Old 10-22-2014, 03:54 AM   #41
Dauntless Award
City: New York, NY
Vessel Name: Dauntless
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 - 148
Originally Posted by tpbrady View Post
After trying to install the 12vdc USB charger only to find it bad out of the box, I decided to count the number of USB devices I needed to charge. After reaching 4, I am going to install a 12vdc powered USB hub as a charging station. When their are guests on board, everybody gets a port.

Don't need to cut a hole.

But I would have cut the hole first, then figured I didn't need it and spent the next 1 year, 3 months, & 23 days, looking at the hole.
Don't ask why I know.

M/Y Dauntless, New York
a Kadey Krogen 42 Currently in Western Europe
Find us:
Wxx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 11:03 AM   #42
City: Vero Beach, FL.
Vessel Name: FIREFLY
Vessel Model: Pilgrim 40
Originally Posted by kthoennes View Post
Needed a new tension finger spring on the windlass. One spring, $10, one hex head screw. Ten minutes. Well, screw is bent, might as well order and change that too. Well, might was well replace the anchor rode because the old rode (rope portion) is too stiff, won't feed and lie well. Well, might as well take the windlass off and replace the warped base panel (starboard). Well, with all that off, might as well take off the bow pulpit because it's cracked and warped and lets rainwater run under the pulpit and down the anchor locker into the bilge. Need a fiberglass guy to straighten and reglass the whole pulpit. Need new bronze bolts and nuts and lock washers and flat washers to remount the pulpit. Might as well replace all the hardware to the bow strut under the pulpit. Need to reglass the area of the bow under the pulpit that the previous owner had turned into swiss cheese, so it doesn't rot someday, and so the hawse pipe hole is smooth and sealed. Rewire the windlass. Re-braid the new rope to the anchor chain.

Ten minutes, $10 spring = one month and about $900.
Classic !!! So me

SCOTTEDAVIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 03:57 PM   #43
City: Sidney BC
Vessel Name: Rochepoint
Vessel Model: Cheer Men PT38 Sedan
Originally Posted by ksanders View Post
Yep, have you cut the bigger hole yet???

If not, you are going to learn very quickly that drilling a larger hole is going to be no fun at all. That's because you have no guide hole for your hole saw.

If I can suggest, if you take a piece of scrap stock, and attach or place it over the existing hole you'lll end up with a much happier experience.

Another method that saves allot of frustration is to draw the new hole over the old one and use your dremel to grind away material to fit.

If you are REALLY good with a hole saw you MIGHT be able to run the saw in reverse to make the cut, but that is for the highly experienced person, on soft material.

If you just go for it, chances are the saw will wanter, or catch, scratching up the surface.
Had to enlarge a hole for a new heater exhaust fitting, took a tapered wooden bung, lightly tapped it in the hull using the center mark on it and used a bigger hole was perfect.....
Mike Barge
MV Rochepoint
Sidney, British Columbia.
rochepoint is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 08:35 PM   #44
A battery booster with a cigarette lighter plug is very handy to keep aboard.

I like the ones that just need to use a standard 110V extension cord to charge.

Add a cigarette lighter USB adapter and one ends up with honest to goodness 10 minute boat project. I like battery booster pack coupled with the 12V inflater for the dingy too.

SaltyDog is offline   Reply With Quote