Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-10-2017, 10:43 PM   #1
TF Site Team
 
FlyWright's Avatar
 
City: California Delta and SF Bay
Country: Sacramento, CA, USA (boat in Vallejo)
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 11,896
2017 Trondheim Hybrid Trawler



2017 Trondheim Trawler Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Besides a fugly boat, what am I missing here? At $650,001, gimme two!

I bet they've never produced a thing, but I love the concept. I've often pondered a diesel-over-electric design like this....similar to train locomotives. I thought it was odd that there was no solar, though.

Thank God their Inside Equipment list includes a battery charger!

http://www.trondheimtrawlers.com/
__________________
Advertisement

FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 09:00 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
slowandsteady's Avatar
 
City: North Kingstown, RI
Country: USA
Vessel Model: Mainship 34 III
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 164
Yes, I agree, very interesting design. But it's kind of a leap of faith to cross an ocean on a vessel that is powered by a motor that only has a few low horsepower outboards on the market. And I didn't know Torqeedo makes generators.
__________________

slowandsteady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 09:46 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
City: Houston
Country: USA
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 316
I don't really get why it has to be shaped that way above the waterline.
CDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 08:40 AM   #4
Guru
 
City: Fairport
Country: United States
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 1,332
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post


2017 Trondheim Trawler Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Besides a fugly boat, what am I missing here? At $650,001, gimme two!

I bet they've never produced a thing, but I love the concept. I've often pondered a diesel-over-electric design like this....similar to train locomotives. I thought it was odd that there was no solar, though.

Thank God their Inside Equipment list includes a battery charger!

Trondheim Trawlers world first electric trawlers
Scam; Let's begin with some simple math.

I read a claim of 2500nm range.
Let's make a few assumptions.
8kts, 2500nm = around 300 hours running time.
Lets say just 20hp from each engine is required, that's running about 30kW.
At the 300 hours, that's 9MWhours.
A single gr31 deep cycle is good for about 1kWhour, so, that the equiv of 9 thousand grp31 are required.

On the diesel electric thing. Trains need a very high torque at zero speed. IC motors can't do that without a lossy torque convertor, electric motors can. Boats sit in water, and props slip at zero water speed. That problem is already solved. DE in a boat gives you the option of mounting the engines off the shaft line, but that is not a hugely desireable option in other than a turbine powered ship, like a turbine powered destroyer.
diver dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 09:42 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
SeaMoose's Avatar
 
City: Anchor Pointe, Ohio
Vessel Name: Sea Moose
Vessel Model: 1976 34' D/C Taiwanese Trawler
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 249
There's clearly a market for these things.

Passagemaker Magazine will devote three issues to gushing about how totally awesome it is. Glad I cancelled my subscription!

But I am with you, the math on these never adds up. Probably not an issue as the kind of folks that need this status symbol aren't likely to take it all that far anyway....
SeaMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 09:45 AM   #6
Guru
 
MurrayM's Avatar
 
City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Country: Canada
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 4,437
Quote:
Originally Posted by diver dave View Post
Scam; Let's begin with some simple math.

I read a claim of 2500nm range.
Let's make a few assumptions.
8kts, 2500nm = around 300 hours running time.
Lets say just 20hp from each engine is required, that's running about 30kW.
At the 300 hours, that's 9MWhours.
A single gr31 deep cycle is good for about 1kWhour, so, that the equiv of 9 thousand grp31 are required.
Are you factoring in 925 gallons of diesel and an integrated generator?

Some manufacturers give ranges at different speeds...a similar thing would be helpful with this technology, such as what ratio of diesel generator run time vs solely running on stored electric power at different speeds with the approximate distances.
__________________
"The most interesting path between two points is not a straight line" Murray Minchin
MurrayM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 12:19 PM   #7
Guru
 
City: Port Townsend
Country: North America
Vessel Name: The Promise
Vessel Model: Roughwater 35
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1,556
The Torquedo in the Trondheim looks interesting. Wonder what it would cost?

Torqeedo wins top award for innovative electric drive
dhmeissner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 12:36 PM   #8
Guru
 
City: Melbourne, FL
Country: USA
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 1,327
The hull shape looks like the Ulstein X-Bow used on many open ocean service vessels.

I have wondered about the inefficiencies of a diesel / electric configuration, since you often need a genset anyway. Especially when you could have a "twin engine" configuration by having twin motor & props (or even electric pod drives). This would be nice for a catamaran, where you would have one engine / genset, and electric drives in each hull.
stubones99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 03:00 PM   #9
Guru
 
City: Fairport
Country: United States
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 1,332
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayM View Post
Are you factoring in 925 gallons of diesel and an integrated generator?

Some manufacturers give ranges at different speeds...a similar thing would be helpful with this technology, such as what ratio of diesel generator run time vs solely running on stored electric power at different speeds with the approximate distances.
I'm not sure even 40hp will let this thing go upwind much. But, going with the genset ON argument, you need a 50kW +/- genset. And, yes, that genset might be quieter than 2 x 30 hp diesels, maybe. And, you are hostage to the reliability of a single genset and worse, the electrics don't add reliability. So, many will want a 2 x 30kW gensets. And, both will usually be running on a passage. Ultimately, there is conversion loss from engine to electric, then electric to shaft. It actually makes more sense from an thermal efficiency view with gasoline engines, ones that are more efficient running wide open, constant rpm, or with gas turbines. Dont' think that is the case with diesels.

When batteries have a volumetric specific energy of perhaps 10x todays lithium, we are getting in the ballpark. Not there yet.
__________________

diver dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:17 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012