Old 11-28-2019, 11:27 AM   #21

City: St James City/Punta Gorda
Vessel Name: Charlie Noble
Vessel Model: 32 Nordic Tug
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Meisinger View Post
16 year old with 500 hours ? I would be more concerned with "when" the engine was changed. Was it 15 years ago as a warranty thing or was it last year ? Lots of times boats can sit for years then a new owner, or son, or daughter ends up with it and runs the hell out of it for a year or more so you can't assume that for the past 16 years the boat was used 30 hours a year.

pete
Right, never assume. Our boat when purchased had 2050 hours at 32 years old. I emailed the factory to confirm it was the original engine. So that's about 65 hrs a year. And it too has a higher hp motor for the size boat. We ran it mostly at 1000 to 1150 rpm for the 1700 mile. But it was sure nice to have 300 hp when going into a inlet with a following sea.

Old 11-28-2019, 12:35 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comodave View Post
We looked at a Bayliner 4788 that had Cummins engines in it. The boat was a 2000, I think. When I looked in the engine room I was amazed how nice looking the engines were. I asked the broker about them and he said that Cummins had replaced the engines about 3 or 4 years earlier. He said the PO of the boat knew someone at Cummins and got them to replace the engines for some reason. The really strange thing was there was no mention in the listing about new engines and the broker never mentioned them until I asked. You would think that this would have been the first thing in the listing and the first thing that the broker would be talking about.
The Bayliner 4788 is a great boat that was overpropped for real life load out on the boat.

Mine needed new engines at just 900 hours due to overpropping. The Cummins 6BTA engine is a great engine but it does not like being overpropped.

As far as the OPís question, yes simply ask what happened to the original engine. Unless the need for replacement is a uncorrected latent defect then the new engine is a blessing.

I bought my boat knowing it needed to be repowered. That way I got a boat with two brand new engines that I could take care of properly.

ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 01:07 PM   #23
Guru

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
You need the log book. If there is one.
That will tell you how many hours a year, over the life of the log book.
I have 3 separate sets of hour meters. Every time I get a survey, the surveyor notes the hours from a different set of meters.
One is disconnected, just sit there so I don't have to fill the holes they are in. They show the # of hours from my purchase of the meters to changing engines, approx 1100 hrs on both.
Second is up top. Show the hours since I bought a second pair of tachometers for my replacement engines, Each was used, so have random hours, plus what has been added.
Third is on the tachometers in the main engine panels. One shows accurately what is on that engine, as it has been with that engine since new, though on a different boat for its first 1500 hrs. The other also shows what was on that engine when I bought it, again 1500 hrs, plus what was added before its subsequent rebuild, plus what has been put on after that rebuild. My log shows the # of hours at that rebuild, so to get an accurate #, you need to read the log and subtract that number from the display.
The OP's 500 could be as complicated or worse.
Old 11-28-2019, 01:11 PM   #24
Guru

City: Canaveral
Quote:
Originally Posted by murofrelwart View Post
I assume nothing good- but help me out what are we looking at ? A clogged aftercooler? What would cause this?

Donít you guys know anything? Those are the alien egg cases. One looks like it already popped out into the POs face!
makobuilders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 02:51 PM   #25

City: Port Charlotte
Cummins

There was an issue with A very small run of 6 cyl. Block castings. they were used in Ram trucks. If any of them were used in marine applications this may be why it was changed. The blocks cracked along the side due to a thin water jacket.
cabinetman1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 03:39 PM   #26
Veteran Member

City: Berkeley, CA
Vessel Name: Andiamo
Vessel Model: Kha Shing Sundeck 40
Off thread but boat brokers < used car salesmen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comodave View Post
We looked at a Bayliner 4788 that had Cummins engines in it. The boat was a 2000, I think. When I looked in the engine room I was amazed how nice looking the engines were. I asked the broker about them and he said that Cummins had replaced the engines about 3 or 4 years earlier. He said the PO of the boat knew someone at Cummins and got them to replace the engines for some reason. The really strange thing was there was no mention in the listing about new engines and the broker never mentioned them until I asked. You would think that this would have been the first thing in the listing and the first thing that the broker would be talking about.
I have met a few good ones but in working on lots of boats I've come across and heard about more shifty ones.
Andiamo2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 04:02 PM   #27
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
This was the only good recommendation or response. You ask on a forum where none of us have any idea why or what took place or the history or condition of the boat.
Seriously??? (insert head scratch here)

Here's the OP:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdkChris View Post
What you think of a 16 year old boat advertised as only 500 hours on the hull and half of that with a new Cummins 6BT5.9M2? How did they manage to need a new engine at 250 hours?

