Old 10-22-2017, 10:20 PM   #1

City: Norfolk, VA
Vessel Model: Bayliner 3870
1" diameter pump out line?

I'm changing out the line on my boat to help combat the stink. I've replaced a lot of the flush lines with 1" PVC and the rest with 1" hose (electric toilet output is 1"). My toilets are electric so it is a pretty thin slurry being pushed through. Any reason I couldn't install 1" dia. pump out line? I'm moving the pump out from the front/bottom of the tank to a stand pipe out of the top. 1" line would be easier to route back through to the deck fitting and is cheaper. I was planning to couple it to the section of 1 1/2" hose I left on the deck fitting.

Any good reason not to? I have to order a uniseal (which apparently is carried by ZERO stores local) to finish this up.

Thanks!
cool beans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 12:17 AM   #2
Guru

City: AR
If it were a good idea, Jabsco wouldn't be the only toilet mfr ever to use a 1" discharge...and even they finally had to start offering 1.5" toilet discharge fittings. Their macerator pump also has a 1" discharge, but the INLET fitting on it--on all overboard discharge pumps, manual and electric--is 1.5" All three hose fittings on all y-valves are 1.5"....all the fittings on treatment devices...in fact, everything else has 1.5" fittings....something to considers if you ever want to plumb the system to do anything but flush into a tank that can only be emptied via pumpout without having to also install a whole lot of adapters etc.

It'll become obvious once you've read these instructions Uniseal Instructions why the Uniseal isn't sold in ANY boat stores. After you've read 'em and before you do or buy anything, I strongly recommend you talk to the folks at Aussie Globe to find out exactly how to do it right the first time instead of just placing an order.

Peggie
"If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't completely understand it yourself." --Albert Einstein
HeadMistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 03:25 AM   #3
Guru

City: Full Time Cruising East Coast
Vessel Name: Meridian
Vessel Model: Krogen-42
Peggie, I wasn’t sure from your post if you are now NOT recommending Uniseal..
KK-42097
meridian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 06:18 AM   #4
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Cool beans, my toilets use standard macerating pumps that have 1.5 in and 1 in out.

They have regular 1 in braided pvc hose to both the electroscan and holding tank.

I just replumbed with 1.5 y valves in case I go with all diaphram pumps in the future, but forespar does make 1 in y valves.

https://cruisingoutfitters.com/produ...QaAsQjEALw_wcB

The macerator overboard was changed to a diaphram style pump this year as an experiment but goes to a 1 in through hull.

In 6 years the lines neither clog or stink, and use salt water flush. We are very light paper users.

I do live aboard so the lines are used daily except when not aboard for a few days here and there.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 08:39 AM   #5

City: Norfolk, VA
Vessel Model: Bayliner 3870
Peggie, I appreciate the detailed reply but i'm more confused now I think

My boat came with a Jabsco Electric Toilet and a Raritan Seaera Electric Toilet and both have 1" discharge. I swapped the Raritan into the guest head which is my primary bathroom and have it plumbed to 1" discharge line.

I had just assumed 1.5" lines were a holdover from manual toilets. Less chance of bigger lines getting clogged with semi-solid chunks of stuff getting pushed through. I'd also assume, within the context of that line of reasoning, that the majority of fittings accessories available as 1.5" is because of the plethora of old boats with manual toilets. Made sense in my head anyways

Same thought with the stand alone macerator pumps, kind of like a trash pump. Big inlet to suck in chunky stuff and reduce it to thin slurry.

The uniseal instructions I think are the same ones I have from when I put a holding tank in my old sailboat. It was a stand pipe kit (rip off). It was an easy install and never leaked. Other than they don't appear to be idiot proof, I can't sea why they wouldn't be sold in stores?

Thanks for the reply Psneeld! My "no TP in the toilet" rule from the sailboat has carried over to the boat. Except for my little brother whom I never told, and subsequently clogged my toilet which has led me down this rabbit hole (he uses a LOT)

i have no plans to leave the Chesapeake Bay anytime soon, so I've removed all the overboard discharge options.

thanks!
cool beans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 09:57 AM   #6
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Cool beans, my toilets use standard macerating pumps that have 1.5 in and 1 in out. They have regular 1 in braided pvc hose to both the electroscan and holding tank.
If that's true, there have to be adapter fittings on all of them because the flush water inlet fittings on all marine toilets, manual and electric, are 3/4" and the inlet and outlet fittings on the Lectra/San, ElectroScan and PuraSan are all 1.5". I have no idea what "braided" pvc hose is.

Several years ago Raritan began supplying discharge fittings for the SeaEra, Elegance and Atlantes that can accept either a 1.5" or 1" hose in order to make unnecessary for owners who are replacing Jabsco toilets to replace a 1" discharge hose or use 1' x 1.5" adapters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meridian View Post
Peggie, I wasn’t sure from your post if you are now NOT recommending Uniseal..
Terry, I would have said so if I were no longer recommending the Uniseal...I love it! And fwiw, it's what Dometic SeaLand uses for their overpriced diptube kits.

But I have always advised getting advice from Aussie Globe instead of just ordering blindly because, as you saw in the instructions, the size needed--even the size hole needed--isn't obvious....which is the reason it isn't available "off the shelf" in any boat store. I wouldn't order one myself without talking to 'em.

Peggie
"If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't completely understand it yourself." --Albert Einstein
Old 10-23-2017, 02:30 PM   #7
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
I apologize, technically tubing, but most call it hose.....

Trident Reinforced PVC Tubing

And believe it or not, most hose or tubing can be adapted to other sizes easily and inexpensively, or even off the shelf like the "y" valves that are 1 in..... they do exist as I linked.

My system isnt perfect, but better and cheaper than most manufacturer suggested systems.

Plus I dont remember mentioning flush fittings at all....
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 04:21 PM   #8
Guru

Weelll...you said "my toilets use standard macerating pumps that have 1.5 in and 1 in out." "In" usually refers to flush water...unless you don't actually have macerating toilets, but cobbled up a macerator discharge pump to use instead.

But... it's your boat, whatever floats it for you is all that matters
Old 10-23-2017, 04:58 PM   #9

City: Albany, NY
Vessel Name: Gypsy Star
Vessel Model: Gulf Star 43
Data point:

I had my sailboat rigged up with a diaphram bilge pump to empty the holding tank since I was frequently offshore in legal waters. The head was a standard manual Groco. Lots of TP went in the tank, lots. Never had a problem with either the head, deck pump out, or using the overboard pump with its 1" line even though nothing was macerated.

I just installed a Jabsco electric for our guest head (I know, Peggie, but I got a good deal). I'm using the 1" hose because it saved disassembling lots of joiner work to snake through the original holes which look like they were drilled before the boat was fully put together. I never could have gotten the 1 1/2 hose through there.

It's a second head so not as critical. I'll report any problems.

Still waiting for the tank. I've tested it with clean water into the bilge. Wow! Is it noisy. I might have spent the extra couple of hundred bucks for a Raritan if I'd known. It's way at the other end of the boat though so I think we can live with it. Everyone in a marina is going to know if someone uses it though. It's louder than the bow thruster was on our last trawler.
Old 10-23-2017, 09:46 PM   #10
Guru

All sea water electric macerating toilets are noisy, Rog...some are just noiser than others. 'Cuz contrary to what most people believe it's NOT the discharge impeller and macerator blade that makes the most noise...it's the intake pump 'cuz it' has work harder. Which is why toilets designed to use onboard pressurized fresh water are a LOT quieter. So while Raritan sea water toilets are quieter than Jabsco sea water toilets, they still make a noticeable amount of noise. You can quiet your Jabsco down at least a little by mounting it on a 1/2' foam rubber "pad."