Old 03-10-2015, 05:06 PM   #81
Guru

City: I need a bigger boat!
Vessel Model: Cheetah 25' Powercat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski in NC View Post
Cold molded boat here: 38'x12', single 450. Displacement about 7 tons. 7.5kt at 1.9gph, 18kt at 9gph, 20kt at 12gph, tops out at 29kts clean bottom. Cold molded is how it's done here in Carolina- lighter than any solid glass boat, and if built well they are very strong.

But very labor intensive to build, so expensive. Unless you provide your own free labor for two years like I did. Whew..
Those are fantastic numbers, exceptional. But then after 2 years of work you've definitely earned it! 7 tons in a 38' boat is only a dream with grp.

I believe I have one more boat in me; I've already built a steel 60' by 13' barge. But in a couple of years I'll be 60 so I can't hang around too long.

What design is she?

Old 03-10-2015, 05:35 PM   #82
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Quote:
Cold molded boat here: 38'x12', single 450. Displacement about 7 tons. 7.5kt at 1.9gph, 18kt at 9gph, 20kt at 12gph, tops out at 29kts clean bottom. Cold molded is how it's done here in Carolina- lighter than any solid glass boat, and if built well they are very strong.

But very labor intensive to build, so expensive. Unless you provide your own free labor for two years like I did. Whew..
Ski

No doubt in my mind, as compared to the other vessels mentioned on this thread, your vessel is the cream of the crop for the many reasons you have cited.

sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 06:57 PM   #83
Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustybarge View Post
Those are fantastic numbers, exceptional. But then after 2 years of work you've definitely earned it! 7 tons in a 38' boat is only a dream with grp.

I believe I have one more boat in me; I've already built a steel 60' by 13' barge. But in a couple of years I'll be 60 so I can't hang around too long.

What design is she?

Thanks, guys.

Here's a video of it about 8yr ago. It was a prototype for a skinny water drive I designed. The drive worked well in many regards, but I could not get it to steer worth a crap offshore. Long story, many changes made, still no love offshore.

Finally two years ago I converted it to a tunnel with straight drive and rudder. Now all the handling issues are gone, and it gained 3kts. Same engine and gear, 450C Cummins, ZF280 1.514, 24x23 3b wheel.

With the new drive, it still has that nice level running angle. Hull numbers for the modified vee came from a 34 Carolina hull, stretched in length about 3.5ft by carrying existing lines aft.

Made a believer out me in terms of designing light and long.

Another boat, a very old Omie Tillet 52 I worked on- Two 300hp detroit 8v71n, topped out in the mid 20's, cruised 18-20. 52 feet and 600hp. Ran flat, too.

A modern 52 will have around 1500hp, and they lose the magic with the weight.

I know none of these are true trawlers, but they do dang well at trawler speed. With other options!!!
Ski in NC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 07:10 PM   #84
TF Site Team

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Model: Carver 356
Rusty, I hate to say it...but you are basically looking for a boat that does not exist unless you build it yourself.

Here is my last entry into this contest!!!! And it is right up your alley although above budget. A neat honorable mention at the very least!!!
2004 Shannon 38 Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Coincidently almost exactly the same numbers as Ski's boat!!!
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 07:13 PM   #85
TF Site Team

And the Albin I was mentioning is the 33+3...not 32+2. They are very different boats!!! And only one for sale in the entire United States....World maybe. You used to be able to find a lot of these boats on YW....I guess people like them and are hanging onto them.
Old 03-10-2015, 07:31 PM   #86
Guru

Quote:

Thanks, guys.

Here's a video of it about 8yr ago. It was a prototype for a skinny water drive I designed. The drive worked well in many regards, but I could not get it to steer worth a crap offshore. Long story, many changes made, still no love offshore.

Finally two years ago I converted it to a tunnel with straight drive and rudder. Now all the handling issues are gone, and it gained 3kts. Same engine and gear, 450C Cummins, ZF280 1.514, 24x23 3b wheel.

