Old 01-27-2016, 07:08 PM   #121
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quantity = 3600 x Area of hole in sq ft x sq rt of depth.

3600 x 1/9 x 3.16

1264 gpm.

So another set of numbers we don't know what to do with now that we have them.

BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 07:18 PM   #122
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
I'm unwilling to speculate but we know these facts for sure:
1) NO loss of life (the most important).
2) Water was entering the vessel faster than it was being emptied, IF in fact (speculation) it was being emptied at all.
3) I'm going to have to re-evaluate the pump system on our boat.

Old 01-27-2016, 07:21 PM   #123
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Quantity = 3600 x Area of hole in sq ft x sq rt of depth.

3600 x 1/9 x 3.16

1264 gpm.

So another set of numbers we don't know what to do with now that we have them.
how does that compare to the chart I posted? (to lazy to do the reverse math right now )

but with a square root that results in 3.16 would be around 1 feet deep, the chart I posted would show that to be a little over a 4 inch hole...which9s not what I get when I reverse math it...more like a 2.25 inch hole.

My math could be off as I am whooped...
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 07:28 PM   #124
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
how does that compare to the chart I posted? (to lazy to do the reverse math right now )
24.9% higher.

To me the variation of numbers makes sense as these are all just means of approximation. I would still like to know where the brackets belong on the Navy formula.

As to the formula used on your chart, you now do have me curious. Might have to reverse engineer that.
Old 01-27-2016, 07:45 PM   #125
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post

but with a square root that results in 3.16 would be around 1 feet deep, the chart I posted would show that to be a little over a 4 inch hole...which9s not what I get when I reverse math it...more like a 2.25 inch hole.

My math could be off as I am whooped...
Here's what I get on your chart.

Q = 20 x sq of diameter (which is area if square) x sq rt of depth

So 4 inches at 10 feet would be

20 x 16 x 3.16227 = 1012
Old 01-27-2016, 10:33 PM   #126
Guru

City: Melbourne, FL
Quote:
I don't get the same page numbering as you apparently. Can you give a section number?
Sorry, I messed up the number. At the bottom of the page it says 7-24. on the PDF, it is 207
stubones99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 10:50 PM   #127
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubones99 View Post
Sorry, I messed up the number. At the bottom of the page it says 7-24. on the PDF, it is 207
I found it....np
Old 01-28-2016, 12:04 AM   #128
THD
Guru

City: Seattle
To sum up the water flow issue-if you have a 4" hole in your boat, lots of frickin' water is coming in your boat really, really fast!

I have to say I like the idea of the guy in the bunk as an early warning system! Just don't let him drink too much!
THD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 02:49 AM   #129
Scraping Paint

City: -
Maybe someone wanted the boat to sink. I know of an airplane in Hawaii that suffered an engine "problem" that put it in the ocean in a thousand feet of water, a ditching that was very convenient financially to the air cargo company that owned the plane.

Never say never......
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 08:12 AM   #130
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
Maybe someone wanted the boat to sink. I know of an airplane in Hawaii that suffered an engine "problem" that put it in the ocean in a thousand feet of water, a ditching that was very convenient financially to the air cargo company that owned the plane.

Never say never......
Not likely with the owners on board. And 6 or 7 crew. To many to pay off, to many that could talk.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 08:15 AM   #131
Guru

City: Melbourne, FL
The best two days of your life: when you finally get to buy "The Boat", and when you sell "The Boat" or settle with the insurance company for the loss of "The Boat"
stubones99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 08:28 AM   #132
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Bill11 View Post
Not likely with the owners on board. And 6 or 7 crew. To many to pay off, to many that could talk.
My favorite "was it an insurance job?"

Get a SAR call at daybreak....80 foot fishing vessel sinking 40 something miles off Atlantic City. It's March or April so the water temp is in the 50s if I recall.

We do our search as a Brooklyn USCG helo does their half of the search area for an hour plus.

