Old 10-05-2016, 03:52 PM   #1

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: M.V. PATRIOT
Vessel Model: 1972 55 FOOT GRAND BANKS ALASKAN 3160 cats trade info advise and help on bot
1972 cat 3160 5 yrs dependible no issues

I have had a 1972 GB Alaskan for 5 years trouble free, dependable with nothing ever happened.
in the past 3 months its been one thing after another.
I came to an end of it and had it repaired, understood and appointments to end.

I was celebrating with myself lat evening to do so I was working on my computer , started my cats up to enjoy the purrr
working on the computer watching boats go past 15 mins after I started, the dang strbd engine quit, it sounded like it ran out of fuel,
NEVER! have i had this let me down, ever!
I went to dash to check temps and all was normal,
I tried to start and knowing not to hold the start button down to long I found the engine, if I kept the button depressed and the throttle up half full it would act like it was trying to start, but when it was time to release start button it just died, I went to check to see if filters were full, the spin on and the racor glass separator, and all were fine and had diesel in,, went back up to try and start and it will not even pretend to start now ,, the other engine (port)runs perfect like this one did (starbd)

Im lost as what to do, previouly someone took the hand primer pump off and installed a dc pump on the wall(pime injector lines to get air out) (I should have not ever had air in, no reason) but it is a mix with all other valves, it has 6 tanks all able to transfer fuel one to another tank, altho I do not do that I keep fuel in the two forward only and do not mess with the valves and all the tanks, (none of them) flow fuel valves are in proper positions.

anyone can help with ideas?

I will be trying to see how this DC pump can tell me if I have air in the line,

I will open last injector and see if pump will push anything out altho I have no idea what valves to use yet. and also there is not reason air should have gotten in the line

thank yoiu,, Tom
ninelivezzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 04:33 PM   #2
Guru

City: Between Oregon and Alaska
Vessel Name: Charlie Harper
Vessel Model: Wheeler Shipyard 83'
I don't know your engine, but... It could be a sensor. Some engines have safety sensors that shutdown the engine for low oil pressure or high coolant temperature. When starting the sensors are bypassed. When you release the button the sensors take over. The sensor may use the same sensor as the gauges, or have another installed in another place.
Also, most injector pumps have a stop solenoid. When shutting down it stops fuel flow to the injectors. A bad stop solenoid never allows fuel to flow or stops the flow if it fails while running. You could have a bad connection to the stop solenoid. Some injector pumps are stopped by a cable or even a linkage position. Loose cable or linkage could be the problem.
To figure out your tank connections a picture might help, but I would guess, unless the valves are standard in other GB Alaskans, you're either going to trace out the lines or pay someone else to do it.
It's not a good idea to leave fuel tanks empty because diesel tanks don't completely empty to leave room for dirt or water to settle out without pumping it to the engine. Moisture will collect and organisms will grow.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 04:56 PM   #3

Vessel Model: 1972 55 FOOT GRAND BANKS ALASKAN 3160 cats trade info advise and help on bot
1st and foremost!,
Thank yoiu so very much for taking the time and efforts,,,

the sensor has 12 volts going to it
the high low gaugues are where they s/b and no alarm went off,
I see no cable or linkage,
I wonder if I pulled it out if I can tell if it is working
Old 10-05-2016, 06:11 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepke View Post
I don't know your engine, but... It could be a sensor. Some engines have safety sensors that shutdown the engine for low oil pressure or high coolant temperature. When starting the sensors are bypassed. When you release the button the sensors take over. The sensor may use the same sensor as the gauges, or have another installed in another place.
Also, most injector pumps have a stop solenoid. When shutting down it stops fuel flow to the injectors. A bad stop solenoid never allows fuel to flow or stops the flow if it fails while running. You could have a bad connection to the stop solenoid. Some injector pumps are stopped by a cable or even a linkage position. Loose cable or linkage could be the problem.
To figure out your tank connections a picture might help, but I would guess, unless the valves are standard in other GB Alaskans, you're either going to trace out the lines or pay someone else to do it.
It's not a good idea to leave fuel tanks empty because diesel tanks don't completely empty to leave room for dirt or water to settle out without pumping it to the engine. Moisture will collect and organisms will grow.
ya I know but there are 7 tanks,,,, BTW 3 months ago when I changed all the filters all I did was to fill everything back up no need to prime the just started running perurrrfect as always
Old 10-05-2016, 07:49 PM   #5
Guru

City: New Orleans
Vessel Name: Scot Free
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 53' Efficient
Is this a duplicate thread. Should a mod combine them?

Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum
McGillicuddy is offline   Reply With Quote