2017 Loopers Awareness

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BandB

Guru
Water is very high right now. Of course they've delayed opening the Erie Canal until later this month, May 19, and things may change by then. However, right now Lake Ontario is about 3' above last year's levels. The west half of Champlain Canal bridge C-2 is reporting reduced air draft. At least one boater who goes up the canal every year to spend the summer, is taking the long way around the St. Lawrence Seaway this year since his clearance last year was extremely close. I would just advise that as you get closer, you are in touch with the canal system, especially if your air draft is even close. I think by the time it opens it will be much closer to normal, but can't be sure.

Cannot wait for May 19th!!! Just hope they won't delay Rideau opening.
But for sure rivers are monsters right now up here, never saw them like that And they forecast again more rain for the next 3 days what will not help.

L.

Good Advice. The issue at the Champlain canal is safety netting under the western span. It is no due to water levels. But if you are going to be in the canals this summer, you should sign up for the NY canal news updates.

Just launched today on Lake Erie. Locals are talking about water levels. There are evacuation plans for Toronto Islands. And rain warnings out for the next three days.

I read this elsewhere:

State of emergency has been declared for most of the southern shore of Lake Ontario. Many marinas are flooded or closed. The high water is also putting much debris into the water. Washed out trees, docks, etc.
Any captain attempting Lake Ontario should check with locals and locks first.​

Now a lot can change quickly and between now and opening of the canal this year.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom