10-12 knot cruise trawler 26-32'?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't understand , once the speed requirements put the boat in the 1 MPG range, why settle for 12K?

Within reason 25K or 30K would cost the same per mile and get to the destination 200% or 300% faster.

Check out Albin Family Cruisers. They are several sizes. I know the later 27FC can make those numbers but fuel burn is reported to be varied. The 27 has somewhat of a Downeast styled hull under the waterline. I don't know what the 30 looks like below the waterline.

Trailerable behind a one ton but 9 feet wide.
albin-albin-27-family-cruiser-1135886.jpg

A little to big to trailer behind a one ton.
Boat-For-Sale-Albin-30-Family-Cruiser-Aft-Cabin-3039.jpg

Not to make you guys feel bad or anything, but last night I was invited aboard an MJM 50Z. Triple pod drives, 35 knot cruise....:)

Check out Albin Family Cruisers. They are several sizes. I know the later 27FC can make those numbers but fuel burn is reported to be varied. The 27 has somewhat of a Downeast styled hull under the waterline. I don't know what the 30 looks like below the waterline.

Trailerable behind a one ton but 9 feet wide.
albin-albin-27-family-cruiser-1135886.jpg

A little to big to trailer behind a one ton.
Boat-For-Sale-Albin-30-Family-Cruiser-Aft-Cabin-3039.jpg

Ben I don’t think there’s anything low burn about that boat. 300hp if my memory is good .. it’s not but ..

Ben I don’t think there’s anything low burn about that boat. 300hp if my memory is good .. it’s not but ..
Some did have higher HP engine. Most of the ones I looked at, 27FC, had between 60hp and 120hp.

I believe you are right. ^^^ An express cruiser is probably going to be the most appropriate boat for me.

I believe that my wife and I will be going the express cruiser route, as this type of boat best fits our cruising needs. (If money was no object we would likely buy a fast trawler.)

Our short list includes several Sea Ray Sundancers, depending on whether we decide to do extended cruising or not. Our budget is similar to yours, in that we want to keep in under 100K, plus we want a newer boat, and want a boat that can cruise in the low 20's.

For overnight cruising, I really like the 2007 - 2009 Sundancer 310. These boats start at about 75K.

In the early 2000's Sea Ray also offered 320 and 340 Sundancers.

For extended cruising, I really like the Sundancer 360/380. 2002 versions of the 360 run about 90K. Sundancer 380's of the same vintage also run about 90K. If a couple of years older, the 380's run about 80K. The 380 was also the entry point for diesels in the Sundancer line, although they are not very common in the 380's. Slightly older versions of the Sundancer 400 (commonly with diesels) run about 90 - 95K.

One neat thing about Sea Ray is that they have a lot of the owner brochures and manuals, on-line, going back for several decades to find out specifics about the different models and years.

Yes, all Sundancers will guzzle fuel, but that is true of almost any boat that gets on plane.

Regardless of what boats you might be interested in, my suggestion would be to go out on several boats and see what cruising is like at the slower speeds, 7-8 knots. If this is a comfortable speed then maybe a boat that fast cruises at 12-14 knots would suit you. However, maybe you might be most comfortable on a boat that routinely cruises at a faster speed, with occasionally slower cruising.

There is no right boat for everyone. Each of us has unique needs that need to be factor into selecting the right boat for us.

Good luck with your search,

Jim

Your question kind of shows you need to work through some things, both realistic hull speeds as well as there being a whopper of a difference between 26 and 32 foot boats, those are not two ends of one size range but two different size ranges entirely. With length comes increased hull speed and beam, making a few feet longer, much bigger.

But hey, you have to start somewhere and I appreciate how you are trying to whittle this down.

Take a look at a 26 Tolly. It’s a big boat in a small size. They are more planing boats, but can be run slower. Lots of amazingly kept specimens, today going for a song, many have been repowered with some nice engine packages.

Ghost, you are correct - I am almost completely ignorant about cruising sized boats. And like you say, just trying to whittle things down. I'm in no hurry, as funds for the boat won't appear until I retire in about 3 yrs anyway.

Thanks for the recommendations, everyone.
I will take a look at the Tolly's.

The first boat is a Halvorsen 32' Gourmet cruiser and will cruise 9-10 knots all day. The second photo is a friend's Island Gysy 32' and I think it will do the same or better. (I hope he joins in with info on this subject.)

Since we put the prop cage on 8kts is about it. Can do 9 or 10 but then pushing a big bow wave and consuming much more fuel.

Before the cage we could get 12kts at WOT, still pushing a big bow wave,but 8-9 was still the sweet spot.

Planing? Nah.

Ghost,
Is the 26 Tollycraft a light boat?
Wonder what the FB weighs.

My comments were directed towards the MK I and MK III models, a production run that started in 1978. Prices for these boats range from $15,000 to over $50,000

The 34T you looked at is a this century model, very different.

Another model maybe just in or over budget is the 390. I have seen them sell for less than $100K and they are a great value

:socool:

The newer Mainship 34T's are beautiful. I briefly considered them over the winter myself.

The OP is looking to stay under $100k though.

As you peruse- remember that the trade when going with some ECs is that getting up on the bow requires much different acrobatics than a walk around bow layout. Trades trades trades.

As you peruse- remember that the trade when going with some ECs is that getting up on the bow requires much different acrobatics than a walk around bow layout. Trades trades trades.

Trades? ECs? I don't know this jargon - please explain.

Trades? ECs? I don't know this jargon - please explain.

Sorry EC=Express Cruiser as mentioned above

Trades= desires may be outweighed by another feature. On a sundancer style boat (some, not all) hopping up on the bow to throw on a fender or dock line you forgot takes good balance and nimble knees or up via the hatch over the V-berth.

9,000 lbs according to my research. That's pretty heavy, but not extraordinarily so I don't guess.

9,000lbs is not light.
With a normal aspect ratio hull better than average fuel burn is not likely.
I don’t like the V drives but it’s better than outdrives.
If one could buy outboards w big props ..... but no.

Wonderful boat though w modern fuel injected Crusader engines.

I'm not ready to buy right now, but at least I have a boat to look for when I am.
What?You're not ready to buy? After all the advice you got from the TF brain trust?

Attachments

• Tire kicker.png
    Tire kicker.png
    49.4 KB · Views: 416
As mentioned earlier, SeaRay Sundancer models are well worth looking at. We had 3 over the years, logging thousands of miles. Our favorite was a 300 DA which was trailerable. Worth thinking about for hurricane country.

Ghost, you are correct - I am almost completely ignorant about cruising sized boats. And like you say, just trying to whittle things down. I'm in no hurry, as funds for the boat won't appear until I retire in about 3 yrs anyway.

Thanks for the recommendations, everyone.
I will take a look at the Tolly's.

3 years??! Lmao. You're patient!

As mentioned earlier, SeaRay Sundancer models are well worth looking at. We had 3 over the years, logging thousands of miles. Our favorite was a 300 DA which was trailerable. Worth thinking about for hurricane country.

Another fan of Sea Rays here. We had a 39 EC. Great boat, and there are some nice, well cared vessels out there. Our kids were still at home at the time, and we spent every weekend on the boat, year round. I drove it slow most of the time to conserve fuel.

It will, but the wall of water a Ranger pushes at speed is really atrocious.

Actually i don't think this is the case at least in the ~ 10kt range. The RT-31 has a WOT speed of about 18 kts. At about 10 kts it is burning 8 GPH according to a Power and Motoryacht review, I'll include their burn table below.
Don't get me wrong, the RTs are not for me as they are a bit too small but just trying to help the OP identify something small that still comes with a flybridge and a bit of speed.

RT_31_burn.JPG

Back
Top Bottom