AT-395 delivery video, unedited...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bruce B

Guru
Here is some raw, mostly unedited video, taken on a quick 80 mile delivery of an American Tug 395 from Stonington CT to Yarmouth ME. I do mean quick as the crew really pushed the boat as they got a late start and didn't want to be out at night without true instruments. At 14 to 15 knots it sure was quick by our sailing standards! We made the trip in about 6 hours and it was fun!
Can't wait until we take delivery of ours...these next 8 months or so are going to go by slowly.
Bruce

Wow, they can certainly scoot when needed. My wife would love that. What was the fuel burn at that speed, any idea..?

Wow, they can certainly scoot when needed. My wife would love that. What was the fuel burn at that speed, any idea..?

They were pushing!
I had an opportunity to perform a very crude speed fuel use table on the trip. When I say crude, I mean crude too. One direction only, just enough time at each rpm to see fuel numbers stabilize and even the rpm's were taken from a bar tachometer in the panel, probably a +/- 75 rpm range.
The other unknown was the condition of the bottom or what impact it has on a powerboat. The boat has been in the water since April mostly sitting on a mooring. On our sailboat that would have a huge impact on performance...no idea what it does to a 380 hp tug. By the way, we were using gps for speed in knots and we had a good .5 knot countercurrent anyway...
Bruce

Here are my numbers.

Quick sea trial data AT 395 #10

1200 rpm 1.7 gallons/hour
1400 rpm 2.6 gallons/hour
1600 rpm 3.6 gallons/hour
1800 rpm 5.0 gallons/hour 8 knots
2000 rpm 7.2 gallons/hour 8.7 knots
2200 rpm 9.6 gallons/hour 9.4 knots
2400 rpm 11.4 gallons/hour 10.5 knots
2600 rpm 15.4 gallons/hour 11.5 knots
2800 rpm 17.2 gallons/hour 13.5 knots
3050 rpm 19.5 gallons/hour 15.0 knots

Interesting. For roughly twice the speed, it consumes 4 times the fuel...sounds about right, and ok, I suppose, if one was really in a hurry.

My take on the boat is that it is a wonderful 6 to 10 knot boat with the ability to scoot when needed. Even at 12 knots it is fairly quiet, very stable and is a joy to be on.
We have been lucky to have this boat nearby this spring. The ability to go to the boat and just sit and look has been so helpful as we close in on our final option list for our build. We've also had opportunity to do both this 80 mile push and a more relaxed 30 mile run in the boat. Very helpful for a pair of sailors making the transit to power in terms of setting expectations.
Bruce

Interesting. For roughly twice the speed, it consumes 4 times the fuel...sounds about right, and ok, I suppose, if one was really in a hurry.

True, but you covered roughly twice the distance.

At 500,000 to 700,000 I don't think that will be a concern Pete!:blush:

Here is some raw, mostly unedited video, taken on a quick 80 mile delivery of an American Tug 395 from Stonington CT to Yarmouth ME. I do mean quick as the crew really pushed the boat as they got a late start and didn't want to be out at night without true instruments. At 14 to 15 knots it sure was quick by our sailing standards! We made the trip in about 6 hours and it was fun!
Can't wait until we take delivery of ours...these next 8 months or so are going to go by slowly.
Bruce

You have to be excited about this Bruce. Are you counting down by hours???

...You have to be excited about this Bruce. Are you counting down by hours???[/QUOTE said:
It is still a kind of surreal experience for me... I'm definitely beginning to ramp up though. I'm sure that the closer we get to production the more difficult it will become to wait.
Bruce

I would be living in a tent outside the factory door!!

Wifey B: The ultimate fuel savings is to sit. Not so great to save fuel if you don't get anywhere. :)

Closest I get to "what engine?" is mention of 380hp. Or did I miss it?
The smooth water would have helped a lot. Seemed quiet inside despite the hard run. Engine should be nicely run in.

True, but you covered roughly twice the distance.

Yes, quite right. Which means in effect, it only costs twice as much in fuel to get there in half the time. It would work for me, especially if I was in the position to afford a boat capable of that. :thumb:

Wifey B: The ultimate fuel savings is to sit. Not so great to save fuel if you don't get anywhere. :)

As has been mentioned In this thread, this isn't about fuel use. It is about extending the range and comfort compared to our sailboat (while under power!).
I'm sure we will put some miles on her, no need to worry on that score.
Bruce

Closest I get to "what engine?" is mention of 380hp. Or did I miss it?
The smooth water would have helped a lot. Seemed quiet inside despite the hard run. Engine should be nicely run in.

Cummins QSB, 380 hp.
Bruce

As has been mentioned In this thread, this isn't about fuel use. It is about extending the range and comfort compared to our sailboat (while under power!).
I'm sure we will put some miles on her, no need to worry on that score.
Bruce

Wifey B: That was just for those who think it's all about fuel consumption and gallons per hour. :)

Nice vid. I like the galley layout, and the frig on top design.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom