Old 06-03-2014, 02:00 PM   #1
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
2017 35th America's Cup Protocol Released

Bring it on, boys!! Can't wait for the next round of Rock 'em-Sock 'em sailboats!

Who's up for the challenge? Rules released for America's Cup - 35th America's Cup

http://ac.mueva.eu/media/files/m187_...l-for-ac35.pdf

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 02:28 PM   #2

City: Benicia CA
Only a couple of months behind schedule in releasing this, but that's not unusual.

Now, the next big question - where will it be held? Unfortunately, still lots of problems with the snobs of Frisco.

Nsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 04:33 PM   #3
Guru

City: Juno Beach, FL
Vessel Name: Takes Two
Vessel Model: Defever 49 RPH
Rules for 2017 AC

The 25% nationality rule assures that there will be Kiwi's on all boats, how about an 80% rule so that pay for staff doesnt become such an issue or better still how about a 100% rule.

Sorry had to vent: but they might as well just see who can write the biggest check and give them the cup in 2017 without anyone getting their feet wet.

So much for the talk last year about keeping the boats size down in the 45' range through the whole series.

Time to step off the soap box:

Takes Two
currently in Annapolis MD
gwkiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 09:03 PM   #4
Guru

Sink the cats, bring back the old 12M boats. The current competition, interesting as it may be, relates to everyday boating like F1 relates to my daily drive.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 09:44 PM   #5
Veteran Member

City: Hilton Head, SC
Vessel Name: Irie Daze
Vessel Model: Albin 43 Sundeck
I agree

Loved the old days of the 12M and Alan Bond and the RPYC going against the US. One of the Koch brothers used to have his winning America's Cup yacht perched on hard display on the banks of the Arkansas river in Wichita. Ks. Don't know if it is still there. I loved the year the Aussies finally won and had the next cup in Fremantle. I think Alan Bond got in trouble with the Aussie securities commission and went to jail shortly after that. He was our neighbor when we lived in Perth.
Cathy and David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 10:51 PM   #6
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
My wife knows... Now... I know, I know!

Let's make this all twice the FUN!

One America's Cup for wide open super duper high tech cats

One America's Cup for enclosed mono hulls

Twice the fun, Twice the excitement, Twice the economic boosts, Twice the chance for rave reviews, Twice the number of winners!

Happy America's Cup Daze – Art and Linda
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 10:58 PM   #7
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy and David View Post
... I think Alan Bond got in trouble with the Aussie securities commission and went to jail shortly after that....
He did indeed. He also suffered a tragic loss of memory during official inquiries into his corporate activities, fortunately this condition improved by the time he left jail and resumed business activities, outside Australia.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 11:26 PM   #8
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
Sink the cats, bring back the old 12M boats. The current competition, interesting as it may be, relates to everyday boating like F1 relates to my daily drive.

I'm ok with the cats, folks complained the 12M boats didn't represent reality either. If F1 was akin to my daily drive there'd be no compelling reason to watch it.

If these folks didn't spend the money racing these boats they'd just be wasting it on scotch anyways.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 11:53 PM   #9
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
I'm ok with the cats, folks complained the 12M boats didn't represent reality either. If F1 was akin to my daily drive there'd be no compelling reason to watch it.

If these folks didn't spend the money racing these boats they'd just be wasting it on scotch anyways.
Like he said. However, I also feel the 25% nationality thing is too loose. Should be the other way round, 75% home country - 25% marquee import.
James Spithill would still get to drive, but the crew would be predominantly US, as it should be. The crew nationality make-up on Oracle last time was a joke.

But the boats sound like they should be spectacular to watch, and require great skill to sail, and hey…what's wrong with America's Cup being the sailing equivalent of F1..? Believe me, you really wouldn't want to go back now to those sluggish 12 Metre boats.
Old 06-04-2014, 01:18 AM   #10
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
I had my whole family watching the cup last summer. They were on the edge of the couch cheering. They wouldn't have done that with 12m boats.

12m boats were the pinnacle of sailing technology in their time. Now they are not...

Sigh. This is from an ex Fort Schulyer cadet.
Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 06:13 AM   #11
FF
Guru

Sink the cats, bring back the old 12M boats.

Sink the 12 meters and bring back the J boars.

All these toys are raced by rich folks , so lets have some eye candy.

OK ,so I can use the J boats 12 speed Titanium sheet winch on my boat , I cant use most F-1 gear on my Honda CRV , So What???

J boats , not for the masses , just for FUN!!
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 06:32 AM   #12
Curmudgeon

City: Stoney Creek, MD
Vessel Name: Moon Dance
Vessel Model: 1974 34' Marine Trader Sedan
It's racing, it's supposed to be the cutting edge of technology. And, damn, it was exciting. Just not as romantic as the mono hulls.
BaltimoreLurker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 07:06 AM   #13
Dauntless Award

City: New York, NY
Vessel Name: Dauntless
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 - 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaltimoreLurker View Post
It's racing, it's supposed to be the cutting edge of technology. And, damn, it was exciting. Just not as romantic as the mono hulls.
As someone who do unexpectedly was addicted to AC racing since the Conner days, this venue is plain boring.

