman up - oh, I did say that, didn't I? ). Keep the Acs for when overnighting on those hot, muggy, still nights, or at anchor during the day in the same conditions, with no breeze. We regret not having it only a few times, in the peak say of a stinking hot summer.

Unless you have the interior all closed up, it's a waste of time running ACs anyway, (hey, we are in Queensland, so similar climate to Florida, so I know theses things, and we only have aircon at home, anyway), and getting out and about - the indoor - outdoor livin' - is what it's all supposed to be about, isn't it..?
__________________
Pete
Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 10:21 PM   #10
Guru
 
City: kemah
Country: USA
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 997
look at other blogs and start one. You will enjoy writing for it, and everyone will enjoy reading it. Somehow trying to blog on forums loses the flavor.
what_barnacles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 11:18 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Star0210's Avatar
 
City: Madisonville, LA
Country: US
Vessel Name: Sanctuary Of Sanity
Vessel Model: 1982 47' Bluewater
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 415
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
Why don't you leave the ACs off when travelling, open things up, and get nature's AC going for free for you..? ( I was tempted to add, man & woman up - oh, I did say that, didn't I? ). Keep the Acs for when overnighting on those hot, muggy, still nights, or at anchor during the day in the same conditions, with no breeze. We regret not having it only a few times, in the peak say of a stinking hot summer.

Unless you have the interior all closed up, it's a waste of time running ACs anyway, (hey, we are in Queensland, so similar climate to Florida, so I know theses things, and we only have aircon at home, anyway), and getting out and about - the indoor - outdoor livin' - is what it's all supposed to be about, isn't it..?
Ha! Everyday in the summer is a hot, muggy day here! Us ladies did have to go in for a while when the thunderstorm popped up. It would have been really yucky in there closed up without the AC on!
But hubby wanted to run the generator at full load for a while so we left the one on. Ordinarily for a day trip like that, I'd have them off and all the windows and doors open.
But I will admit to being spoiled.
Star0210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 11:19 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Star0210's Avatar
 
City: Madisonville, LA
Country: US
Vessel Name: Sanctuary Of Sanity
Vessel Model: 1982 47' Bluewater
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 415
Quote:
Originally Posted by what_barnacles View Post
look at other blogs and start one. You will enjoy writing for it, and everyone will enjoy reading it. Somehow trying to blog on forums loses the flavor.

I don't have enough interesting or worthwhile things to say in a blog.
If the good Lord is willing, and we get to fulfill our dreams down the road, I will definitely be blogging.
__________________

Star0210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:01 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012