Old 06-28-2014, 10:09 AM   #21
Guru

City: Tuckerton, NJ
Vessel Name: WIRELESS ONE
Vessel Model: 36 Gulstar MarkII
I have removed 5200 using a guitar string and 2 wooden handles. The stuff is like cement though it really has holding power. For a sealant I prefer 4200 or Butyl depending on the application.
Bill

Billylll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 10:59 AM   #22
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
When I don't need 5200 I almost always use Sika Flex. That means I usually use Sika Flex.

I've been thinking of another use for 5200 though. I have numerous holes in the floor of my 19' FG OB. The plywood floor is getting weak from water ingression in the past. Want to prevent more rotting plywood.

Thought of plugging the holes w 5200. But I think they may come loose over time. Thinking of putting a 1" dia pice of AL or SS over the 5200 or even a Quarter. Could catch a shoe on a quarter though. Another possibility would be to put a bit of FG cloth on top of the 5200. Do you think it would "wet out"?

Also when I install the seats later I want to glue pieces of wood or aluminum channel to the floor and attach the seats to the channel w bolts or screws. I'm thinking of Sika Flex for that.

Any ideas..???

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 06:09 PM   #23
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
Eric, I use 5200 for a lot of things but I don't think it's right for your soft plywood project. If you want to try a short cut, epoxy putty, fiberglass cloth and epoxy resin are the things to use.

The right way that will be to replace the soft plywood.
HopCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 08:59 PM   #24
Grand Vizier

Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
When I don't need 5200 I almost always use Sika Flex. That means I usually use Sika Flex.

I've been thinking of another use for 5200 though. I have numerous holes in the floor of my 19' FG OB. The plywood floor is getting weak from water ingression in the past. Want to prevent more rotting plywood.

Thought of plugging the holes w 5200. But I think they may come loose over time. Thinking of putting a 1" dia pice of AL or SS over the 5200 or even a Quarter. Could catch a shoe on a quarter though. Another possibility would be to put a bit of FG cloth on top of the 5200. Do you think it would "wet out"?

Also when I install the seats later I want to glue pieces of wood or aluminum channel to the floor and attach the seats to the channel w bolts or screws. I'm thinking of Sika Flex for that.

Any ideas..???
Eric, I guess it depends on whether you want to patch or fix. If patch, 5200 will stick like heck to solid wood and never come loose, but you'd have to be sure you were anchoring to solid wood. I think I would rather fix by saturating the punky wood with epoxy thinned with MEK, a.k.a. penetrating epoxy, then patched with wood dust thickened epoxy. If a couple extra pounds isn't an issue, then a single layer of epoxy glass over the outside of the hull up to the water line will make the repair permanent.
Old 06-28-2014, 09:35 PM   #25
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Oh yes Hop Car and Delfin,
I agree completely but my time is all tied up w one 30' trawler and house and property projects. At this point I'd really like to get ONE boat serviceable as we work on Willy. So all I need is registration, seats and several clean fuel tanks. Not much trouble.

So re your responses I think I'll just wait for some drier weather and zap the old holes w 5200. Thanks for the input.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 10:08 PM   #26
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
Willy, for mounting your seats: I have used this material available in different sizes at Lowes or HD almost indestructable and inexpensive. It can be cut with wood working tools and takes screws or glues including 5200 etc

Shop Royal Mouldings Limited 1.25-in x 2-in x 8-ft Interior/Exterior Paint Grade PVC Brick Moulding (Pattern 7526) at Lowes.com
Old 06-28-2014, 10:11 PM   #27
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Willy, for mounting your seats: I have used this material available in different sizes at Lowes or HD almost indestructable and inexpensive. It can be cut with wood working tools and takes screws or glues including 5200 etc

Shop Royal Mouldings Limited 1.25-in x 2-in x 8-ft Interior/Exterior Paint Grade PVC Brick Moulding (Pattern 7526) at Lowes.com
I have been looking into similar stuff...it does come in sheets too...haven't looked to far but looks interesting...

Sheet - AZEK Trim - Product - AZEK

psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote