Old 06-04-2014, 10:36 PM   #61
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Anode material type and water type and stray electric "heat" of the docking area and boat-batt system should all be well considered.

IMHO: When there is no anode surface scrubbing provided in fresh water then magnesium is best to use in fresh water and zinc is (always) best to use in salt water. That said, if and only if the zinc surface is scrubbed clean of oxidation (by scraper and bronze wire brush every 3 to 4 month or sooner) can the zinc stay active enough as a functioning anode in fresh water.

Stray electricity “the heat” from a dock or area may be slight, medium, or severe, depending on electric power cord conditions in the area. “Hotter” the area’s stray electricity is then faster the anode disintegrates, “cooler” the area slower the disintegration. Also keep in mind stray DC current off boat batteries; metal items also need to be bonded/protected against that possibility of corrosive stray current.

Fastbottoms is the TF pro on all this about anode/diode. I’m not expert on this but know a bit. I don’t want to lead you astray and hope fastbottems soon posts.

Hope there has been little damage to now!

Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 11:37 PM   #62
Guru

City: Cruising East Coast US
Vessel Name: Grace
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
The Boeing engineer PO knew his stuff. He added a prop shaft armature and brush. The bonding systems on these TTs was as most of you are aware often superior to modern craft. She has two large hull zinks, both are clean and free of growth. He would have the marina unplug her for months at a time on a regular schedule. There is no sign inside whatsoever of any corrosion. The water is fresh and apparently the electrical service at the marina is very good according to other multi-decade slip owners. An owner of an incredible Lake Union runabout two slips down tried to buy her for years from the owner but they couldn't come together on terms.

http://graceyachting.com/
Daddyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 06:22 AM   #63
FF
Guru

She has two large hull zinks, both are clean and free of growth. He would have the marina unplug her for months at a time on a regular schedule. There is no sign inside whatsoever of any corrosion. The water is fresh

In FRESH water any zincs would be clean & undissolved & useless forever , the requirement in FW is magnesium.

Aircraft engineer and marine knowledge are not related fields.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 07:11 AM   #64
Guru

City: Hill Country TX/S.Portland Maine
Vessel Name: Southern Cross III
Vessel Model: 1988 Defever 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post

Yes but the brain of an aircraft engineer can easily overcome marine knowledge IMO.
Old 06-05-2014, 10:23 AM   #65
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
wow that is a clean old boat....

a true " unmolested virgin" !

HOLLYWOOD
hollywood8118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 11:45 AM   #66
Art
Guru

Quote:
She has two large hull zinks, both are clean and free of growth. He would have the marina unplug her for months at a time on a regular schedule. There is no sign inside whatsoever of any corrosion. The water is fresh

In FRESH water any zincs would be clean & undissolved & useless forever , the requirement in FW is magnesium.

FF - I respectfully agree and at same time respectfully disagree regarding zinc anode performance capability in fresh water.

Yes - Zinc anodes can become useless if oxidation is allowed to solidly form over their full surface area in fresh water. This oxidation surface coating establishes itself in fresh water during from 3 to 6 months or maybe slightly longer if no anode surface cleaning is continued. That coating stops the less noble zinc anode surface from deterioration due to electrical impulses in the water. Therefore the nobler "diode" metals that zinc is affixed to become attacked by the corrosive elements of electric currents in water. Magnesium anodes do not require this scrubbing process as the oxidation coating does not form on them. Therefore for boaters who do not often do as I mention in next paragraph mag anodes seem a necessity. The circumstance regarding zinc – vs – magnesium capabilities and oxidation surface formation in fresh water is result of mag being a less noble metal than zinc that has its surface areas “flake off” fast enough so the oxidation coating does not get a chance to form, whereas zinc does not have that “fast flake” quality and its surface can become so completely coated by oxidation before “flaking” that zinc can fully lose its diode protective anode qualities.

