Old 04-26-2014, 06:56 PM   #1

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Isobel K
Vessel Model: 37' Custom Pilothouse
1983 CHB with 46 hours??

This ought to generate some discussion and may well end up a great deal for some one.

Appears to be an estate sale.

I imagine some comments about a 31 year old motor, rubber parts etc.
Not enough regualr hours etc.

1983, CHB-34 Trawler

1983, CHB-34 Trawler - $30000 ((Kenmore, WA))

Unique Opportunity to own a great Boat with only 46 Hours on the clock!
1983, CHB-34 Trawler (Kenmore, WA)

Description:
Chung Hwa Boat Building Co. Ltd. (Taipei, Taiwan), 34 Foot Long Range Trawler Yacht
Hull ID # CHB343060683
Dimensions: Length 33'6", Beam 11'9", Draft 3'2", Displacement 16,500 lbs.
Range: 1000 miles, Cruises at 6-7 knots, burning just 3 gallons per hour
Construction: Deep V Fiberglass, All Teak decks
Engine: Ford Lehman 120 HP, Diesel (with 46.4 running hours only)
Tanks: Fuel 300 gal. & Water 150 gal.
Electrical: 12/110V system, with 3 x Batteries and heavy duty charger
Accommodations: Sleep x 6 (2 x V-Berth in forward cabin, 2 x in owners aft cabin and 2 x on convertible dinette), 2 x Heads each with shower, Galley (includes Magic Chef butane stove, AC/DC refrigerator and stainless steel sink), Teak interior, parquet floor in Salon and copper with cork vertical blinds.
Navigation: Unimetrics VHF, Range Depth Recorder with alarm, Short Wave Radio, Amateur Radio, Ritchie Compass.
Equipment: Anchor with power winch, Bridge Cover (Bimini), 2 x Bilge Pumps, Electric Blowers, Halon System, Ship's Clock & Barometer, Electric Heater. In 1990 a Wesmar Bow Thruster was installed.

History
Boat originally sold to first owner in Marina Del Rey, CA in 1983. Sold on to last owner in 1986 with 9 hours running and transported to Lake Washington. Has been kept at covered slip in Kenmore, but only used infrequently since then. For sale by Executor.

Condition
As can be seen from the pictures the boat is complete, but in need of some cleaning, restoration, mechanical work and TLC. In general it needs the application of some 'elbow grease'. Kept in fresh Lake Washington waters under a Covered Slip for most of it's life. CHB boats are of high quality and strong construction, so with some work this will be a terrific boat again and is a great deal for an effectively almost unused vessel.
Priced to sell $30,000 -- as seen

bshanafelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 07:13 PM   #2
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
let me guess.....

Owned by a little old Lady and only driven to church on Sundays!

think about it... it still has the original fuel in it from 1983!

HOLLYWOOD

hollywood8118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 07:38 PM   #3
Al
Guru

City: ketchikan, Alaska
Vessel Name: 'SLO'~BELLE
Vessel Model: 1978 Marben-27' Flybridge Trawler Pilothouse Pocket Cruiser[
Why look at this boat when near by on seattle craig list, same issue, is one for $34400 or BO and it has alum tanks, re-fitted windows and the leaky teak deck issue has been addressed. That and you have a fitting of electronics. Just saying.
Al
Al is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 08:05 PM   #4
Guru

City: Hill Country TX/S.Portland Maine
Vessel Name: Southern Cross III
Vessel Model: 1988 Defever 41
if it was a car/truck I'd buy it....flying to Akron next week to buy a 88 Chevy 1 ton with 14,700 miles, original owner. I dig low mile originals
Old 04-26-2014, 11:01 PM   #5
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
This boat is under coverd moorage in the pic and it's possible it's been there all it's life. One could take up the teak decks and FG over all the stupid holes. It would be some work but look what you'd have then.

Then you could sell the engine to someone for almost enough to but a new one the correct size for your style of running. A 54hp Isuzu for example would suit me. Use the BW gear and have it gone through.

