Old 11-09-2019, 05:35 AM   #1

City: Merritt Island
1996 Mainship 40 Sedan Bridge and Rudder Packing Box

Hi,
I need to pull my port rudder in order to swap out a bad engine (I have another post on that...) I am having a hard time getting the shaft out. Everything is removed, so it should freely slide out. I have used a block of wood with a sledge hammer on the shaft. I have use an acetylene torch, I have used liquid wrench, I even tried muratic acid to dissolve the corrosion internally. I got nothing !

So in the event that I cant get it out, I need to have the marina pull the boat so I can replace the rudder stuffing box. Anyone know where I can get an exact or suitable replacement ? If you look at the picture, you'll notice that the base has a 45 degree angle. I am not seeing any for sale with that angle.

If anyone can point me to a vendor that sells the same style rudder stuffing box, I would be very appreciative.

Thanks,

Eric
Attached Thumbnails
20191107_180727.jpg   20191107_180733.jpg   20191107_180740.jpg  
pmcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 06:41 AM   #2
Guru

You loosened the setscrew on the lock collar I assume.
Is there also one on the opposite side?
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 08:00 AM   #3

By Lock Collar, you mean the ring at the bottom of the shaft on the middle Picture ? It had a pin instead of a lock screw and it moves freely. The way it is stuck, it seems like there is a pin still in it, but I checked very closely, there was a pin in the lock collar and a pin in the steering arm, both have been removed.

Thanks,

Eric
Old 11-09-2019, 08:14 AM   #4
Guru

So the lock collar rotates with the shaft. Can you rotate the lock collar while holding the shaft stationary?
You should be able to. There may be some burrs left that are holding the collar in place?
Old 11-09-2019, 08:59 AM   #5

Yes, it rotates freely. The shaft actually dropped about 3/8 -1/2 of an inch. But, then it stopped. The Compression nut on the Stuffing box moves freely as well.

If I could find a replacement stuffing box for the rudder, I would pull the boat and replace it. So, either I get the rudder out this weekend, or schedule time at the marina and replace it (assuming I can find a new one that matches)

Eric
Old 11-09-2019, 09:32 AM   #6
Guru

Sounds like there is a burr(s) on the collar or shaft and its bound up.
It will come apart.
You could also grind the collar off. Probably take you 20 minutes or so.
A collar is cheaper than the entire stuffing box.
Old 11-09-2019, 11:54 AM   #7

I think its bound up in the stuffing box. I am attempting to put the rudder back in its original position (Its stuck out 1 inch !). Have to have it in place to move the boat. I figure I'll look for a new stuffing box and replace it when I do the bottom paint (soon).

I am going to attempt to pull the engine only on Monday. I think I'll unbolt the bellhousing, etc and remove the engine mounts while the engine is on the hoist. I figure if I don't have to lift it off the motor mount bolts, I can just slide it forward out of the bell housing. That way the transmission/V drive doesn't have to move and I don't have to slide out the drive shaft.

So the next problem I have is where do I find a 1.5" stuffing box with a 45 degree mount (see 3rd picture) ?

Thanks,

Eric
Old 11-09-2019, 12:36 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Have you checked with Buck Algonquin (spelling?), they have a pretty large selection. If they don’t have it they may be able to point you to someone that does have it.
Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 08:22 AM   #9

For anyone looking at this thread in the future, I found a place that sells the Rudder Stuffing box. Miller's Island Propeller

Thanks,

Eric

Tags
rudder packing box