Old 07-14-2017, 08:35 PM   #21

City: Exumas
Vessel Name: Bad Monkey
Vessel Model: Gulf Star 43
I guarantee you will have to put a lot more than $35,000 into this boat. There is nothing of value here unless someone needs spare engine parts.
If they offered this to me for free I would not take it.
The boat I am doing cost me less than half that and I have put a more than 35,000 into it. Most of the work I have done myself or friends at mates rates.
If you did it yourself full time, at least a year. That's if you are good at everything like SWAMPU. Anyway that's what I think!!

"Eagles may soar, but monkeys don't get sucked into jet engines!"
Capstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 10:57 PM   #22
Guru

City: Ashland, MA
Vessel Model: 1990 Silverton 40 aftcabin
I don't read any replies telling us how anxious they are to make an offer, high or low for this boat. But I question why you are so sure the engines are junk. If those engines were truly operational after the boat was purged of the water intrusion why now have they become junk just because they have not operated?

I still believe that if the posted ad is correct, very little of the boat's innards suffered much. But a conversation at this stage is moot! There is little interest here in the forum from anybody to purchase this vessel. I do maintain that a cleaning crew can make a huge difference in at least the boat's appearance. I have my hands full with one boat and my wife was correct, I don't need another
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 01:02 AM   #23

City: Carrollton, Va
I think most people agree that if it were KK, Nordhavn, etc. that at this price the ends would justify the means. But as it stands, it's a boat that's not popular. There's a ton of work that needs to be done. Even if the engines ran, they still need to be gone through. Same with the gen, AC (if it has it), wiring, pumps, batteries and more.

I think if it were just neglected and didn't sink, about $12k would be worth messing with. But that's just my opinion.
SaltyDawg86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 05:54 AM   #24

City: Rockport
Vessel Name: Still Sibsie
Vessel Model: 42' Bristol Trawler
Well, I think they're worth it. *wink*. Boat Refurbishing - Bristol Trawler Restoration
Old 08-26-2017, 12:38 AM   #25

City: Kenmore
Vessel Name: Snapdragon
Vessel Model: Custom 56' Skookum trawler
Just last week I had a discussion about abandoned boats with a boat yard owner. He told me that to dispose of a a 36' full displacement sailboat it would end up costing him about $10,000 in labor and dump fees. He ends up owning the boats due to unpaid storage fees, and is happy to give them away for free to not have to pay for disposal, and to have someone paying the monthly fee to store it while they attempt to restore it. To me it seems like a huge waste of time and money, but I shouldn't judge since I waste all my time and money on my boat.
Snapdragon III is offline   Reply With Quote