Old 08-03-2014, 10:20 PM   #81
Guru

City: Biloxi Mississippi
Vessel Name: Patricia Louise II
Vessel Model: 1983 42' Present Sundeck
She's a great looking ship. Congratulations.

Present 42 Sundeck

Old 08-03-2014, 10:53 PM   #82
Guru

City: Hill Country TX/S.Portland Maine
Vessel Name: Southern Cross III
Vessel Model: 1988 Defever 41
I must confess, I had a strong like for that boat. Almost drove up to see it last week while in gold beach.
All the best on your sale.

Old 08-03-2014, 11:29 PM   #83
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddyo View Post
I just can't fathom those who thought low hours was bad.
Hopefully you will still be thinking that in the weeks that come.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 01:16 AM   #84
Guru

City: Cruising East Coast US
Vessel Name: Grace
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Bill11 View Post

Hopefully you will still be thinking that in the weeks that come.
I'm sure of it. I would gladly keep her myself. I would love to have a "place" in Seattle. I have very mixed feelings about selling her. How often do you come across a true barn find?
http://graceyachting.com/
Daddyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 01:40 AM   #85
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Quote:
I'm sure of it. I would gladly keep her myself. I would love to have a "place" in Seattle. I have very mixed feelings about selling her. How often do you come across a true barn find?

Had this been the model without the aft cabin the wife and I woulda beat you purchasing it and put it on a truck to California. Easily the find of the year IMO.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 11:12 PM   #86
Guru

No sale. The buyer was proud of his statement that he will never go in the engine room. He had not seen her until the day of the survey and it was a terrible fit. He has looked at dozens boats all over the spectrum. His broker should have done much more to make sure they were a suitable match. The surveyor loved her and kept talking about how it took him back to when he surveyed these upon their original commissions back in the 70-80s. Three different prospects coming to see her this week.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20140813_201121.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	32048   Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20140813_201220.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	32049  
Old 08-13-2014, 11:56 PM   #87
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
No sale. The buyer was proud of his statement that he will never go in the engine room. He had not seen her until the day of the survey and it was a terrible fit. He has looked at dozens boats all over the spectrum. His broker should have done much more to make sure they were a suitable match. The surveyor loved her and kept talking about how it took him back to when he surveyed these upon their original commissions back in the 70-80s. Three different prospects coming to see her this week.
Respectfully I ask: Am I missing something here... or does highlighted = oxymoron??
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 02:17 AM   #88
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post

Had this been the model without the aft cabin the wife and I woulda beat you purchasing it and put it on a truck to California. Easily the find of the year IMO.
Why don't you grab her anyway Craig - she's soooo nice...?
Old 08-14-2014, 11:03 AM   #89
Guru

City: St. Lucie VILLAGE -NOT- Port St. Lucie!!!!!
Vessel Model: 15' Hobie Power Skiff w/90hp Yamaha-owned 28 years. Also a 2001 Bayliner 3788 that I took in trade
Quote:
What, a broker came to you who didn't properly first qualify his clients? Who ever heard of such a thing? Most don't even bother to read the listing sheets it seems before picking up the phone to ask questions clearly answered in black and white, and then go off showing boats before discovering they need financing, and then ask - "you think my new wife's bankruptcy will effect my credit?" uh yeah. when you say "terrible fit", did you mean too fat to get in there?

Yacht Broker/Owner since 1984, Florida License #32
pilothouse king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 11:25 AM   #90
TF Site Team

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Quote:
Mark

Is it typical for someone to make an offer, never having actually been on the boat, or any boat of that model?

It seems like paying for a survey is an expensive way to go boat browsing.
www.mvlisasway.com
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 11:53 AM   #91
Guru

City: St. Lucie VILLAGE -NOT- Port St. Lucie!!!!!
Vessel Model: 15' Hobie Power Skiff w/90hp Yamaha-owned 28 years. Also a 2001 Bayliner 3788 that I took in trade
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanders View Post
Mark

Is it typical for someone to make an offer, never having actually been on the boat, or any boat of that model?

It's a hobby for some, believe it or not. Some are "survey collector's", and some just cut the survey short for a couple hundred dollars. This way they can always delude themselves that "just can't find the right boat, I've tried". Still cheaper than owning a boat for sure. Then there's others who enjoy getting treated like royalty for a day, with nice scenic rides in the guise of sea trials out on the ocean for less than chartering for an afternoon. You know this is coming, when it's a big fancy yacht and they show up with friend's and cutie pies in mini skirts in tow.The latter might just be a South Florida thing. Those I make pay for the Captain and fuel up front in cash. What the heck, nice day, nice ride, cutie pies in mini skirts. Beats being in the office.

Yacht Broker/Owner since 1984, Florida License #32
pilothouse king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 12:12 PM   #92
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanders View Post
Mark

Not as unusual as you might think. A lot of times it is to save money and time on travel. If they are using a local surveyor they can often cut the survey short for less expense then the additional travel to see the boat twice.
Old 08-14-2014, 03:00 PM   #93
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Quote:
Not as unusual as you might think. A lot of times it is to save money and time on travel. If they are using a local surveyor they can often cut the survey short for less expense then the additional travel to see the boat twice.

If it were on the east coast, I would be tempted to buy it and put it on the lake. I really do need some more boats---------Not! I would still be tempted on that one. Great little boats.
http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 03:03 PM   #94
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilothouse king View Post
d cutie pies in mini skirts in tow.The latter might just be a South Florida thing. Those I make pay for the Captain and fuel up front in cash. What the heck, nice day, nice ride, cutie pies in mini skirts. Beats being in the office.
Wifey B: Careful, careful....talking about cuties in mini skirts. Trying now to remember what I wore when we bought. Maybe shorts instead of mini skirt.

Is it ok to show up with cutie pies in tight shorts in tow?

Seriously though I know what you're saying about the hobby lookers. They get a new broker to help about once a year. There's one couple near us has lived on the water 8 years and shopped for a boat all that time and still doesn't have one. It's like the couple I knew years ago who at least four or five times a year would take the free trips to resorts for time sharing presentations. They said "free condo in a resort for a weekend plus small gifts they give us, why not?"
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 03:07 PM   #95
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonstruck View Post
If it were on the east coast, I would be tempted to buy it and put it on the lake. I really do need some more boats---------Not! I would still be tempted on that one. Great little boats.
I could never be in the business. I'd be a boat hoarder. I'd see one come along that I liked and was a good deal, ran well, and suddenly find myself not working hard to sell it. I get tempted way too often as it is. I see something new and say "that's interesting" while my partner in crime, wife, says "ooh that's cute."
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 06:52 PM   #96
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
Why don't you grab her anyway Craig - she's soooo nice...?

Peter, had my wife nodded rather than shook her head side to side this boat would've already been in a covered berth at my marina. I was on the airline website with my credit card out reading her the original Craigslist ad.

A survey would have only been a formality for the insurance company had I flown up and saw what Mark saw. At this length though we decided a full aft cockpit is a non negotiable for us right now.

Someone will be getting a real sweetheart but as a couple forum members saw this weekend. We're not exactly roughing it in Bliss right now, and have several upgrades planned for this fall.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote