Old 01-21-2010, 04:06 AM   #21
TF Site Team/Forum Founder

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Name: Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Model: Meridian 411
RE: $300K - What would you do?

And I will give you another cliche' relevant to your search....

There ain't no right price for the wrong boat!!!!!
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 06:16 AM   #22

$300K - What would you do?

"There ain't no right price for the wrong boat!!!!!"

AMEN!!!!! All offers will be contingent upon full survey, sea trial and oils analysis. I'll be posting later for recommendations of a GOOD Surveyor.

Thanks for all the opinions and advice - keep em comming.

I've looked at all the boats, except the Hat (which I do like), online and realize that may be where my compromise takes me - also the 42 Present, 44 Nova and Heritage east. Some of my concerns are based on fuel tank (and other) horror stories I've read about in Taiwanese Trawlers, and the larger engines in the MY's providing poor economy. Don't know much about the Californian - Where were they manufactured? Any known trouble area's specific to that model?

Understood re: the electronics - part of why I want to stay at 100K or less so I can have some left over for my upgrades.

FF - I get what ur saying about the size. The increased space over a 38 has a lot to do with keeping the first mate on board - She is conditioned to 5K+ square feet of luxury and has never lived aboard - although she is very willing and loves the 5-7 day trips in a 28 with just a cuddy and porta-potti, as well as a Belieze Cat Charter.

Hopefully there wont be any "Flying towards bulkheads"

I'll be in Clearwater in a month or so and plan to go through as many boats as I can while I'm there

-- Edited by Theta on Thursday 21st of January 2010 08:16:45 AM
Theta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 08:17 AM   #23
TF Site Team/Forum Founder

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Name: Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Model: Meridian 411

Californians are American made and don't have the window leaking issues that many of Asian boats do. You may be able to run economically on one engine at displacement speed on the faster boats...
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 08:33 AM   #24
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Circuit Breaker
Vessel Model: 2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin

I've written this response before on this Forum so I apologize to those who might be sick of reading it.

After buying 8 boats since 1995, I finally learned to be brutally honest with the boats realistic mission. This meant I had to admit that I'm not taking the boat to the Baja, or living aboard for months at at time, or entering all the tournaments on the Bill Fish circuit, etc. If you plan to overnight or weekend or even take a week or two cruise, then you don't need a 50-60' boat to do that. If you plan on just cruising one of America's great bays and not venture out on big water, there's certainly nothing wrong with that. The above does not require a watermaker, 1000 gallons of fuel, sonar, washer dryer, 2 heads, etc. As Eastwood said in a Dirty Harry movie, "A man's got to know his limitations." Good luck in your search!

Walt
(The boat on the bottom is our present boat)

-- Edited by SeaHorse II on Thursday 21st of January 2010 10:35:26 AM
Attached Thumbnails
composite boats.jpg  
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 04:12 PM   #25

Walt thanks for the advice and congrats on 8 successful transactions in 15 years - love your current boat. I've actually gone through 7 boats in the same period and enjoyed every last one of them (25 - 32' single engine trailer boats). This next boat will be my home for a number of years and needs to be safe and comfortable for my wife - we will not have a land based residence other than mom and sisters guest bedrooms in Florida. I will be moving the boat around to various cities on the east coast and the midwest/great lakes areas for intermittent (4-12wks) work, during which my moorage is paid for. Months in the keys and Bahamas are planned. I would also like the capability to hit the BVI's and visit friends living in Costa Rica and Belize. Possibly in a few years do the Panama Canal, Sea of Cortez then up the left coast to the inside passage - that will require a different boat. Perhaps plans will change, who knows - just like to be as prepared as possible and don't want to be in a position where I don't have "enough" boat.
Old 01-27-2010, 08:13 AM   #26
FF
Guru

She is conditioned to 5K+ square feet of luxury and has never lived aboard -

So take her on a charter on the erie canal in a steel canal boat.

No navigation, free dockage really easy days with resturants and Wi Fi where ever you stop.

Loads of museums to visit for some "culture".

All in a 40 ft boat 8 ft wide that is comfortable .

When she loves this trip and you take her on a 36 ft TT she will think its heaven,

5000 or 50,000 sq ft doesn't matter, she needs to be trained that volume and comfort are not the same..

Living standards aboard are far more controlled by lack of fear , comfort (dry, warm, and not hanging grimly on) than by a grand vista of useless volume.

Silent refrigeration and a heating plant that works 24/7 with zero electric limitations is loads more fun than a salon that echoes.

Since she will be your partner aboard , show her how easily the small boat docks , and let her do the helming , you handle the lines.

She may be less interested in 100T of volume if she is docking it.

-- Edited by FF on Wednesday 27th of January 2010 10:16:01 AM
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 11:26 AM   #27
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house

Theta, has you wife/So actually been on boats with the idea of living on on for long term?* I thought you were at $300K now you are at 100K for a boat that you can live on and coastal cruise thru Panama and up the left coast?****Even 300K is pushing it.** There ain't no right price for the wrong boat!!!!!
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 04:18 PM   #28

Quote:
Phil Fill wrote:

Theta, has you wife/So actually been on boats with the idea of living on on for long term?I thought you were at $300K now you are at 100K for a boat that you can live on and coastal cruise thru Panama and up the left coast?*Even 300K is pushing it.There ain't no right price for the wrong boat!!!!!

Phil - yes my wife has been on and around boats all her life, but only for short periods of time - 2 wks Charter was the longest. She has stated she wants to downsize, simplify and live-aboard. Yes I have 300K available but would prefer not to blow it all at once.* I'm realizing my budget and aspirations don't match unless I go with a sailboat. I'm thinking a nice stabilized 44 Defever might be a good compromise that would work for coastal and island hopping down to the BVI's and back.