Old 01-25-2012, 08:08 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

RE: ***Trawler Forum PRESS RELEASE***Please Read!

Thanks to everyone for all of the kind remarks. John and I aren't going anywhere. We will remain as Moderators. We are looking forward to seeing this site really start to blossom. Andy has some good ideas and I'm sure everyone will enjoy them!

dougd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 08:15 PM   #22
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC

Great!* Does that mean you've finally given the boot to those mods, Gonzo and Bayliner Boy?* Or do we have to continue being nice to them?

FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 08:25 PM   #23
Guru

City: Atlanta
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4550 Pilothouse

LOL Al!!! I am surprised I have not already been banned for buying that boat brand whose name shall not be mentioned!!!

Welcome to TF Andy- you will enjoy it.
Woodsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 09:33 PM   #24
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic

Al on double-secret probation.
Tom.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 01:41 AM   #25
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B

Hi Andy, welcome aboard the board, literally and figuratively. I'm one of those East Coast Aussie guys, on the rail, with the beer - well sometimes anyway. Actually don't let this on to those other Aussies, but before I became an Aussie, I was a Kiwi...shock and horror...and I actually don't like beer that much...more shock and horror...! Unless, that is, I've just done 18 holes in 37 degree heat, and I'm in the 19th...or I've just had to do a hot and tricky job down in that 'hallowed place', (not sure why we call it a hallowed place, as mine is anything but), we all call the engine room, even if calling it a 'room' is guilding the lily a bit in the case of my Clipper 34.
However, I would also like to sincerely that Doug and John for starting and maintaining this forum, as it is the best power cruiser/trawler forum in the whole wide world for sure. That is one of the most amazing things about the internet, and forums in particular, is that you can have a barney with someone over the other side of the world, and feel after a while you really know someone you have never met in person, yet the amazing thing is when you do meet - as some of us Aussie guys have, (and I'd love to meet Nomadwilly some day and have a great yarn about anchors), they are just like you imagined and you do feel you have known them for ages. It is something really special.
And yes, please oh please, like Walt (Seahorse) said don't let it go the way of Passagemaker...
Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 03:08 AM   #26
Scraping Paint

City: -

Thank you John and Doug for having the interest in boating needed to conceive and then make the effort to launch this clearing house for conversation, and for keeping it going all these years. While I know you did it on a part time basis, it still required a lot of effort to do it. Not many people have the necessary drive to start something like this and then stick with it to make sure it keeps working. It's an accomplishment you can both be very proud of, regardless of what happens in the future.

I don't know what you do for a living, Doug, but I do know what John does. And while I know you'll be continuing to participate when you have time, John, I'd just like to say thanks a lot, keep the pointy end going forward, and may you never feel the stick shaker.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 06:51 AM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for the kind words, Marin. I actually work for a medical company supporting a medical records software product. I know it sounds like I should be a computer wiz but I actually spend so much time focused on our software that I don't have the time to get to know the stuff that really makes the internet go.

As said before, John and I aren't going anywhere. We're just handing over the Captain's duties to Andy so that we can enjoy the ride on the good ship TrawlerForum!
dougd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 09:11 AM   #28

City: St. Catharines
Vessel Name: Delia Rosa
Vessel Model: C & L Sea Ranger 47 Raised Pilothouse

Thank you John and Doug for starting and keeping the forum going to this point - and Tom and Tony for also helping to keep us all in line! *I am glad to hear that you will all continue to be involved.

Welcome Andy. *As mentioned by others, we are looking forward to hearing more about you. *

We are relative newcomes to the forum, but really enjoy participating in it. *As Peter B. said, it is wonderful to be able to chat with other members all over the world and feel that we can actually get to know each other even though we have never met.
Delia Rosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 03:29 PM   #29
Doc
Guru

***Trawler Forum PRESS RELEASE***Please Read!

And I almost made guru. Story of my life.

Thanks Doug and John.

Welcome Andy

-- Edited by Doc on Thursday 26th of January 2012 04:30:05 PM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 04:14 PM   #30
Guru

City: Mooloolaba
Vessel Name: Tidahapah
Vessel Model: Bert Ellis Timber motor cruiser

Thanks John and Doug for all the past pleasure in starting a great forum after the debacle of the passagemaker forum which had previously been great.
Andy I hope you can follow in the fantastic footprints of these two terrific fellows.
We all welcome you to the Captain's chair and hope to follow down the future progress of this most informative and friendly forum.
Tidahapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 05:00 PM   #31
Guru

City: Springdale, NL
Vessel Name: Ocean Breeze
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 85OA38

Quote:
Peter B wrote:
However, I would also like to sincerely thank Doug and John for starting and maintaining this forum, as it is the best power cruiser/trawler forum in the whole wide world for sure. That is one of the most amazing things about the internet, and forums in particular, is that you can have a barney with someone over the other side of the world, and feel after a while you really know someone you have never met in person, yet the amazing thing is when you do meet - as some of us Aussie guys have, (and I'd love to meet Nomadwilly some day and have a great yarn about anchors), they are just like you imagined and you do feel you have known them for ages. It is something really special.
I totally understand Doug and John decision & welcome aboard Andy..

Tell me about running a website. I had started and ran one about 12yrs ago where we analyzed stocks on both Can & US exchanges. I had two web designers ( one in Montreal Que & one in Cambridge Ont ), 5*Analysts, ( one in Montreal who shorted, one in Peterbourgh Ont who did 3-5wk swing trades, one in Regina Sask who did Long-term trading plays, one in Vancover BC who did day-trading long & shorts and myself who did a Real Time data analysis giving real time stock analysis and probability analysis ). We had 150 paying members, with 50 doing real-time trading.

