Old 07-06-2015, 08:38 PM   #1
Guru

City: Windsor
Vessel Name: Keeper IV
Vessel Model: 44 Viking ACMY
Looking for a, New Center Console.

I'm looking for a Center, Console about 19-20' to put at the condo we bought on the Caloosahatchee. (Cape Coral/Ft. Myers). Last year we used a 17' Mako it was just a bit to small for longer runs.
I really like inboards and I'm looking at a 20'Shamrock with their keel drive. It still draws close to 24" which I think Is a lot for this area. We like to beach our CC's.
It's really easy to run aground in this area and real easy to raise an outboard to unstick yourself and keep going. Not so easy if you draw 24" .
Anybody know of a tunnel drive?
Am I bet overly concerned about the draw of the Shamrock,?

Opinions needed from the group.
mbevins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 08:42 PM   #2
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
I'd take a look at Dusky, factory direct, affordable, good riding, and well built boats.
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 08:43 PM   #3
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Run a 26 Shammie as an assistance tower...and get everyone else off that goes aground. By the time you look at a single outboard on a semi vee...the draft difference isn't all that great.

The plus about the inboard keel drive...with an oversized 4 bladed prop...you can dig your own trench out of being aground in sand or mud.I routinely beach the boat and it has no problem pulling itself off where you would destroy an outboard.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 09:04 PM   #4
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by N4712 View Post
I'd take a look at Dusky, factory direct, affordable, good riding, and well built boats.
I like Dusky's Oliver but I'd like to explore an IB option
Old 07-06-2015, 09:04 PM   #5
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Don Moon has the best looking center console ever made with CAT diesel power. If he won't give up baby Moonstruck perhaps he will show off a couple pictures.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 09:05 PM   #6
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbevins View Post
I like Dusky's Oliver but I'd like to explore an IB option

They make IB boats.
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
Old 07-06-2015, 09:09 PM   #7
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Run a 26 Shammie as an assistance tower...and get everyone else off that goes aground. By the time you look at a single outboard on a semi vee...the draft difference isn't all that great.

The plus about the inboard keel drive...with an oversized 4 bladed prop...you can dig your own trench out of being aground in sand or mud.I routinely beach the boat and it has no problem pulling itself off where you would destroy an outboard.
Thanks, that's the kind stuff I was hoping to hear.
I've got a 23 Mako IB for up North with traditional shaft and rudder. If I tried what you just described with it I'd rip the prop out of the boat.
Old 07-06-2015, 09:20 PM   #8
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by N4712 View Post

They make IB boats.
Well then I'll look into them.
Old 07-06-2015, 09:26 PM   #9
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbevins View Post
Well then I'll look into them.

Actually after a quick look, it seems they don't make them anymore. But I'd give a call and verify.
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
Old 07-07-2015, 05:35 AM   #10

City: louisiana
If you are dead set on an IB the Shamrock is a well made, solid boat. However, the aft deadrise is very flat. If you are in protected waters it will be a great, non-rolly platform to fish and play from. We had a 25 or 26?? Shamrock cc with a 351 engine that ran 35+ knots and was good on fuel. The layout was perfect for our purpose of a run about/fishing/dive platform for the Fla. Keys. It was comfortable in anything less than 3ft seas but over that would pound you to death unless you back off the throttle a bit...which I had a hard time doing.
rardoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 05:52 AM   #11
Guru

The Shammy keel drive is a very wet boat also. But the above description is accurate as to it's functionality and driveability. The full keel without thruster is not impossible to handle in tight quarters..but hates to turn from beam to into the wind without a lot of room....backing and filling just willow leafs you down the canal/creek.

It is really no better built than many boats...has all the usual issues from boats at that time period. I have pretty well done everything on a Shammy keel drive from cut off the fiberglass keel shoe and replace with a stainless vee strut to engine upgrading to 454s to remove the pilot houses to repairing the whole bow area crushed by a barge.

