2015 Canadian Tide and Current Tables - Metric Only

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Conrad

Guru
Vessel Name
Blue Sky
Vessel Make
Nordic Tugs 42 Hull #001
I just opened up the 2015 official tide tables, and found that they are, for the first time, only in metric. Maybe I'm an old geezer, but I have always used feet for depth, and I hardly think I'm alone. This will have a huge impact on the boating community in Canada, recreational, commercial or otherwise.

And as we have a lot of our American friends cruising up and down our coasts, I can see some interesting situations developing.

Yes, I know there are other sources for tides and currents, but this is the only official source.

A glimmer of good news is that apparently one can contact someone in Ottawa to petition a change. I'll add a link that includes the name of the person to contact, although so far it hasn't worked for me.

Blog | Datum Marine Services Ltd - Marine Training in British Columbia

As Mike said, you can generate the ones with "feet" on the web, but you have to go all the way to the PDF version. Plus, you can print out some of the secondary stations that way as well...

http://www.waterlevels.gc.ca/eng/data/predictions/2015

Point Atkinson, for example.

http://www.waterlevels.gc.ca/Content/tidetables-tablesdemarees/2015/vol_5/wlev_ref/07795_public.pdf

If you want more than that send me a private message, I'll see what I can do. ;) I've done a bit of work on them, for all three zones on the West coast.

Last edited:
Political correctness for non Mariners is alive and well. They have over the years put both nautical miles and meters on the charts. All is not lost though. Most of my interest is is slack water timing. BTW multiply by 1.1 and you have feet but how about velocity, is it in knots or kilometers? I buy my new books next month.

Thank goodness for the Murray tables, only arrows vs date and time. But alas they end at Cape Mudge. After trying to apply JD Cave's calculations to expand the tables up to Prince Rupert the technical consultant's estimate to complete the gargantuan differential equations task likely broke the bank.

Last edited:
It's a relief to hear they are going back to feet and inches next year. I was about to get out the torches and pitchforks.

I saw where you can download the PDFs but what a clunky way to do things. It amazes me that they would make this change without any apparent consultation with the users.

At least they kept the velocities in knots! Almost surprised they left that alone.

Thanks everyone for the info & links.

Back
Top Bottom