1.Remote controlling 2.Calculating living space

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ddw36

Vessel Name
HI-HO
Vessel Make
Diesel Duck 462 (my fantasy)
1. Many boaters describe experiences in tight navigating & handling situations, such as picking up moorings, threading among coral reefs, etc. For single-handers, these situations may be eased if a person had remote control of speed & steering, while on the bow, for example. The controls could be worn around the neck, like those operating drones, model planes, etc. Joystick for steering, forward, back, etc.

As usual, there are many drawbacks of which I'm ignorant, one of which is how expensive to spec or retrofit a boat with this system.

2. Would it serve any purpose to list cubic feet for living spaces or other spaces like engine rooms/compartments in boat listings?

I'm not trolling. I've had limited boating experience, but enjoy reading/viewing others' boat lives, experiences, preferences, etc. I do not anticipate joining in any discussion which may follow, as I have no argument, just posing a couple of thoughts.

Last edited:
I use a Yacht Controller on this boat and the previous one. They are VERY proud of their product but I think it’s the best unit out there and used on boats much more $ than mine. I have control of the engine, thrusters, and anchor. Remotes for the thrusters only is a much cheaper route, but having the engine control is important to me because I single hand tie up the boat often. Yes, it can be done without fancy remotes (because I know those comments are coming) but I prefer not to wrestle with 45K lbs of windage when it’s windy so it was worth the investment....to me.

As to part 1, Yacht Controller and others. Not worn around your neck but portable.

As to part 2, I actually think there is some benefit to square footage and at least some measurements of rooms like we're use to on land. It can help to put things into perspective in terms we can relate to. Compared to houses and even apartments, the indoor square footage will be much less and the outdoor square footage much more.

It may be a shock at first for someone with a 15' x 13' Master Bedroom on land to find out they're moving into a 10' x 8'. However, there is another side and that is the incredibly efficient use of space on a boat. I remember the first time I was ever in a mobile home, wondering how they fit it all and then I saw so much more efficient use of space. RV's and Boat's even more so. Master Bedroom has everything built in, television on wall, storage even under the bed, far less empty space.

Still I think some conventional home measurements are a good starting spot and they would also be good for comparisons boat to boat.

I use a Yacht Controller on this boat and the previous one. They are VERY proud of their product but I think it’s the best unit out there and used on boats much more $ than mine. I have control of the engine, thrusters, and anchor. Remotes for the thrusters only is a much cheaper route, but having the engine control is important to me because I single hand tie up the boat often. Yes, it can be done without fancy remotes (because I know those comments are coming) but I prefer not to wrestle with 45K lbs of windage when it’s windy so it was worth the investment....to me.

The other option is having multiple fixed controls such as side decks or aft deck, but for most boats in the sizes here, Yacht Controller is a better choice. I know it can be done without, but how many times do we hear of the challenges of two person operation that Yacht Controller does address well.

Back
Top Bottom