With the new drive, it still has that nice level running angle. Hull numbers for the modified vee came from a 34 Carolina hull, stretched in length about 3.5ft by carrying existing lines aft.

Made a believer out me in terms of designing light and long.

Another boat, a very old Omie Tillet 52 I worked on- Two 300hp detroit 8v71n, topped out in the mid 20's, cruised 18-20. 52 feet and 600hp. Ran flat, too.

A modern 52 will have around 1500hp, and they lose the magic with the weight.

I know none of these are true trawlers, but they do dang well at trawler speed. With other options!!!
I love that hull with the bow flair; gorgeous boat.

I'm just guessing that the lifting prop wasn't a surface drive as the prop looked conventional. Did the prop shaft lift with a rubber membrane around the prop tube where it entered the hull, or was it a 'universal joint' where the shaft exited the hull?
Old 03-10-2015, 07:38 PM   #87
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker View Post
Rusty, I hate to say it...but you are basically looking for a boat that does not exist unless you build it yourself.

Here is my last entry into this contest!!!! And it is right up your alley although above budget. A neat honorable mention at the very least!!!
2004 Shannon 38 Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Coincidently almost exactly the same numbers as Ski's boat!!!
Looks like a lobster boat that got the bow pinched by a lobster! Very narrow forward and very wide aft; looks a bit weird and out of proportion.

About 6-7 tons seems to be max displ. That is efficient and economical as a s/d
hull and also at 7kts.

All the same a very interesting boat.
Old 03-10-2015, 07:39 PM   #88
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker View Post
And the Albin I was mentioning is the 33+3...not 32+2. They are very different boats!!! And only one for sale in the entire United States....World maybe. You used to be able to find a lot of these boats on YW....I guess people like them and are hanging onto them.
Where have you got it hidden? Have you got a Link?
Old 03-10-2015, 07:40 PM   #89
Guru

If you want speed and efficiency it is all about weight-power ratio to weight-beam wetted surface and the shape of the bottom. Ski's boat is an example of relatively light. Most of the lite build run opposite to the cottage on the water trend in trawler types and particularly in older boats. Some of the newer boats are applying the light idea where the public will accept it. I am also somewhat hesitant to believe all the fuel burn values posted for trawlers since there is little if any detailed information on how these #'s were obtained.
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 08:18 PM   #90
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyschulman View Post
If you want speed and efficiency it is all about weight-power ratio to weight-beam wetted surface and the shape of the bottom. Ski's boat is an example of relatively light. Most of the lite build run opposite to the cottage on the water trend in trawler types and particularly in older boats. Some of the newer boats are applying the light idea where the public will accept it. I am also somewhat hesitant to believe all the fuel burn values posted for trawlers since there is little if any detailed information on how these #'s were obtained.
Motor boat magazine did a controlled fuel consumption test a few years ago with accurate fuel metering equipment on two Aquador Swedish boats, but with engines from Volvo cummins and Yanmar.

The result was that the figures they had been quoting for the last decade were 50% out based on manufactures figures. Bet you Can guess which way.

New boaters must get some shock when they're told a 34' trawler does 1.5mpg at 15 kts when they were thinking 15mpg would be bad!

Program on the BBC recently revealed that car manufactures figures are 25% out. They tested over 3 hundred cars and..... Most small petrol hatchbacks do about 50 mpg not 65 mph as advertised, and most small diesels not 80mpg but 60 mpg........and when you think of the variables on a boat test it's not suprising the difference in results.
Old 03-11-2015, 10:45 AM   #91
TF Site Team

Quote:
Where have you got it hidden? Have you got a Link?
2001 Albin 36 Trawler Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Old 03-11-2015, 11:00 AM   #92
Guru

That's cheating; it's a 36' boat!

