It’s Showtime

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wxx3

Dauntless Award
Vessel Name
Dauntless
Vessel Make
Kadey Krogen 42 - 148
OK, Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, the time has finally come to get this show on the road :dance:

Dauntless is loaded, (I wish I was) and most stuff is put away, well, at least on the outside of the boat.

After more than 5 years of dreaming, hoping, wishing, planning, reading and even some arithmetic, the time has finally come to shove off.

In about 4 hours, Sunday, 20 July 2014, Dauntless, with Julie and I will depart our home away from home in Providence, Rhode Island and set our sights on the Portuguese islands of the Azores.

But before we can even go east, we must travel down the Narragansett River, then northeast through Buzzards Bay, to pass through the Cape Cod Canal in midafternoon when we will have favorable currents.

From then, we’ll see how we feel, whether to anchor one last time in North America at the tip of Cape Cod or to turn right and head east.

While our route is somewhat dependent on weather and seas, we are planning on the great circle route (course 082° T) from Cape Cod to the Azores as it takes one southeast of Nova Scotia, east along 42°N then east-southeast.

1900 nm, it will take 13 days, maybe 12 with the following seas we hope to have, we will pretty much be riding over the top of the Bermuda/Azores High.

We now have a Delorme InReach Satellite Phone. It will only do texts, but it does allow two way communications all the way across the ocean. You can follow our route with updates every 10 minutes and/or contact us by going to the website https://share.delorme.com/Dauntless

Once on the above page, on the left column, you click on my name, which allows you to select the other buttons above, Locate, Message, and Center. So Locate pings the phone, basically updating the map. Message allows you to send us a text message and Center, does just that, it re-centers the map.

I’ll pretty much have the InReach on until I get to winter quarters, probably in Ireland, probably at the end of September.

Richard,

Needless to say most of us are envious of your adventure!

Fair winds and following seas.. have a safe voyage!

HOLLYWOOD

You Guys have a great adventure ahead of you.
Stay safe out there and we will all be with you.
Cheers
Benn

Nordhavn eat your heart out

Good luck and fair seas. What no brass bands, news reporters, tv interviews, no corporate sponsors . You mean your just going to do it. No convoy with parts support! Wow, a big wow.

Looking forward to following your adventure

safe travels

When is that low of Hatteras and Greenland going to let you through?

Today looks pretty messy for the first 1000 miles (probably won't do all that today anyway):D

Absolutely awesome, Richard. My Admiral and I will be following with jealousy and anticipation. I just added the DeLorme site to my bookmark bar so it's there in front of me every time I turn on the computer.

Last edited:
Richard and Julie have a great safe trip. Will be following your adventure!

Richard and Julie,

How Awesome! We on TF will be following along, but not without a little envy. Fair winds and following seas to you.

Looks like he is going past Prudence park now

Making the trip many will only dream about! Good luck and fair winds! We will be following closely.
Jim
KK145

Awesome! Safe travels;)

Too Cool Richard and Julie . Safe travels and fair winds .

Wow, too much pucker for me, I am never out of site of land for more than a couple hours. We wish you a fabulous voyage, stay safe! Will be following you.

As members may receive texts? from Dauntless, perhaps they could be posted here to share?
I too, as others have said, created a short cut to follow the cruise.
Safe sailing Dauntless! Although web browsing may be out of the question for the crew at this stage of voyage.

You are a true Mariner!

You will have a fantastic voyage, please keep us up to date on your travels!

Good luck and have fun!

Best of luck-Richard and Julie. You are travelling our dream-we look to make that trip in 5-6 years. Fair winds, following seas and safe trawlering (not sailing!) We will be following you with envy! Hope you brought the right anchor!

Richard,

Needless to say most of us are envious of your adventure!

Fair winds and following seas.. have a safe voyage!

Ditto, and amen to all that.

Have fun and be safe. What a journey... I too can't wait for details -- but don't spend so much time recording the events that you forget to live them. :)

I am trying to track Richard's progress and I am getting the following message. "There is no data matching the current Map Filters. Adjust the filters to display user data" and it is not displaying his location when I highlight his name and hit locate. Is anyone else running into this? Suggestions....

I am trying to track Richard's progress and I am getting the following message. "There is no data matching the current Map Filters. Adjust the filters to display user data" and it is not displaying his location when I highlight his name and hit locate. Is anyone else running into this? Suggestions....

I'm not sure what the issue is, Roger, but this AM I couldn't get anything but the page itself...no data or map or menu (using an old Mac). About 40 minutes ago, I checked it again with my Galaxy phone and it showed he was in the middle of Cape Cod Bay. Maybe it's the browser.

Guys I am tracking him fine after I opened the page I clicked on his name on the left and then have just refreshed

shows him camped out in Province town now

Awesome and jealous.Look forward to checking in and seeing updates on the blog and hopefully here.Safe journey.

Back
Top Bottom