The coupe de grace was lowering the wind speed they could race at. That killed the what suspense was left.

There was not one suspenseful race. Virtually every race was over at the first turn, some even at the start.

The fact that one team could win virtually all the races and then the other team did the same just does how terribly uncompetitive the whole spectacle was.

The challenger series was only missing one thing, challengers!

They are now running an electric, hydraulic boat. So fatigue will no longer be an issue.

And lastly, for those who think this is like F1, it would be, if F1 cars had no f...ing tires and became hovercraft, like in the Jetson's.

Nuff said.
Find us: https://share.delorme.com/dauntless
Wxx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 07:34 AM   #14
Curmudgeon

City: Stoney Creek, MD
Vessel Name: Moon Dance
Vessel Model: 1974 34' Marine Trader Sedan
Ahhh, the good old days. Now, THAT'S racing!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Racers.jpg
Views:	601
Size:	190.3 KB
ID:	30341  
BaltimoreLurker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 08:49 AM   #15
TF Site Team

Catch the aerodynamic front on the fuel tank. That would help.
Old 06-04-2014, 10:30 AM   #16
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Ahhh - shades of the good ol' stage coach days... two men on the driver seat... one to steer and one riding shot gun just in case them damn bandits might try to attack!

Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 10:44 PM   #17

City: Benicia CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wxx3 View Post
As someone who do unexpectedly was addicted to AC racing since the Conner days, this venue is plain boring.

Not sure which races you were watching, but they were anything but boring. By far, more passing than any other AC in history.

The coupe de grace was lowering the wind speed they could race at. That killed the what suspense was left.

Unfortunately, high winds were at least partially responsible for also killing a sailor. I didn't like it either, but it made sense and I understand it. And, there was plenty of suspense.

There was not one suspenseful race. Virtually every race was over at the first turn, some even at the start.

Again, what were you watching? The boat that won the start won 12 races and lost 7. Oracle came back and won 4 races after being behind at the first mark, and NZ came back and won 3 after being behind at the first mark. After being behind at the second mark, Oracle and NZ both came back and won 3 races each. After the third mark NZ came back and won 1 race. Not much need for the fifth leg though. Have you seen an AC that remotely compares to this?

The fact that one team could win virtually all the races and then the other team did the same just does how terribly uncompetitive the whole spectacle was.

Uncompetitive??? There were some damn close, and exciting races (until the last leg).

The challenger series was only missing one thing, challengers!

How true!

They are now running an electric, hydraulic boat. So fatigue will no longer be an issue.

Really? I don't remember the numbers, but heart rates were monitored, and these guys were on the levels of triathletes. Didn't you see them not only grinding, but running almost the entire time? These guys were athletes like never seen before in the AC.

And lastly, for those who think this is like F1, it would be, if F1 cars had no f...ing tires and became hovercraft, like in the Jetson's.

Nuff said.
Now, anybody that's read any of my pre-AC posts knows that I was most skeptical about these boats & their speeds and wished they would have stuck with the monohulls. More speed usually translates to larger margins of victory and less competitiveness. I was glad I was wrong.

I loved the 12 meters too, but it was a mature design and they had squeezed every 1/10 of a knot out of them that they could, and there was no room left for improvement. Unless you're going to have true one design race, it was time for them to go. The AC class was another story. They were faster, still had plenty of improved design left in them, and provided the closest racing in AC history. But, unfortunately, the world now demands more, more, and more speed in order to satisfy the younger generation.

As for nationality, I'm all for it if you're going to refer boats and syndicates to countries. But, it's been tried before and it didn't work, as there's too many ways around it. Dual citizenship, official residence, green cards... The only way to control it is with country of birth, and that's not going to happen. Even the rule for this AC is a joke as it requires only 25% of the crew to be from the representing country, which equates to (wait a minute while I get my calculator out), wow, only 2 of 8!

Nuff said.
Nsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 12:02 AM   #18

City: Seattle, Salmon Bay
Vessel Name: Tonic
Vessel Model: 1987 Cheer Men Marine PT42
Quote:
The America’s Cup Match, featuring the defender, ORACLE TEAM USA against the top challenger.
If football was like that, the Seahawks would have an automatic bye to the next SuperBowl no matter what they do during the season. Or Spain is already in the World Cup Final, because they won it in 2010.

I thought the idea of the AMERICA's Cup was to pit the best of the last victorious COUNTRY against the best of the rest of the world. Maybe it has always been this way(?) but it seems an odd way to encourage competition.
Tonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 12:10 AM   #19
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Still neck-to-neck after crossing San Pablo Bay:

Old 06-05-2014, 07:27 AM   #20
TF Site Team

Wxx3 said,
"The coupe de grace was lowering the wind speed they could race at. That killed the what suspense was left."

That's about your only statement I agree with, I afraid - that and the introducing of an arbitrary maximum time limit in low winds Otherwise Team NZ would have been the winner hands down, having been way ahead in one race when the wind went ½ a kn over the max allowed so called off. Then, in another was entering the final leg, way ahead, when it was abandoned because it exceeded the time limit…interesting that..and they all were NZers - might have been one non-Kiwi..? Can't remember now.