Having dismantled them down to components....you really see what the factory did 100% or only 80% or that it was just like the rest of the pack.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN2205.jpg  
Old 07-07-2015, 06:54 AM   #12
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
Don Moon has the best looking center console ever made with CAT diesel power. If he won't give up baby Moonstruck perhaps he will show off a couple pictures.
Thanks Craig, but it draws 3' with no keel. It is really an offshore fishing boat. I have run it all over SW FL from Clearwater to Naples, but don't wonder into the shallows. Definitely no beaching.
https://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 09:53 AM   #13

City: Lafayette, LA
Vessel Name: presently boatless
a 24ft. Carolina Skiff w/150hp will run on wet grass. A little rough riding in a bad chop but very safe and comfortable. This boat is used down here in the marshes and coastal areas by sportsmen and commercial fishermen needing a shallow running boat that will take a load. Will get up with bottom sitting in mud.
ragin cajun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 10:12 AM   #14

Shamrock 17

I liked the idea of the keel drive inboard so I picked up a 17 foot Shamrock project boat. The 17 draws only 12 inches and is as big a boat as I want for my needs. Like other boats watch for fuel tank issues. There is a Shamrock forum on fish the classic net. You may be able to answer some of your Shamrock questions there. I don't think 24 inches is too bad for a 20 foot boat with a propeller fully in the water.
Duvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 10:19 AM   #15
Guru

My buddy has a Shamrock, we call it the Shammy. She's wet, or so I'm told.
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
Old 07-07-2015, 10:56 AM   #16
Guru

Of course unless you set up a view port over the prop like some downeast boats do...you have the pleasure of diving under it like I did yesterday to cut a line out I picked up around a dock or the shallows.

My vote would be a Carolina skiff as long as I am retired and on no clock...they are the second best all around boat in my mind....just slow down if facing a bad chop...you will in most small boats anyway.
Old 07-07-2015, 11:51 AM   #17
Guru

My wife would absolutely remove body parts if I bought a Carolina. She doesn't appreciate being slapped with a moderate V. The flat bottom no matter how little it draws is a non starter.
Old 07-07-2015, 12:06 PM   #18
Veteran Member

City: Port Charlotte Fl
I live in the area and have first hand knowledge of how shallow Charlotte harbor is and how rough it can get in a matter of seconds. Two types of boaters here those that have been stuck and those who lie about being stuck.Since the harbor is so shallow it gets a different kind of chop. The waves come from all directions. I call it the mixing bowl. With those two concerns look for boats that can take the chop and still run fairly skinny water. Carolina Skiffs are great boats but they will beat you to death and you will be wet. Shamrocks are built tough but you will be soaked heading home in the afternoon storms. I have a deep 18' hydra sports that works great here. runs in a foot of water and can run out 20 miles out in the gulf if I pick my days. If I had it to do over the only thing I would change would be to go a little bigger 20-22'. The bigger Mako's are a decent boat also but their skiffs will be wet. You also want something that can outrun the afternoon storms so I would'nt look at pontoons.
Good luck and keep us posted on your purchase.
Guitar Picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 12:21 PM   #19
Guru

If your seats are far enough aft...slapping is debatable....

Riding a 24 Carolina skiff near the transom is no different than an 18 foot modifies vee if the console is so far forward it is ridiculous.

The only way to know is to ride the ride you might choose.

There was just an article in one of the boating mags that discussed how fast pontoons have become...not necessarily an all around boat but strictly back bay they have their plusses.

I have heard guys brag about deep vees...yet you get small and light enough...tey all beat you up once the sea become just right.

If it is that big of a deal and you are willing to wait..ride them all and think hydrodynamics...the best hull in the world set up wrong or overly touted is just that.
Old 07-07-2015, 12:52 PM   #20
Guru

For whatever reason I can't seem to keep her out of the bow when we're running. Go figure.
As far as Charlotte Harbor is concerned we got caught in the 17 Mako in those confused seas this past February. Got absolutely soaked. Which is part of the reason it has to go (the boat, not the harbor).
The perfect boat would have a tunnel drive, a big Carolina bow, 23' long, and be a center console.