Old 03-04-2015, 08:38 AM   #61

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Wine Down
Vessel Model: Riviera 35' FB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustybarge View Post
....and just to blow away the cobwebs and have a blast at planing speed!
I'm sure we'd enjoy a Kilkenny or two if we ever met up.

shufti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 08:49 AM   #62
Guru

City: I need a bigger boat!
Vessel Model: Cheetah 25' Powercat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shufti View Post
I'm sure we'd enjoy a Kilkenny or two if we ever met up.
The Irish and Aussies are very close in personality.

We hate authority and believe in the individual above all else; and few pints of the black stuff.

What does 'enjoy a Kilkenny' mean?

Old 03-04-2015, 09:09 AM   #63

City: Spring Lake, MI
Vessel Name: Great Laker
Vessel Model: American Tug 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endurance View Post
The 34 ft American Tug with standard 370 hp Cummins will top out at 17-18 kts, and is equally comfortable cruising at 14 kts or 7 kts.
Here is an American Tug doing 17-18 knots during a full speed test run on the Champlain Canal. I may have posted this before, but it does show this SD hull is capable of planing off nicely. The ATs hold their value very well and those produced in 2001 can be found for $175K - $195K. I know of at least on AT in Europe. This appears to be outside of your price range?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AT 34 on plane 2.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	37938  
adventuresofgreatlaker.blogspot.com
Great Laker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 09:18 AM   #64
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Laker View Post
Here is an American Tug doing 17-18 knots during a full speed test run on the Champlain Canal. I may have posted this before, but it does show this SD hull is capable of planing off nicely. The ATs hold their value very well and those produced in 2001 can be found for $175K - $195K. I know of at least on AT in Europe. This appears to be outside of your price range?
It looks very capable and well balanced at 18kts.

Unfortunately my budget was '$100k or less, sort of in that region'

I might be able to get one my children ( now grown up) to chip in a few pounds.
Old 03-04-2015, 11:29 AM   #65
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: The Promise
Vessel Model: Roughwater 35
Quote:
Beneteau who make the swift trawler had a law suit concerning this.
A boat went aground on a sandy beach and the hull crumpled and the boat sank on the high tide.

The owner sued for negligence, stating the hull was too thin.
The manufacturer blamed a rock for putting a hole the hull.

Not sure who won.....
The rock.
Old 03-04-2015, 05:10 PM   #66

Quote:
The Irish and Aussies are very close in personality.

We hate authority and believe in the individual above all else; and few pints of the black stuff.

What does 'enjoy a Kilkenny' mean?

Yes, we are. Plus we both like beating the pomms

"enjoy a kilkenny"
Old 03-04-2015, 05:27 PM   #67
Guru

I don`t know about the 34, but the larger ST seemed to move about/rock as I moved about inspecting it at a Boat Show. (I`m< 85kg).
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 05:45 PM   #68
Guru

Quote:
Yes, we are. Plus we both like beating the pomms

"enjoy a kilkenny"
I'll give it a try; I've never tasted it before.

Ps: this explains why I've never heard of it; it's for export.

Quote:
. Kilkenny is similar to Smithwick's Draught; however, has less hop finish and it has a nitrogenated cream head similar to Guinness. The 'Kilkenny' name was originally used during the 1980s and 1990s to market a stronger version of Smithwick's for the European and Canadian market due to difficulty in pronunciation of the word 'Smithwick's'. It now refers to a similar yet distinct beer.
Old 03-04-2015, 05:46 PM   #69
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
I don`t know about the 34, but the larger ST seemed to move about/rock as I moved about inspecting it at a Boat Show. (I`m< 85kg).
Must be very finely balanced!
Old 03-04-2015, 06:13 PM   #70

Well there you go - never realized it was export only. The Irish version of our Fosters I guess (no one drinks that down here).I should have said 'enjoy a few guiness'.
Old 03-04-2015, 06:18 PM   #71
Guru

Quote:
Well there you go - never realized it was export only. The Irish version of our Fosters I guess (no one drinks that down here).I should have said 'enjoy a few guiness'.
Wow, I never knew Fosters wasn't available in OZ.

Bloody advertising executives messing with our minds. Lol.
Old 03-04-2015, 06:26 PM   #72
Guru

The Fosters brand is now owned offshore by Miller SA. Kirin of Japan is another big offshore based brewer of "local" beers.
Rusty, I don`t think it was one too many Fosters, I really was surprised at the ST movement.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 06:56 PM   #73
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
The Fosters brand is now owned offshore by Miller SA. Kirin of Japan is another big offshore based brewer of "local" beers.
Rusty, I don`t think it was one too many Fosters, I really was surprised at the ST movement.
Maybe that's the swift trawler bit; it's a lightweight for its size. The St 44 which is 2' longer than the GB42 weighs 11tons Vs. The GB's 16tons.

