The "10% Rule" For Maintenance.....How Close Are YOU?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
hmmm. . .probably at 10% so far in 2 months of ownership :angel:

Search TF and Cruising Forum for actual budgets from people who are cruising. Richard on TF has published his numbers as have others on both forums. There are people who have published 5-10 years worth of detailed data.

The 10% number is often quoted/repeated and the financials are looked at in detail in this book, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0072UO1VA/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1 which is from a sailing perspective. But the rigging costs vs engine/fuel costs kinda balance out.

Later,
Dan

I'm going to be at like 12% in the first week of ownership. But like you guys say, it's a meaningless number. We paid less than $30k for the boat, negotiated price down for repairs and we're getting it bottom painted while it's out. So once these big things are done, hopefully my maintenance costs won't be too bad.

Another thing that I've already learned is doing your own work saves a ton. For example the stereo wasn't working. Turned out the head unit died. Went to Wally World and bought a new one for $85 and installed it myself. That would have cost a lot more with labor. Also my rear AF died. I made some phone calls and it turns out it was just the LSD display and controller. You can't find those anymore. But I found a used one for $100. I would have paid someone to convert to the new circuit board and controller for $500 in parts alone.

Hope this helps!

Owning the same boat for 18 years gives me a feel for the costs. Basically the percentage rule doesn't make any sense to me. In a year in which there are no major repairs or additions I spend $10,000. I do much of the work myself but I do bring in outsiders for several things.

Over the two decades I have added major items, watermaker, stabilizers, dinghy crane, wing engine, new dinghy, new fuel tanks,generator rebuild, built in furniture. All of these have driven that year's cost through the roof. These costs appear to be in no way related to the value of the boat over the years.

Back
Top Bottom