How do I tell if this is this a cream puff or a red flag?
No helpful suggestions at all? Just judgmental and condescending remarks? Did you get up on the wrong side of the bed today?

AdkChris, first off, Welcome to TF!! Lots of folks with differing opinions and experience here. I hope you find the lion's share of the replies helpful.

Any 16 year old boat listed with 500 hrs would be a red flag to me. That same boat with a new engine installed 250 hrs and unknown years ago is another red flag to me. A boat like this with no maintenance logs would be another red flag to me. (Not sure if you have access to mx logs.)

Take our help (and criticism) with a grain of salt but always do your due diligence. Take nothing for granted. It can be a long hunt for that "just right" boat but, in the end, it's worth doing it right.

Happy Hunting and please keep us updated.

Cheers!

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 07:19 PM   #28
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
I wouldn’t worry too much about the previous engine. Spend your time and money doing a survey of the current engine.
Old 12-02-2019, 08:56 PM   #29

City: Portland
More info pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arc View Post
Attachment 96915

8 year old Cummins with 200 hours. What do you think would happen it someone decided to bring it up to 80% power?
What are we looking at here?
Tom T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 12:37 AM   #30
Guru

City: League City, TX
Vessel Name: Pelago
Vessel Model: Wellcraft 3300 Coastal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom T View Post
What are we looking at here?
That's the bottom of a Cummins aftercooler clogged with marine growth. The cap has been removed to expose the core.

This is the way it should look when cleaned and serviced. Image is from Seaboard Marine.

And here is where Seaboard fully covers the Cummins Aftercooler Maintenance.

Follow Tony's procedure to the letter and you'll get long service life from them. Ignore it at your peril. Typical service interval is about two years.
Old 12-03-2019, 09:42 AM   #31

City: Annapolis
I saw a 12yr old boat with less than 200 hours on it get a new set of cylinder liners due to corrosion. I think it was a Cummins 8.3 450C.
The explanation was that there are always Some of the exhaust valves open when it comes to a stop, the salt air is always present in the exhaust pipe from the transom up to the engine. The oil sheen on the cylinder walls only stays in place for so long after shutting it down and the walls pitted badly. The turbos on that engine were also in need of replacing.
Then there are the items that should be done every 2-3 years anyways because they have salt in them. On that boat, the raw water pumps, heat exchangers, aftercoolers, oil coolers, were all beyond a simple cleaning. In the end, it would have been cheaper to do two new engines than piecemeal catching up on everything.
Kapn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 11:25 AM   #32

City: Nanaimo
Vessel Name: Pilitak
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
To the OP, Welcome aboard the forum and good luck with your boat search.
If I were you, I would ask lots of questions of the current owner, examine all maintenance records, logbooks, etc. to try to understand how this boat has been used and maintained. If you don't like the answers or he is not forthcoming, then walk.

I agree wholeheartedly with those who have stated that it is far worse for an engine to 'just sit" than to use it regularly. Overloading the engine (over propped) is also very hard on an engine.

As far as using a diesel engine under low RPM's and light load, most of what has been stated here (the response from Cummins excepted) is "old wives tales". Tony Athens (from Seaboard Marine (sbmar.com)), who is an engine expert with over 35 years experience, states that he has never seen an engine fail due to being operated under load at low RPM's. He states a better indication is how much fuel has flowed through the engine (burned). The more fuel, the more wear (all things being equal). So for example, 1000 hours at 2400 RPM creates more wear than 1000 hours at 1200 RPM (in theory).

Another boater I know, who has operated his Cummins 6BTA (2001) at low RPM since new now has almost 10,000 hours on it and it still runs very well. He does all of the necessary maintenance religiously.
Check out Tony's website, there is lots of good info there. In a nutshell, check out the exhaust for "doomed to fail" installation, regularly maintain the raw water components, change the oil as recommended, and give the engine good, clean fuel, and don't run it with no load at idle for long periods of time. Oh, yeah, and use it!
Again, Good Luck.