I'm starting to wonder where this boat is.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 11:49 PM   #6
Guru

City: Cruising East Coast US
Vessel Name: Grace
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by roguewave View Post
if it was a car/truck I'd buy it....flying to Akron next week to buy a 88 Chevy 1 ton with 14,700 miles, original owner. I dig low mile originals
Holly mess, how did you find that? I'm a Ford guy but I would have gone for that.
http://graceyachting.com/
Daddyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 11:53 PM   #7
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Eric, If I was you, (or I was living over there), I'd seriously look at it. It is essentially as new, being kept under cover most of its life. It is possible that the engine is still fine for a long times yet with some modest attention, so you would be wise to leave it right where it is, and get over any qualms re being overpowered. Having a CHB 34 with the same engine, I can vouch for the fact it is NOT overpowered, and would do more like 1.8gal/hr at proper cruising speed. I get 7 litres per hour at about 7 kn. So, contrary to usual, they have over-stated the consumption. And its one of the newer, all fibreglass ones with no ply in the superstructure. The teak decks would be as new almost, so really probably very little of real expense to be done.
Old 04-26-2014, 11:54 PM   #8
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Boat house kept in fresh water.

Clean out the fuel tanks, flush the water system and it should be ready for the refit as required. Heck, BarPilot could even ship it via truck and have the vessel of his dreams. Is it SD or FD?
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 06:23 AM   #9
FF
Guru

Put in some batteries , If it starts you are all set.

If its frozen its probably just rust in the cylinders , a cheap fix for just a gasket set.

Perhaps the owner was informed enough to have pickled the engine properly and all you will require is a sea water pump impeller.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 12:59 PM   #10
Guru

City: Pender Harbour, BC
Vessel Name: Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Model: Vancouver Shipyards Custom Aluminum 52
Electrolysis...
Old 04-27-2014, 04:52 PM   #11
Al
Guru

City: ketchikan, Alaska
Vessel Name: 'SLO'~BELLE
Vessel Model: 1978 Marben-27' Flybridge Trawler Pilothouse Pocket Cruiser[
Electrolysis? Not so much being in fresh water.

Peter B thanks for the update on the CHB superstructure being fiberglass. That has been a subject of disparage here in Southeast Alaska where we have heavy rainfall issues. Could you discuss the window framing? Many of the CHBs here have huge leaking issues causing deterioration of the interior wood and sour smells.
Along with the the cabin construction it would be nice to know the builders recognized the window issue. Of course, if there are mult-manufactures perhaps the changes are not universal- comment? Still the teak decks would have to go?? leak chasing is a heart breaking frustration leading to boat selling!! All asked as a son in law has been looking at this class of trawler.
thanks,

Al
Al is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 05:24 PM   #12
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
How bout the engine seals?

That's enough alone to keep me out of the picture. I like the boat though. If I bought it I'd be single again and I could, while I had the engine out for the seals take out three pistons, 6 pushrods and rocker arms, cap off 3 injectors ect ect and make a 55hp 3cyl. engine out of it. Perhaps I'd need to grind off 3 counterweights as there would be 3 less pistons to counter -- weight.

Would'nt lower fuel consumption but I'd have an engine working.

One could avoid using the back cylinder to avoid overheating. Wonder if the crankshaft configuration would allow me to incorporate the center 3 cylinders instead of 1-3-5?

Yup I've got too much time on my hands.

And Peter what about the hundreds of holes in the deck that is probably backed w plywood?

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 07:16 PM   #13
Guru

City: Biloxi Mississippi
Vessel Name: Patricia Louise II
Vessel Model: 1983 42' Present Sundeck
Even though there are probably numerous problems that would pop up- It's still cool to see a boat of that vintage that was almost never used. We have a 1983 Chung Hwa boat, and I see a few of the same materials/ lights/ etc on this as we have on ours.

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Lehman 135 Twins
Old 04-27-2014, 09:16 PM   #14
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
I'd love to hear from the guy (or gal) who buys this boat to learn what her real condition is. Initial, mid-term and long term reports would be fascinating to hear how an essentially unused 30 year old boat performs.

Could be a love story or could be a battle of the wills. Either way, it would be great to hear how she did.

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 10:21 PM   #15
Guru

City: Biloxi Mississippi
Vessel Name: Patricia Louise II
Vessel Model: 1983 42' Present Sundeck
Ditto here!

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Lehman 135 Twins
Old 04-27-2014, 10:58 PM   #16
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al View Post
Electrolysis? Not so much being in fresh water.

Peter B thanks for the update on the CHB superstructure being fiberglass. That has been a subject of disparage here in Southeast Alaska where we have heavy rainfall issues. Could you discuss the window framing? Many of the CHBs here have huge leaking issues causing deterioration of the interior wood and sour smells.
Along with the the cabin construction it would be nice to know the builders recognized the window issue. Of course, if there are mult-manufactures perhaps the changes are not universal- comment? Still the teak decks would have to go?? leak chasing is a heart breaking frustration leading to boat selling!! All asked as a son in law has been looking at this class of trawler.
thanks,

Al
Al, it looks like it has the standard (year of production dictated) teak framed windows, but if, as I am pretty sure, the superstructure is all fibreglass, then the leaking can be avoided largely by just making sure the drainage channels are cleared regularly, and any window which leaks into the interior, risking staining the teak veneer, is promptly removed and re-sealed. The teak itself it remarkably resistant to rot if this is done. With respect to the teak deck - see my response to Eric (Manyboats).
Old 04-27-2014, 11:15 PM   #17
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
How bout the engine seals?

That's enough alone to keep me out of the picture. I like the boat though. If I bought it I'd be single again and I could, while I had the engine out for the seals take out three pistons, 6 pushrods and rocker arms, cap off 3 injectors ect ect and make a 55hp 3cyl. engine out of it. Perhaps I'd need to grind off 3 counterweights as there would be 3 less pistons to counter -- weight.

Would'nt lower fuel consumption but I'd have an engine working.

One could avoid using the back cylinder to avoid overheating. Wonder if the crankshaft configuration would allow me to incorporate the center 3 cylinders instead of 1-3-5?

Yup I've got too much time on my hands.
(My, i.e. responders, emphasis)

And Peter what about the hundreds of holes in the deck that is probably backed w plywood?
Yes, Eric, you are getting grumpy because of the 'too much time' thing, but more importantly, not enough time out on your boat..!
It's called BWS, (boat withdrawal syndrome), and not dissimilar to drug withdrawal, as boating is a kind of 'high', is it not..?

And as for your obsession with under powering/over-powering and SD v's FD…please….just get over it, get out there...and enjoy..!

Regarding the teak decks and all those holes threatening the core. As this boat has largely been kept under cover those decks may well be in excellent (non-leaking) condition, with many trouble-free years ahead, but if this was in doubt, what better time to just cover them GRP, (non-skid), paint with Interdeck, and convert them to a nice rigid, low-maintenance, waterproof decking. It would not even be necessary to rip up the teak, as it would be in such good condition, as would the core. Too easy...
Old 04-27-2014, 11:17 PM   #18
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
I'd love to hear from the guy (or gal) who buys this boat to learn what her real condition is. Initial, mid-term and long term reports would be fascinating to hear how an essentially unused 30 year old boat performs.

Just confirmed with the wife it won't be us. If she's driving to Washington with me this week it'll be to look at land and not boats.

Gotta agree with Peter that this is most likely that diamond in the rough many here claim to desire. As Tom (sunchaser) pointed out its a freshwater, covered berth boat, what's not to like about that?

Where the wife on board with the idea I'd drive up tomorrow and look at it.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 12:05 AM   #19
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
Just confirmed with the wife it won't be us. If she's driving to Washington with me this week it'll be to look at land and not boats.

Gotta agree with Peter that this is most likely that diamond in the rough many here claim to desire. As Tom (sunchaser) pointed out its a freshwater, covered berth boat, what's not to like about that?

Where the wife on board with the idea I'd drive up tomorrow and look at it.
It's really much the same as others, dependent on survey. It could be the steal of the century or it could be a nightmare. Initial look should give an idea and survey verify.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 01:37 AM   #20
Guru

City: Pender Harbour, BC
Vessel Name: Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Model: Vancouver Shipyards Custom Aluminum 52
"A Special Note on Magnesium Anodes for Fresh Water… Essentially, fresh water is a much less conductive environment than salt water, therefore magnesium anodes are your best choice as they are much more active (less noble) than zinc or aluminum anodes. The result is increased efficiency thus superior protection for your underwater metal components. Magnesium Anodes can be special ordered.
* It is not recommended to use magnesium anodes in salt or brackish water. The result may be an accelerated corrosion rate, which may leave you with no anode protection in a short period of time and damage the metal parts of your boat."

31 years? I think so, not like salt but still there.