However – Zinc can continue performing its anode capabilities if its surface is thoroughly scraped/scrubbed clean of oxidation every 3 to 4 months or sooner. Being that we keep our Tolly in SF Delta fresh water warm enough to swim in most of year; from 5 to 8 times a year while on the hook I go under our boat and thoroughly clean all zincs as well as other metal parts; also brushing off the bottom.

I feel that IF and only IF zinc is scrapped/scrubbed clean on scheduled maintenance mentioned above can it amply offer its capability as a functioning anode in fresh water.

The result of all this is that zinc anodes kept clean, being a more noble metal than magnesium, will last 2 to 3 times longer than mag. For me it’s the fun of often swimming under boat with equipment for cleaning purposes that adds to my cruising/boating pleasures. It allows me to nearly always comprehensively know every portion of my boat’s under water condition. I love to play with our Tolly’s bottom while in the water! – Oh My!!

Also, I recommend that boats (in fresh or salt water) be off hooked from shore power when left at rest for periods of time (like weeks to a month or three/four). This substantially reduces capability for electrical conductivity that can corrode metal parts, as the boat is suspended in dock, away from walks, with rope-lines only. Then of course the batteries in boat need to be isolated. And, all metal diode portions inside boat should be wired to a primary anode such as a “Divers Dream”/”License Plate” on stern’s center. This further reduces chance of AC or DC stray current damage. That said – if boat is off hooked from shore power the owner needs to be sure that all through hulls and rain drains are in perfect order... cause there will not be any float charger keeping batteries up incase bilge pump is repeatedly required for boat to stay a float!

IMHO: A boat is a sort of “living” mechanical entity that is complex and has many needs apparent in order to keep her “bones” healthy. So, boats should receive care. For live aboards this need for care is easy to accomplish. For part time users (such as me) boat-care needs are relatively easy to keep up with. For owners who seldom visit their boat, like once a year or less, then hired care should probably be provided.

All this is mentioned due to my personal experience and my ongoing boating agendas that I practice. YRMV! I'm confident Others Will Chime In... providing their do's and don'ts!

Happy Boat-Care Daze! - Art
Old 06-05-2014, 11:58 AM   #67
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Yeah...

Or you could just do as us mere mortal sheep do and follow established protocol.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1401983849.422077.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	181.1 KB
ID:	30351

Whole lot less complicated.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 12:09 PM   #68
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
Yeah...

Or you could just do as us mere mortal sheep do and follow established protocol.

Whole lot less complicated.
Inventors don't easily follow instances of protocol! -
Old 06-05-2014, 12:38 PM   #69
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Would seem the protocol is simple when boat is kept in one or the other. It's when the boat is used in both for substantial periods of time. Those who keep boat in fresh water but go cruising regularly for long periods of time in salt. A prime example too would be Great Loopers. Roughly half the trip in salt water and half in fresh. If their boat is normally a salt water boat then they do need to clean the zincs during the trip. If their boat is normally a fresh water boat then they need to recognize their magnesium will not work for a large part of the trip. Honestly, this is a part of looping we hadn't thought about. And for us it gets more complicated since we live on salt water but will probably keep the boat in fresh water for a year or even two at the time we loop and then explore rivers.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 12:53 PM   #70
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Would seem the protocol is simple when boat is kept in one or the other. It's when the boat is used in both for substantial periods of time. Those who keep boat in fresh water but go cruising regularly for long periods of time in salt. A prime example too would be Great Loopers. Roughly half the trip in salt water and half in fresh. If their boat is normally a salt water boat then they do need to clean the zincs during the trip. If their boat is normally a fresh water boat then they need to recognize their magnesium will not work for a large part of the trip. Honestly, this is a part of looping we hadn't thought about. And for us it gets more complicated since we live on salt water but will probably keep the boat in fresh water for a year or even two at the time we loop and then explore rivers.
Although I've had no experience with mag anode in salt water... My understanding is that mag simply deteriorates very quickly in salt; still performs its anode duty well though as it too soon disappears. Fastbottoms should have best handle on that, he’s TF anode guru. Haven’t heard from him for a while.
Old 06-06-2014, 06:28 AM   #71
FF
Guru

I feel that IF and only IF zinc is scrapped/scrubbed clean on scheduled maintenance mentioned above can it amply offer its capability as a functioning anode in fresh water.