We are low on fuel and declare bingo fuel to return to base to refuel. The brand new crewman says over the intercom...."sir, whats that off our port side?". Back in the day the Jersey coast was filled with trash and it looked like a line of trash way out. Even though this was the crewmans first rescue....he was pretty adamant (pretty gutsy considering the rank difference and the copilot was tapping the fuel gauge) that we investigate.

So I slide the helo over and sure enough, one guy laying prone in a survival suit, 4 guys in regular life jackets and street clothes clinging to him, and one guy with no life jacket in street clothes laying across the guy in the survival suit. Fortunately it was fairly calm (maybe 3-4s).

We hoisted 3 or 4 and the Brooklyn helo grabbed the rest.

We flew them to Atlantic City airport where ambulances staged and checked them out for injuries and hypothermia.

As the last one was taken off to the hospital in an ambulance with now a pretty big crowd forming, a reporter walks over to me and asks "do you think it was an insurance job?".... I turned to her and replied "if it was, it was some pretty poor planning on someone's part"...

Both helos were about to leave the area for at least an hour while refueling and restarting a search that probably would not have sighted them until well into the next search where it overlapped the first.

Several of the crew would not have lasted another couple hours in that water....they were VERY lucky...and no it wasn't the captain in the survival suit IIRC.

So whether or not this yacht was an insurance job, as Capt Bill pointed out, planning for contingencies is important in insurance fraud...
Old 01-28-2016, 09:59 AM   #133
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Quote:
And with credit to a quiet forum member, as to the question of whether ABS has the same rules as Lloyd on stabilizers. Posted on another forum.

So does ABS. The rules for yachts follow the "standard" IACS wording that the stabilizer be fitted in a watertight compartment or if damaged cannot lead to flooding of auxiliaries or other necessary equipment or create progressive flooding.
Yup, as posted by RickB on Yacht Forums. Which leads to the question to what regs, codes and class was this vessel built?
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 10:34 AM   #134
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
Yup, as posted by RickB on Yacht Forums. Which leads to the question to what regs, codes and class was this vessel built?
It was built to ABS Class.
Old 01-28-2016, 11:00 AM   #135
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Thirteen Rescued From Sinking Yacht Off Fort Lauderdale (VIDEO) | | PassageMaker
menzies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 11:16 AM   #136
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Quote:
It was built to ABS Class.
So that being the case, it could not have been the stabilizer area sinking the vessel. A strike would not have sunk the vessel. Unless of course incorrect maintenance, corrosion or faulty construction occurred.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 11:22 AM   #137
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
So that being the case, it could not have been the stabilizer area sinking the vessel. A strike would not have sunk the vessel. Unless of course incorrect maintenance, corrosion or faulty construction occurred.
It would seem the case. Now, their class was terminated in December. It may just be deciding not to renew as many do. However, it may mean that the normal survey that would have been done last year was not done.

Still, the stabilizer story, while possible, sure doesn't sound likely.
Old 01-28-2016, 02:00 PM   #138

City: Magothy River, MD
Vessel Name: Sabrina
Vessel Model: '85 KK36 Manatee
The article from PassageMaker / Soundings says

"Thirteen people were rescued from a 106-foot yacht that sank Monday evening in the waters off Fort Lauderdale.

A family of six from Brazil, who owned the yacht, and six crewmembers were rescued and were not injured."

What am I missing? 6 +6 = 12 not 13. Just a typo?
River Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 02:09 PM   #139
Guru

Maybe the guy who opened the scuttle valves jumped off in the inlet.

Or a friend of the family who the reporters didn't include in their "sound bite" style.
Old 01-28-2016, 02:33 PM   #140
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by River Rat View Post
The article from PassageMaker / Soundings says

"Thirteen people were rescued from a 106-foot yacht that sank Monday evening in the waters off Fort Lauderdale.

A family of six from Brazil, who owned the yacht, and six crewmembers were rescued and were not injured."

What am I missing? 6 +6 = 12 not 13. Just a typo?
Captain.

They repeatedly list it as family of six, crew of six, and one captain. Don't ask me why they just don't call it family of six and crew of seven.