Old 04-07-2019, 10:28 AM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Pnw
Vessel Name: SARAH TOO
Vessel Model: 40’ beer can
For the ďso ugly itís cuteĒ category

Iíve been eyeing this boat for a while and itís really growing on me. It appears to be an all aluminum hull that is home built. I think I have to go take a look. The details are thin as the owners have passed away. But it does appear to have a 40í all alloy hull and cabin with twin diesels that might be 6 Cyl, but are not Cummins.
What is attracting me to it is that it has a trawler layout but there appears to be a large daybed in the pilot house which appeals to me over an all business driving area.
Anyone have any thoughts on it, or know of where the design originates?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	075E6643-6017-4DBA-89FD-2894F70A6CFF.jpeg
Views:	234
Size:	148.6 KB
ID:	87305   Click image for larger version

Name:	74FCCB7E-0B95-441C-80EB-5F51D836AD24.jpeg
Views:	257
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	87306  

Sea Word is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 10:31 AM   #2
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. SW. Horses for courses. Depends on what you want the boat to do for you. By all means, take a look AND take pictures. Where is this vessel? Fresh or salt water?

Old 04-07-2019, 10:51 AM   #3
Guru

City: Doha
Obviously looks like an inland river houseboat. See if you can get it for free. Sell off the engines, strip it out and then sell the aluminum to a scrap yard. You might make a couple thousand in profit.
makobuilders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 10:54 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by makobuilders View Post
Obviously looks like an inland river houseboat. See if you can get it for free. Sell off the engines, strip it out and then sell the aluminum to a scrap yard. You might make a couple thousand in profit.
Lol you think you can get an aluminum boat for free? Not around here that’s for sure. I take it you don’t see any value in it being a boat and would rather see it be beer cans?
It is inland river but I don’t know the criteria for being a houseboat. This has a pointy pow and a v hull, and a proper piloting helm so I don’t see it being in that category myself. But I don’t know much about this size boat in all honesty.
Old 04-07-2019, 11:05 AM   #5
Enigma

Greetings,
Ah, Mr. SW. Ya done snuck another picture into your OP. Nothing I've seen so far would set off any alarm bells. See if you can find out anything else about her...Looks like she may be an I/O drive.
Old 04-07-2019, 11:31 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Iím thinking they are outdrives yes. Which I hate. But hopefully Volvoís. She said the engines are 4cyl Isuzuís.
Old 04-07-2019, 11:43 AM   #7
Guru

City: St. Petersburg, Florida
Vessel Name: M/V Sherpa
Vessel Model: 24' Vashon Diesel Cruiser
Always nice to see someone breathe new life into an old boat. I like the look of the pilot house. It looks quite roomy. Can you post some pictures of the interior?
Old 04-07-2019, 11:57 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Iíll take a bunch today and post. Itís listed as a 2005 so it might not be that old, but then again being home built it might have been starter decades earlier.
Old 04-07-2019, 12:01 PM   #9
Guru

City: NARBONNE
Vessel Name: 'Snow Mouse.'
Vessel Model: BROOM FLYBRIDGE 42.
The Isuzu is a good diesel engine and is fitted in many forklifts etc, but personally I wouldn't touch Volvo and especially outdrives. I stress that's my personal opinion.
IF the boat comes cheap and is suitable for the waters you wish to cruise in and passes after a thorough hull inspection then go for it.
The first thing I would do though is to ensure that you fit full cathodic protection, after that its up to you if you wish to keep 2 diesels or remove them and fit a single. if there's a night class nearby it would be useful if you went to learn how to weld aluminium to enable you to create your 'perfect' boat.
Not everyone wishes to cruise in the sea and are perfectly happy to cruise inland waters, whatever you choose I wish you good luck and safe happy cruising.
Irish Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 12:08 PM   #10
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Looks like a lake boat with its low bow and shallow draft.
Old 04-07-2019, 12:10 PM   #11
Veteran Member