1983 with 46 hours , thats 30 years!

Doesnt sound like a 4x a year scrub was in the cards.

Even with no Gators in the water.
Old 06-06-2014, 10:23 AM   #72
Art
Guru

Quote:

1983 with 46 hours , thats 30 years!

Doesnt sound like a 4x a year scrub was in the cards.

Even with no Gators in the water.
You're very correct Fred. I should have mentioned similar regarding that boat.

Along with other items to carefully check out; whomever looks to purchase with a "survey haul out"... all metal parts and fittings need to be carefully scrutinized regarding forms of corrosion.
Old 06-07-2014, 01:51 AM   #73
Guru

I have to say, some of you guys really crack me up! If Angelina Jolie or you choose, walked into your bedroom naked with a note from your wife to have a good time you would want to see if it was notarized
First of all I'm not sure if the object of all this scrutiny is zink or magnesium, I'll let you know. These are all good points but it seems a bit absurd that now we are worried about boats that are in too good of an original unused state? Anyone who buys anything of any significant value should have it properly evaluated by a qualified third party when practical.
Old 06-07-2014, 02:49 AM   #74
Art
Guru

[QUOTE=Daddyo;239651] If Angelina Jolie or you choose, walked into your bedroom naked with a note from your wife to have a good time you would want to see if it was notarized
QUOTE]

Sophia Loren - NO Questions Asked!!
Old 06-07-2014, 05:42 AM   #75
FF
Guru

Bridget Bardot, as in God Created Women , would be my first choice.

Who is Angels Jolie?
Old 06-07-2014, 06:14 AM   #76
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Quote:
Bridget Bardot, as in God Created Women , would be my first choice.

Who is Angels Jolie?
Art, you and FF have sort of dated yourselves a bit…Angelina would be fine for me…Megan Gale even better…(Google her if yah don't know her). Actually, I've always had a bit of a thing for Sandra Bullock, come to think of it. But back to the subject on hand…what was it again..?
Old 06-07-2014, 09:31 AM   #77
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
Art, you and FF have sort of dated yourselves a bit…Angelina would be fine for me…Megan Gale even better…(Google her if yah don't know her). Actually, I've always had a bit of a thing for Sandra Bullock, come to think of it. But back to the subject on hand…what was it again..?
Pete - Subject at hand anodes zinc/magnesium:

On any gal mentioned - I would be pleased to tend their anodes or diodes whenever necessary... often sooner than later!

BTW - Don't mind spotlighting oldies but goodies, Freds choice is a strong contender too! - Fantasy is big part of the game...

I hear Cleopatra was heck of a roll, a real a good one for ongoing anode/diode attention TOO!!
Old 06-07-2014, 10:14 AM   #78
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
Pete - Subject at hand anodes zinc/magnesium:

On any gal mentioned - I would be pleased to tend their anodes or diodes whenever necessary... often sooner than later!

BTW - Don't mind spotlighting oldies but goodies, Freds choice is a strong contender too! - Fantasy is big part of the game...

I hear Cleopatra was heck of a roll, a real a good one for ongoing anode/diode attention TOO!!

Two large anodes are good. As they say if you've seen on, you have seen two.
http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 10:06 PM   #79
Guru

She is under contract with the survey on Wed. I decided to take her out today since the long time slip holders said she hadn't been out in as much as twenty years. She ran perfect!! I ran her four two and a half hours including long periods at WOT. Almost no smoke even at WOT. I just can't fathom those who thought low hours was bad.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20140803_190539.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	31770   Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20140803_190629.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	31771