Proper trawler with the rear-leaning windows.
Old 03-14-2015, 01:34 PM   #93
Guru

Tut tut tut, none of you mentioned the Great Lakes 33'
http://www.yachtworld.co.uk/boats/19...s#.VQRxkCcgGSP
Dimensions
LOA: 32 ft 5 in
Beam: 11 ft 5 in
Displacement: 11500 lbs

Engines
Total Power: 165 HP

Engine 1:
Engine Brand: Volvo
Engine Model: TAMD 40 B
Engine Type: Inboard
Engine/Fuel Type: Diesel
Engine Hours: 2296
Drive Type: Shaft Drive
Engine Power: 165 HP

Cruising Speed: 9 knots
Maximum Speed: 15 knots

Is this a sea boat or just for lake use?

Quote:
. Builder: Ontario Yachts Designer: Ken Ball

Cruising Speed is 9 knots with a top end of around 15 knots

This engine is the largest one used by the builder in these boats and makes reaching cruising speeds very easy and because it doesn`t work hard the fuel efficiency is very good.
Old 03-14-2015, 02:02 PM   #94
Guru

City: East Greenwich, RI
Vessel Name: Bella
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 34
Quote:
I wanted a trawler with big saloon and covered aft cockpit, with a big flybridge to get the biggest floating cottage possible in a small package.

At least now I know the numbers I'm looking for: 6tons/300hp/34' by 12' for 3-4mpg at 7 kts.
You won't find the first sentence with the second sentence (6 tonnes, 12' beam) in the same boat. One or the other has to give. If you want the size then the weight goes up to 9 tonnes like the newer Mainship 34T which isn't a 15 kt cruising boat, more like 12 kts.

If you can live with less size then the Albin 32, MS Pilot 34, etc can cruise at 15 kts on a single 300+ hp engine.

David
djmarchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 02:10 PM   #95
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmarchand View Post
You won't find the first sentence with the second sentence (6 tonnes, 12' beam) in the same boat. One or the other has to give. If you want the size then the weight goes up to 9 tonnes like the newer Mainship 34T which isn't a 15 kt cruising boat, more like 12 kts.

If you can live with less size then the Albin 32, MS Pilot 34, etc can cruise at 15 kts on a single 300+ hp engine.

David
I think you're right; I've reduced my criteria to 32' by 12' and 6tons or less.
Old 03-14-2015, 03:28 PM   #96
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
4 knots shy of your 15 desired but an interesting boat nonetheless.

Overview - SeaPiper

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 04:13 PM   #97
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
4 knots shy of your 15 desired but an interesting boat nonetheless.

Overview - SeaPiper
Thanks for that link.
It's a very interesting boat at a very reasonable price.

Love the work boat lines; not too sure about the central cockpit idea.

LOA: 34ft / 10.30 m
Beam: 8ft-6in / 2.60 m
Draft: 2ft-10in / 0.85 m
Displacement: 15,500 lbs / 7050 kg
Headroom: 6ft-5in / 1.96m
Fuel: 300 gal / 1140 liters
Water: 100 gal / 380 liters
Engine: 110hp Yanmar 4JH4
Speed: 11 knots
Old 03-14-2015, 04:21 PM   #98
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
The description indicates the 110 hp Yanmar as a "base" engine. I "assume" by that a larger engine is available that would reach the speed hump you desire at the co$t of fuel efficiency. I have seen the center cockpit design before and must admit that it is growing on me.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 05:03 PM   #99
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
The description indicates the 110 hp Yanmar as a "base" engine. I "assume" by that a larger engine is available that would reach the speed hump you desire at the co$t of fuel efficiency. I have seen the center cockpit design before and must admit that it is growing on me.
Going on the old MS34 at 6 tons and 250hp to do 15kts, it would probably need about 300hp at 7. Tons?

Looks quite doable.
Old 03-14-2015, 10:31 PM   #100
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
New boaters must get some shock when they're told a 34' trawler does 1.5mpg at 15 kts when they were thinking 15mpg would be bad! ...
Misinformation if not downright lies. Try six knots.