@#&*%-Garmin Inreach !!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JDCAVE

Guru
Vessel Name
Phoenix Hunter
Vessel Make
Kadey Krogen 42 (1985)
Damn! Ever since Garmin has taken over the Inreach, it’s been a mess. At least for me it has! Completely useless last trip as they had an Earthmate problem and I couldn’t update it my entire trip as I was away from internet service. Now I want to get my map,squared away and the website is down.

Just one very, very frustrated user!

Jim

I feel your pain. I also had a bad experience with Inreach, it wouldn't pair with anything, and tech support was no help. So last week I sold it and bought a SPOT-X. Haven't used the SPOT yet, so can't comment on how well it works.

When we started our trip last week, Mapshare didn’t work and the tracker wasn’t tracking us. They called me enroute to say it was all fixed and it has worked OK since then. I wish I didn’t have to sync to a laptop to update firmware.

I wish I didn’t have to sync to a laptop to update firmware.

Yes! I agree!

Been working fine for me. Started 6 days ago and family are following us just fine.

I used to be a big fan. We used I extensively in past years, with the unlimited plan. But we started to have issues the last 2 years, and again this year. It’s a real PITA if tech support wants you to do a firmware update to fix your problem and the nearest cell service is days away! I just don’t think it ranks very high up on Garmin’s long term plan. I would be at all surprised if they let it go “fallow” one day. But if this is any indication of their commitment to support, I’ll be steering clear of Garmin when it comes to purchases of future bigger ticket electronics.

Jim

“Dear James,

Garmin has notified Roadpost that this issue has been resolved. The Explore portal and inReach device messaging are back online.

Original notice:

Garmin has notified Roadpost of an intermittent outage that is affecting inreach.garmin.com.

This issue prevents customers from logging in to their Explore account, and messages may also be delayed. Tracking and inbound/outbound messaging may be delayed, and customers may be unable to activate new devices, make changes using their inReach account, or sync inReach devices. (Note: Garmin has stated that SOS is unaffected by the messaging delay.)

Garmin is working to resolve the above issues ASAP.

An email update will be sent out when the issue has been resolved.

We recommend bookmarking the Garmin status page for direct updates from Garmin.

We apologize for the inconvenience.

Roadpost Customer Care Team”

I used to be a big fan. We used I extensively in past years, with the unlimited plan. But we started to have issues the last 2 years, and again this year. It’s a real PITA if tech support wants you to do a firmware update to fix your problem and the nearest cell service is days away! I just don’t think it ranks very high up on Garmin’s long term plan. I would be at all surprised if they let it go “fallow” one day. But if this is any indication of their commitment to support, I’ll be steering clear of Garmin when it comes to purchases of future bigger ticket electronics.

Jim

I agree. I've been using my InReach since 2014 and this is the worst it has been. IT will go long periods saying it is sending but actually is doing nothing. I don't realize it until someone texts me that they have not had a position report in 12 hours. In the meantime, the InReach is telling me that it is logging a position every minute and sending every 10 minutes.

Having had no experience with Garmin previously, I wouldn't touch any of their products at this point forward.
Even Active Captain has issues it never had before.

I'm still sold on the InReach, but I'd wish they would fix the ... thing.

One issue I saw with an InReach (not mine, but I was aboard) was that it simply didn't send out bread crumbs unless (1) it was used to send a text, or (2) it was plugged into a USB port for power. We suspected the batteries; it was a pretty old unit, and heavily used.

I just sync'd mine in preparation for a trip. The process seemed about the same as ever, and both the sync software and the inReach firmware had updates to apply. Not like most other Garmin products which get no development, and no updates, within a year or two after the sale.

It'll be interesting to see if I, too, start seeing the deteriorating service we all (justifiably) feared when Garmin bought them.

Be aware that Spot uses the Globalstar satellite network and rather than Iridium having global coverage, Globalstar has a fairly limited satellite footprint. It depends on where you want to go, but you can find areas on the globe that won't support Spot. Even Hawaii isn't covered well. With Iridium, you have a satellite going overhead every 45 minutes anywhere on earth. If you are blocked by tall mountains, you won't be in a few minutes.

Globalstar has stationary satellites that cover a designated area called their service footprint. Outside that, you won't get service.

https://www.findmespot.com/spotx/la...M3AIVk1uGCh1IqQivEAAYAiAAEgJYv_D_BwE#coverage

One issue I saw with an InReach (not mine, but I was aboard) was that it simply didn't send out bread crumbs unless (1) it was used to send a text, or (2) it was plugged into a USB port for power. We suspected the batteries; it was a pretty old unit, and heavily used...

Yes, mine has been doing that since last year. I need mine charging on Inverter whilst running to put down positions. Took a long time to figure that one out.

Jim

Be aware that Spot uses the Globalstar satellite network and rather than Iridium having global coverage, Globalstar has a fairly limited satellite footprint. It depends on where you want to go, but you can find areas on the globe that won't support Spot. Even Hawaii isn't covered well. With Iridium, you have a satellite going overhead every 45 minutes anywhere on earth. If you are blocked by tall mountains, you won't be in a few minutes.

Globalstar has stationary satellites that cover a designated area called their service footprint. Outside that, you won't get service.

https://www.findmespot.com/spotx/la...M3AIVk1uGCh1IqQivEAAYAiAAEgJYv_D_BwE#coverage
Good point. I will remember this if I ever decide to cross the Pacific or travel to the North Pole.

Damm!! You guys have me spooked. My nearly new (Garmin) inReach has been working flawlessly, messaging and tracking for 3700 miles since mid-May, but after reading this thread I decided to sync before leaving Juneau. Sync software is already installed on my laptop, but it can't find the inReach, despite it being plugged in and turned on.

Sheesh!

When I bought the InReach, it was really the only two-way messaging option available.

I just looked at the SpotX site, and it seems they've come a long way. The pricing seems better than InReach, and MUCH easier to find on their web site! Garmin tries pretty hard to hide that. The "bread crumb" tracking interval is also more flexible, down to 2.5 minutes. InReach limits to every 10 minutes.

One thing I don't see, does SpotX connect to a cell phone via Bluetooth? We use that almost exclusively with our InReach. It's nice because you have your phone's full contact list available. It's just like regular texting from the phone.

I see the SpotX has a Blackberry-like keyboard, which I suppose helps, although I never really got used to that form factor.

I still like My InReach, but with significantly lower initial and annual costs, I'd probably buy a SpotX if I were in the market today.

One can only speculate where InReach might be today if Garmin hadn't bought DeLorme!

Does Iridium Go have a text-only option? I thought it was only for voice/text devices.

Does Iridium Go have a text-only option? I thought it was only for voice/text devices.
It wasn't my boat / Iridium Go so I didn't set it up and I don't know it's full capabilities. We used it for text, email and wx. Wx was through Predict Wind.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom