135+ year old wooden boat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mako

Guru
So how do you build a wooden boat that will last 135 years, while sitting in fresh water the whole time? I really don't know, but someone during the Civil War did.

I went diving last weekend in Troy Spring in northern Florida and here (I'm told) are the ribs of a Civil War barge that sank/sunk/sinked. The wood was so hard I could not budge the brass pins sticking out.

Anyway, I thought this was amazing. Perhaps it was built from Live Oak, or maybe just old growth cypress. Maybe one of you guys knows more about this.

Attachments

• Troy Spring Civil War Barge.jpg
    Troy Spring Civil War Barge.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 60
So how do you build a wooden boat that will last 135 years, while sitting in fresh water the whole time? I really don't know, but someone during the Civil War did.

I went diving last weekend in Troy Spring in northern Florida and here (I'm told) are the ribs of a Civil War barge that sank/sunk/sinked. The wood was so hard I could not budge the brass pins sticking out.

Anyway, I thought this was amazing. Perhaps it was built from Live Oak, or maybe just old growth cypress. Maybe one of you guys knows more about this.

From my understanding, barges weren't built with quality woods like oak. That was saved for the higher end boats and passenger vessels. They usually used whatever could be had quick, close, and in large quantities. Barges take a lot of long straight lumber.

Must have been old growth cypress then. They are abundant in that area.

I dove that wreck 30 years ago. According to Ned DeLoach's Diving Guide to Underwater Florida, that is the Old Suwannee river steamboat "Madison ". It was scuttled in September of 1863.

20190805_151325.jpg

Ted

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom