1978 Prairie 29'

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

captbuddy

Veteran Member
Vessel Make
1978 Prairie 29ft.
I just purchased a 1978 Prairie 29 ft. Ran across a friend with a 36 ft Prairie and he was telling me he had to have his bottom completed redone. He stated the fiberglass was delaminating and had to have it completed taken off and re-glassed. Has anyone every heard of this happening on other Prairie's or was this very unusual for this boat? Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks, captbuddy

How was your survey ?? Do you have this delaminating problem ? If not why worry just enjoy your new boat

I did my own survey. Boat appears to be fine. Just wondering is this an issue with this brand? I do plan on enjoying it. Winter in Marathon and summer in Mexico Beach, Fl.

Why do I get an uneasy feeling when someone says he did a self survey, then asks a basic question? Surveys are cheap compared to a problem missed due to lack of experience. In my experience, really smart people know what they don't know.

Forgive me, I don't mean to play Debbie Downer.

Craig

:eek::confused::blush:

Last edited:
I purchased a 1981 Prairie 36 in March and there were no delamination issues.
The hull had about a dozen quarter sized blisters, and several cosmetic gel coat cracks, but that was about it.
The surveyor said a very solid boat, great bones is the way he described her.

Thanks Fog. I did not find any delamination evidence on my hull either. I already knew that the same guy that designed the Hatteras had also designed the Prairie, so I was very surprised when my friend told me of his issues on his. I was hoping to hear from other Prairie owners like yourself of actual experience with our boats. I maintained an LRC for about 15 years and with the last 6 years living aboard. Including completing my own bottom jobs. So my question had nothing to do with surveys or anything about the effects of not having a survey. If I had paid someone to do my survey and then ran into my friend like I did the other day, my question would still have been asked. I had not heard of this problem with this manufacture. Thanks again for your response. Captbuddy

I have a '1978 Prairie 36 with no problems with blisters. Plenty of other cosmetic problems due to lack of maintenance but otherwise a solid boat.

Kevin

No problems here with blisters or delamination. Had some cracking in the keel where it sat on a block, had to grind out and repair that.

I also had the bottom soda-blasted down to bare gelcoat, and it looked good except for (surprise) a similar repair had been done farther forward on the keel some time in the past. Weak keel? Water left in the bilges over the winter? Poor handling in the yard? Not sure. But the hull seems very solid.

My '81 Prairie 29 had no delamination issues when I bought it, and none since.

Good Luck!

JS

The designer would have had nothing to do with possible delamination, that would have occurred in the laminating of the vessels hull. There are a variety of things that might contribute to large scale delamination you describe, contamination between layers, a layer that did not catalyze properly, a layer laid up with finish resin instead of laminating resin, a layer laid up over a fully catalyzed layer and several other factors. A good surveyor with a tapping hammer would have turned up large scale delamination if he was any good.

For the most part Prairie has a good reputation for well found and laid up hulls. Like many hulls from that era there are a few to many blisters.

:socool:

I already knew that the same guy that designed the Hatteras had also designed the Prairie, so I was very surprised when my friend told me of his issues on his.

Thanks everyone for your response. Especially the Prairie owners. My friend with the 36 Prairie did not just purchase his boat. He had it for at least 5 to 6 years or more.
Thanks again.
captbuddy

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom