12V shower/sink pump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jbishop

Vessel Name
Olivia Reese
Vessel Make
1985 Zirlott Trawler
I will purchase a new 12v pump which supplies the shower and sink and am looking for suggestions. I currently have a Shurflo 4.0gpm, 60psi which draws 9 amps and is not enough for the shower. Any advice or suggestions is greatly appreciated.

If that's not enough for the shower, it may be time to consider a different shower head and/or to check for anything that's restricting flow. My fresh water pump is only good for 3.5 gpm and the pressure switch cuts it off at 40 - 45 psi. And I rarely turn the shower on fully (and when I do, it's more than enough flow). IMO, more than that is a great way to chew up a lot of water very quickly, so I'd be cautious about going to a super high flow system.

Have you tried opening and cleaning the pump you have to improve its function? Check the strainer?

The 4gpm should be plenty for the shower and light use of another faucet.

I would check for restrictions before I replaced that pump.

Clean the shower head. That’s a good size pump.

I think the current pump should be adequate but maybe there is a faucet that has debris or a restriction. I just replaced our galley sink faucet and the flow was severely restricted. Even though it was brand new the aerator either was plugged up when I got it or it plugged up very quickly. I cleaned it out and the flow was good.

A wee tip.
To clean the shower head cheaply, put about half a pint of vinegar in a plastic bag, put the shower head in it and secure it tight with an elastic band making sure there's enough vinegar to completely immerse the shower head.
Leave overnight, remove the bag and put the vinegar in the toilet (it'll help to clean it too) turn on the shower, hey presto ! Clean shower head.

Back
Top Bottom