Old 04-15-2014, 12:28 PM   #1

City: Gimli Manitoba
Vessel Name: Daydream
Vessel Model: Hershine 37 twin cabin
37 Hershine

I'm looking at purchasing a 1984 37 Hershine with twin 185 Perkins turbos . The boat look's to be in average to above average shape for a boat this old. Would anyone like to comment be good, bad or indifferent. And if you owned a 37 would you cruse it from San Diego to Vancouver.
Mark Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 01:06 AM   #2
Guru

City: Santa Cruz, CA
Vessel Name: Concerto
Vessel Model: 1980 Cheoy Lee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Snow View Post
I'm looking at purchasing a 1984 37 Hershine with twin 185 Perkins turbos . The boat look's to be in average to above average shape for a boat this old. Would anyone like to comment be good, bad or indifferent. And if you owned a 37 would you cruse it from San Diego to Vancouver.
I can only comment that the only way I would take that boat north is by truck due to the dangerous sea conditions in northern california and oregon. But that should not be deal breaker for you buying the boat.
There are plenty of hershine owners here that can help you assess the condition and value of that trawler though. I'm sure they will chime in.

And welcome to trawler forum!
bligh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 05:06 AM   #3
FF
Guru

And if you owned a 37 would you cruse it from San Diego to Vancouver.

For a delivery , sure , as a hobby , probably not.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 07:42 PM   #4
Guru

City: Gibsons, B.C., Canada
Vessel Name: Island Pride
Vessel Model: Palmer 32'
It can be done and has been done often with larger boats but also with smaller.

You must be well prepared, KNOW that the running equipment is in good condition, fuel and filtering top notch and tanks clean. Even if conditions are good it could still be rough enough to stir fuel tank junk up.

Know how to read and dodge weather, know where the bolt holes are.

There are weather forcasters who make a specialty of forecasts specific to a region that can be very usefull to people like you.

Be aware that many bolt holes are also river outlets or large bays which on an ebb can produce strong currents and if you catch them on an ebbtide against a building, opposing wind can then become very dangerous. I could have been clearer; the entrances very dangerous.

You need to know how much fuel the boat carries and how much it uses at what speeds and not push the range too much.

Radar would be a good thing with the knowledge of how to read it. You likely will find fog whether you want to or not.

And of course not be in a rush. If you are and not willing to wait for reliably GOOD conditions then you could well land in trouble, big trouble.

I'm sure others can fill in lots more, folk who have done it and there a several aboard this forum.
C lectric is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 06:18 PM   #5
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Vessel Model: Monk 36
A friend has one (Newburyport). Beware of soft decks and the core materials behind the glass that the rub rail is mounted onto. His was severely cracked along its length with brown fluid stains running out of everywhere. The cabin wreeked of diesel fuel but could not find the leak in the engine room. I'm guessing the fuel tank(s) was leaking behind the soundproofing material. There were several big repair jobs in his future.
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Currently in Cape May, NJ
High Wire is online now   Reply With Quote