Old 02-25-2018, 08:39 AM   #1
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Sea Bear
Vessel Model: Kadey-Krogen 54
Water run off the top deck? Looking for ideas.

Hi all,
Like many Trawlers during rain storms water exits the stop deck drain holes and then dribbles down the side of the boat on my KK54. It’s an irritation on the walk around side but turns into a stream of sorts down my new windows on the widebody side. Seeing many creative installs on other boats for drainage spouts I know I’m not alone.

The PO had used PVC tubes he stuck in the drainage holes but they didn’t work great nor did they survive the trip from Florida. Not to mention on such a classic looking boat they look ridiculous...

What did you all end up doing to push water runoff away from the boat? Creative and even more involved ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Arthurc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 09:11 AM   #2
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. A. EXCELLENT question. I'm experiencing the same things but rather than slopping on the windows, my handrails are taking a beating/wetting.
From what I've seen on boats that are the same model as ours, originally there was a teak trim piece along the outside of the side deck overhang. Ours is absent.

What I have been looking for and I don't know if it would be applicable in your specific situation is a large "J" track to fit on the outside of the overhang and channel the water, either to the stern or to a central spout of some sort that would direct run off outboard of the railings enough to minimize soaking the railings. Something like this but in a white or complimentary colored plastic. I can find small profile tracks (1/2" to 3/4") but I would much prefer something at least 2X as large.

Just found these RV things...http://www.ebay.com/bhp/rv-gutter
Old 02-25-2018, 09:17 AM   #3
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Sea Bear
Vessel Model: Kadey-Krogen 54
I like the idea, I’m going to go look at how that might work on mine today. The other thing I thought about was to make fiberglass pieces that allow the water to run further off the boat, same principle as the tubes but if done well could look much better.
Old 02-25-2018, 09:25 AM   #4
Guru

City: Beaverton, Ontario
Vessel Name: Looking Glass
Vessel Model: Carver 370 Voyager
RVs use a gutter extension for the same reason, to avoid black streaks down the side. Not sure what your setup is but may be a consideration.

http://https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Exterior/Camco/CAM42452.html?feed=npn&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI0t-Bra_B2QIVxiSBCh2RngVDEAQYAiABEgK-GfD_BwE
Old 02-25-2018, 09:30 AM   #5
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. LB. Hahahaha...Great minds...

Mr. A. The "J" piece pictured above is extruded aluminum. I have yet to find anything plastic, larger than the following:

https://www.trimlok.com/plastic-extrusion/drip-rail

The above may work, in my case. but I'm not willing to take the chance and I'm holding out for bigger stuff.
Old 02-25-2018, 09:38 AM   #6
Guru

City: Columbia City, OR & Mulege, BCS
Vessel Name: Imagine
Vessel Model: Farrell 34
I rolled a half-pipe out of clear Gorilla tape (stuck the sticky sides together), trimmed the end to shape and stuck the sticky end to the floor of the drain exit..viola!..no more green streaks down the cabin! It's clear, not a hazard to bump into, can't see it unless I tell you to look for it.

Is good for about 2 to 3X the diameter of your drain, may not be long enough for your big boat. Or maybe combine this idea with a shorter physical drain.
GoneFarrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 10:45 AM   #7
Veteran Member

City: St. james city FL.
Vessel Name: White Pelican
Vessel Model: Marine Trader 34' sedan 1973
Click image for larger version

Name:	P2250533.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	73276

I have about a six inch overhang from the bridge. Rain water tens to migrate
under the overhang and drip on the windows and walls of the cabin.

To cure this I put thin chrome looking auto side molding around the edge of
entire overhang.
The water hits the molding and drops off.
Don't know if this would work for you, but it may help somebody.
milt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 01:09 PM   #8
Guru

City: Birch bay wa
Vessel Name: Rogue
Vessel Model: North Pacific 42
Here is what I did. When I need to catch rain water, just stick the hoses in a bucket, otherwise is goes out scrubbers. With freshwater flush on head, it saves a lot using rainwater to refill bowl. Catches about 80% of rainfall from upper deck. Great for the he NW.
Attached Thumbnails
45ECCAB3-9117-48F9-AF41-CA379490767C.jpg   006428B1-6862-4306-9FB2-F7841D0EF690.jpg   4914B02F-7847-47D8-AF09-85744B462BC1.jpg   BEE1B9AB-6975-44D6-85DD-2C33D539476A.jpg  
Rebel112r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 04:13 AM   #9
Veteran Member

City: Gold Coast
Vessel Name: Serenity 2.0
Vessel Model: Mimosa 40
Love that idea Rebel112r. Might have to look into something similar myself. The regular summer afternoon storms here provide heaps of water catching opportunities and seeing all that water running off the roof seems such a waste. Provides more incentive to ensuring the roof is squeaky clean too :-)
Rhinoc is offline   Reply With Quote