But instead of the GB 1/2 mpg, the St44 does:
1500rev. 8kts. 13ltrs. 2.8 mpg
2600. 15kts. 58ltr 1.2mpg
3600. 24kts. 117ltr. 0.95 mpg

Impressive!
Old 03-10-2015, 08:19 AM   #74

City: Bay Shore NY
Vessel Name: Alexa Grace
Vessel Model: Rosborough Pocket Trawler
16 kts.

For 22 years we owned a 32 Albin Sportfish. While not exactly a "trawler" that is what we used her for. Cruises on Long Island Sound; to FL and back; and the Bahamas. She cruised easily at 16 kts. burning 8 GPH and 10 GOPH towing a 16 foot center console. We often cruised at hull speed (travelled quite a bit with "real" trawlers) but on occasion it was nice to get up and go across the stream from FL to Abaco. Or run away from a storm. Single Cummins with a bow thruster made it a very economical and easy to handle boat
jprohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 08:33 AM   #75
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jprohan View Post
For 22 years we owned a 32 Albin Sportfish. While not exactly a "trawler" that is what we used her for. Cruises on Long Island Sound; to FL and back; and the Bahamas. She cruised easily at 16 kts. burning 8 GPH and 10 GOPH towing a 16 foot center console. We often cruised at hull speed (travelled quite a bit with "real" trawlers) but on occasion it was nice to get up and go across the stream from FL to Abaco. Or run away from a storm. Single Cummins with a bow thruster made it a very economical and easy to handle boat
Was this the type of boat: 1989 Albin 32 Sportfisher Power New and Used Boats for Sale -

It's at the magic weight of about 6-61/2 tons same as MS 34' mk1.

Very good performance from 250hp.
Old 03-10-2015, 02:11 PM   #76

City: Bay Shore NY
Vessel Name: Alexa Grace
Vessel Model: Rosborough Pocket Trawler
32 Albin

Yes that is the boat. The first ones came with the 250; it was under powered and only made 12 kts. Mine had the 300 and,later the 350 (same engine; different turbo) and I was very pleased with the speed and the economy. I ran it from NY to FL in 98; at speed (16) all the way. It took 100 hrs. and burned less than 1000 gals. Ran it back in 07; 101 hrs (must have got lost somewhere) and the same fuel usage.
I really miss my Albin, but we downsized to a 25 Rosborough pocket trawler. Now I cruise at 60MPH...on Rte. 95!
jprohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 02:57 PM   #77
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jprohan View Post
Yes that is the boat. The first ones came with the 250; it was under powered and only made 12 kts. Mine had the 300 and,later the 350 (same engine; different turbo) and I was very pleased with the speed and the economy. I ran it from NY to FL in 98; at speed (16) all the way. It took 100 hrs. and burned less than 1000 gals. Ran it back in 07; 101 hrs (must have got lost somewhere) and the same fuel usage.
I really miss my Albin, but we downsized to a 25 Rosborough pocket trawler. Now I cruise at 60MPH...on Rte. 95!
Snap!

I'm in the process of building my little cat; the one that's under my name. it will be a trailer boat as well. 25' by 8' and 1.5 tons. It will cruise at 15 kts on twin 40hp OB's, but I'm going to run a single 90hp and a little standby which should top out at 25kts.

It'll fit inside a shipping container just! (3-4mm to spare)

I have the alloy frame bolted onto the bulwarks, and I will be riveting alco (Polythene sandwich with alloy exterior) panels onto the roof. I've become obsessed with weight as it's a cat and the designer has specified super lightweight materials.

Any pics of your trailer boat ?
Old 03-10-2015, 03:01 PM   #78
TF Site Team

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Model: Carver 356
Another boat that has not been mentioned is the Albin 33+3 or whatever they called it. While most were built with 2 engines, there are a few here and there with a Single Cummins 6CTA at 450hp.

In the end, You are in no man's land with your request. A 35 foot boat is just too much boat to have one engine and expect it to plane. The only reason I know this is I have been looking for this boat as well...and basically, it just does not exist. Another issue with the ones that do fit your criteria is that you are getting 15kts at WOT. If you back off to a reasonable power setting you are likely to fall off plane and end up in that very inefficient 10-12 knot range. So getting a boat with your intents with a 15kt WOT is not really what you are looking for. You want a boat that will CRUISE at 15kts. There just aren't many 35 foot boats with one engine that will do it.

NOW...That Powercat is a REAL boat that will do what you want. But you already said that is out due to marina issues. And it also has two engines.

The only other REAL boat I can think of would be the Mainship Pilot 30 or 34. I have owned the 30 footer and it was an absolutely wonderful boat. My only issue was very minimal interior space. The solution to that would be the 34. The engines got bigger as the product line evolved but I still think the older ones would have a 13-14 knot cruise. You asked if it is a planing hull. It is a semi-planing hull. But they plane out very well and have a very seakindly hull shape. My 30 had the smaller 240hp engine and it still maxed out close to 23kts....but its happy place was 15 knots at 2800RPMs.

NOW Again!!!!!.....You have to get creative ref your "trawler" criteria. Why do you want a "trawler"? There are some very decent boats out there that people will not classify as a trawler...but still meet your criteria in every other way. I do not have a "trawler" but it is a very useful boat and a very decent boat to travel in. It does have two big thirsty diesels that I just plan 1mpg. But I can get 2mpg if I go 7kts...maybe a bit more if I go on one engine. But I did not buy this boat to go slow. I bought it because I value my time and can cover more ground when I am not working. I have gone slow before and loved it and have nothing against it. I look forward to going slowly in retirement. But until then, 18kts it is.

As far as outrunning the weather...you get it as does your other mate on this thread. It is not about racing a weather system. Speed just gives you more options in dealing with weather. There are many places on this earth that have afternoon seabreezes that can become uncomfortable as they develop(Mistral???). And for Americans that are reading this.....Do you plan on going from Apalachicola, FL to the Tampa area....you can do that during daylight with a planing boat. You are in for an overnighter in a 7kt boat. Again, no big deal but why not do it during daylight? You know weather is coming and while you are not racing an actual system, you may be trying to make a crossing before the weather impacts your progress. IOW, speed leaves you less exposed.

That's all I got....for now!
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 04:26 PM   #79
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker View Post
Another boat that has not been mentioned is the Albin 33+3 or whatever they called it. While most were built with 2 engines, there are a few here and there with a Single Cummins 6CTA at 450hp.

In the end, You are in no man's land with your request. A 35 foot boat is just too much boat to have one engine and expect it to plane. The only reason I know this is I have been looking for this boat as well...and basically, it just does not exist. Another issue with the ones that do fit your criteria is that you are getting 15kts at WOT. If you back off to a reasonable power setting you are likely to fall off plane and end up in that very inefficient 10-12 knot range. So getting a boat with your intents with a 15kt WOT is not really what you are looking for. You want a boat that will CRUISE at 15kts. There just aren't many 35 foot boats with one engine that will do it.

NOW...That Powercat is a REAL boat that will do what you want. But you already said that is out due to marina issues. And it also has two engines.

The only other REAL boat I can think of would be the Mainship Pilot 30 or 34. I have owned the 30 footer and it was an absolutely wonderful boat. My only issue was very minimal interior space. The solution to that would be the 34. The engines got bigger as the product line evolved but I still think the older ones would have a 13-14 knot cruise. You asked if it is a planing hull. It is a semi-planing hull. But they plane out very well and have a very seakindly hull shape. My 30 had the smaller 240hp engine and it still maxed out close to 23kts....but its happy place was 15 knots at 2800RPMs.

NOW Again!!!!!.....You have to get creative ref your "trawler" criteria. Why do you want a "trawler"? There are some very decent boats out there that people will not classify as a trawler...but still meet your criteria in every other way. I do not have a "trawler" but it is a very useful boat and a very decent boat to travel in. It does have two big thirsty diesels that I just plan 1gpm. But I can get 2gpm if I go 7kts...maybe a bit more if I go on one engine. But I did not buy this boat to go slow. I bought it because I value my time and can cover more ground when I am not working. I have gone slow before and loved it and have nothing against it. I look forward to going slowly in retirement. But until then, 18kts it is.

As far as outrunning the weather...you get it as does your other mate on this thread. It is not about racing a weather system. Speed just gives you more options in dealing with weather. There are many places on this earth that have afternoon seabreezes that can become uncomfortable as they develop(Mistral???). And for Americans that are reading this.....Do you plan on going from Apalachicola, FL to the Tampa area....you can do that during daylight with a planing boat. You are in for an overnighter in a 7kt boat. Again, no big deal but why not do it during daylight? You know weather is coming and while you are not racing an actual system, you may be trying to make a crossing before the weather impacts your progress. IOW, speed leaves you less exposed.

That's all I got....for now!
Thanks for all your helpful advise.

Unfortunately The albin 32+2 and the MS pilot have very small saloons/wheel houses although they do have the performance I was looking for; exactly like you were saying!

I wanted a trawler with big saloon and covered aft cockpit, with a big flybridge to get the biggest floating cottage possible in a small package. Rough weather handling isn't something a coward like me is interested in, that's why I wanted the 15 kts 'run for it ' option as well.

My budget of about $100k would buy an early 2000 pilot 34 but not the 2005 MS 34' trawler.

2mpg at 7 kts is more fuel consumption than I can afford; diesel is still expensive €5 a gallon, so 100 miles traveled will cost €250.

At least now I know the numbers I'm looking for: 6tons/300hp/34' by 12' for 3-4mpg at 7 kts. That's a lot more than I knew before!
Old 03-10-2015, 04:50 PM   #80
Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
Cold molded boat here: 38'x12', single 450. Displacement about 7 tons. 7.5kt at 1.9gph, 18kt at 9gph, 20kt at 12gph, tops out at 29kts clean bottom. Cold molded is how it's done here in Carolina- lighter than any solid glass boat, and if built well they are very strong.

But very labor intensive to build, so expensive. Unless you provide your own free labor for two years like I did. Whew..

Ski in NC is online now   Reply With Quote