3D Printed boat!

This looks rather cool!

https://www.cnbc.com/video/2019/10/1...d-printer.html
totalNewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 07:57 AM   #2
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. tN. WOW! I didn't know that 3D printing technology had grown to that size, literally. I DO, vaguely, recall recently hearing that there was some sort of problem with 3D printed objects having to do with weaknesses in chemical or mechanical bonding of the print media.

Perhaps this vessel might not be as strong as another produced using "better"/different techniques. VERY impressive end product but is it strong enough to actually work as intended?
Old 10-14-2019, 08:01 AM   #3
Veteran Member

City: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Mr. tN. WOW! I didn't know that 3D printing technology had grown to that size, literally. I DO, vaguely, recall recently hearing that there was some sort of problem with 3D printed objects having to do with weaknesses in chemical or mechanical bonding of the print media.

Perhaps this vessel might not be as strong as another produced using "better" techniques.
I reckon it's a technology worth watching, especially for boats. Imagine the cost benefits of producing a new Nordhavn in just one day!

Only a matter of time I reckon
totalNewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 10:31 AM   #4
DDW
Guru

City: San Francisco
3D printing has a long way to go before that is practical. The video was a stunt really. Polymer 3D printing doesn't produce anything you'd be willing to get more than a short swim's distance from the dock (it is similar to cast epoxy). Other forms of 3D printing are currently far slower, slower than traditional manufacturing methods. A part I can print in plastic might take 8 hours, while I can machine it out of stainless steel in 1/2 an hour.

The field is advancing rapidly though, so maybe in a decade or two. Perhaps the biggest advantage is the ability to print structures that are impossible to build any other way.
DDW is online now   Reply With Quote