City: SW Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Word View Post
Iíll take a bunch today and post. Itís listed as a 2005 so it might not be that old, but then again being home built it might have been starter decades earlier.
I suggest you try eliciting a response from the folks at aluminumalloyboats.com. They are all over stuff like this.
leeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 12:50 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Thanks for replies! As a career welder of aluminum for 25 years the prospect of welding on this thing is about the least daunting aspect. I have no desire to see salt water so this would be used on our rivers.
I tried to join aluminum alloy boats but their securit question is preventing me from joining. It’s one of the dumbest things I’ve run across on the internet actually. It says “what’s a slang term for the bottom of the ocean”. I’ve tried everything I can think of and searched their own stupid faq sections and not found it. So I’m stuck there unless you guys can help.
Old 04-07-2019, 12:52 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Rambler View Post
The Isuzu is a good diesel engine and is fitted in many forklifts etc, but personally I wouldn't touch Volvo and especially outdrives. I stress that's my personal opinion.
IF the boat comes cheap and is suitable for the waters you wish to cruise in and passes after a thorough hull inspection then go for it.
The first thing I would do though is to ensure that you fit full cathodic protection, after that its up to you if you wish to keep 2 diesels or remove them and fit a single. if there's a night class nearby it would be useful if you went to learn how to weld aluminium to enable you to create your 'perfect' boat.
Not everyone wishes to cruise in the sea and are perfectly happy to cruise inland waters, whatever you choose I wish you good luck and safe happy cruising.
Iím curious if your assertion to change the twins to a single comes from some desire to stick within a trawler framework or? Personally I see the benefits of twins being vastly superior for everything except, well I donít know why Iíd ever want a single over twins in a boat this size. Itís the outdrives that bug me more than anything. Iíd consider moving them forward and doing direct drives but not until I hate the outdrives substantially.
Old 04-07-2019, 01:30 PM   #14
Guru

City: st pete
Vessel Model: 400 Mainship
A comment about older Volvo outdrives... they had a HUGE corrosion issues, even in fresh water, but deadly in salt. Big lawsuits, etc. Probably some 20+ years ago. I got involved when I bought a boat from a guy that spend 25K on new Volvos drives because of this and Volvo did not treat him well. I benefitted with the new drives, but they (and the Volvo engines) were still a POS. I would have that boat today if it wasn't for Volvo. Should have got the Mercs. Formula 31PC..... great boat.
Old 04-07-2019, 02:00 PM   #15
Veteran Member

So which outdrives dont suck balls? I’ve only had one, a merc alpha and sold it yesterday. Hated working on it, hated how it handled, hated it. Big complaint was how it wandered at slow speeds, but maybe twins would be less prone to that.
Old 04-07-2019, 04:28 PM   #16
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
The boat is dirty.
But not ugly.
IMO

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 04:34 PM   #17

City: Baltimore, Maryland
Vessel Name: Star Chaser
Vessel Model: 1982 Carver 3607
I'd find out a whole lot more about those engines if'n I was you.
StarChaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 05:09 PM   #18
Veteran Member

The engines are in fact 4 Cyl Isuzuís and donít leak, both run smooth. Hours unknown. Zero blow by on both however, like less blow by than Iíve ever seen on an engine, and not gunky in the heads that I could see. The boat is furry, needs hauled and cleaned, probably painted too. As to be expected.

Itís funky, like real funky, and has significant hull damage from humping another barge for unknown length of time. But, nothing I canít repair in a short enough time. Overall it needs remodeled but seems solid enough.

The drives are Volvo 270. My buddy says they are better than mercs and are the commmercial fishing boat choice, probably solid enough for this application.
Opinions?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E08DAAA7-F684-490A-8AC0-7342F385B479.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	118.7 KB
ID:	87307   Click image for larger version

Name:	B4797861-68AC-4263-852F-6BE916523C05.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	109.1 KB
ID:	87308  
Old 04-07-2019, 05:52 PM   #19
Enigma

Greetings,
Mr. SW. What do you want an opinion on? Whether or not you should buy it? Hey man, if she talks to you, the price is one you can live with and she'll go where you want....

Old 04-07-2019, 06:14 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Just wether that outdrive is garbage or not. I guess the opinions stated on the Volvo’s were not glowing. But it’s hard to imagine spending 25k on any drives. If faced with drive issues like that I’d probably repower with outboards instead.