Talk about cost and not to mention anything about the burn-out and stress. It cost $10K per year for my real-time data software alone not to mention paying for the web space, the web designers, the analysts and those that did special reports. It had it's positives ( $$ ) but had it negatives ( Stess ) too.*

I joined this forum and it didn't take long to bring back memories on what a website is all about. I love the info provided here and know how to overlook the difference of opinions. My passion for boating now has exceeded the passion I had for playing the stock market so I enjoy reading and learning from people's experience here. I love the ventures and/or trips some talk about and totally enjoy the reno projects.*

There is a great group here and maybe someday I too will take my little boat from Newfoundland and head south for a visit with some of you who live in Florida and beyond. Like Peter said "feel after a while you really know someone you have never met in person, yet the amazing thing is when you do meet"

Overall I am glad I have joined TF.

Elwin*
Ocean Breeze NL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 05:23 PM   #32
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Doc wrote:

You can still do it!* Just come up with a one word post and keep sending it to TF until you hit the magic number of posts that that clicks you over from Senior Member to Guru.* I* believe Guru in this context*is a measurement of volume, not knowledge. :-)
Old 01-26-2012, 06:01 PM   #33
TF Site Team

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Model: Carver 356

Quote:
Marin wrote:Doc wrote:

You can still do it!* Just come up with a one word post and keep sending it to TF until you hit the magic number of posts that that clicks you over from Senior Member to Guru.* I* believe Guru in this context*is a measurement of volume, not knowledge. :-)

*Or you can send me a message and I can either manually set it to Guru or give you a custom name like many on here....instead of bloating the site with one word posts. *In fact, in most forums, that is severely looked down upon(posting for the sake of fluffing your numbers) and usually dealt with disciplinary action. *IOW, dont do it!

Marin, rest assured, we are very aware that you have NEVER posted a one word post!!!....

-- Edited by Baker on Thursday 26th of January 2012 07:02:55 PM
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 06:02 PM   #34
Veteran Member

My congrats to our founders - Thank you very much for starting and maintaining TF for all these years.

While my account appears new I registered on the day "flyjbaker" announced the new forum on the* T&T list.

From T&T - Bakers post - Fri Oct 5 19:39:18 EDT 2007

"Hello fellow listees,
***** A friend of mine and I started a new forum for trawlers in general.* Our main motivations were to provide a better medium for the exchange of information.* It also allows our personalities to come out a little more.* You can post pictures straight from your hard drive to the forum without having to host them on another internet website.* It is extremely simple to use which was our number one goal.* We. like many of you, have other interests(ie cars,etc) and have always been impressed with the amount of forums available for their* enthusiasts.* No such forum exists for trawlers.* Just these email lists which can be time consuming and also limited in their ability to exchange information....not to mention that they clog up your email inbox.
****** Please realize that our goal is not to try and replace this list.* Our goal is to provide a place for the trawler community to gather online in a more interactive manner.* It is in it's infancy stages and is very simple to use.* It will evolve over time. There is also a suggestion box to put your suggestions and hopefully we can incorporate them over time. Registration is a matter of going thru a couple of steps and then going thru an email confirmation.* The purpose of that is to keep the spammers out.* Anyway, I hope y'all go and check it out.
* The address is:***** trawlerforum.com
* We do hope you enjoy it!!!
* Trawler on,
* John"

My best to the new owners.* Follow Johns' original thoughts and you should do well.

Just keep Tao Jones - hopeless, clueless, CF moderator - away from the site.

Mike
Palm Coast FL

-- Edited by Mike on Thursday 26th of January 2012 07:28:08 PM
pull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 06:05 PM   #35
TF Site Team

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Model: Carver 356

Wow!!! Thanks Mike. I am getting all teary eyed over here!!!!...;-)

And what forum is "CF"???
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 06:43 PM   #36
Veteran Member

CF = cruisersforum.com - The new owners sailboat site.

I'm not a member there, and have never posted. Lot's of good info since sailboats have many of the same equipment that we powerboat owners do. I owned sailboats for over 30 years.

I check it about once or twice a month.

The problem with cruisersforum,com is that there are a lot of these kind of posts -

"Hi! I don't know anything about boats, or even sailboats, but my significant other and I are planing to sail around the world beginning next year."

Chorus from members - "Good for you, go for it."

Assisted suicide.

Prediction - Given time, Fast Fred will not be happy.

Thanks again to you both. Job well done.

Mike
pull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 06:48 PM   #37
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Baker wrote:
Marin, rest assured, we are very aware that you have NEVER posted a one word post!!!....

*Have
Old 01-26-2012, 06:49 PM   #38
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Baker wrote:

*too
Old 01-26-2012, 07:35 PM   #39
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36

I have been a Cruisers Forum member for years. I think it is a very good forum, mostly sailboaters but there are a few trawler owners on there.
If you do post there keep in mind most sailors are liberals and rabidly anti gun.
Steve W

Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 07:45 PM   #40
Guru

City: Springdale, NL
Vessel Name: Ocean Breeze
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 85OA38

You are funny Marin*:clap:

<a></a>

-- Edited by Ocean Breeze NL on Thursday 26th of January 2012 08:46:56 PM

Ocean Breeze NL is offline   Reply With Quote