Taking a Scooter into the Bahamas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Knot Tide Down
Vessel Make
41' Lindmark Questar
Has anyone taken a scooter with them aboard your vessel into the Bahamas? I'm trying to find out how to properly do this. Thanks,
Bill

This is a very interesting question of international law.

Your vessel is considered to be part of the jurisdiction where it is registered; so when you are on your boat you are residing in that jurisdiction.

under marine law you operate under the regulations of that registry, But you must also comply with the laws of the country you enter.....

.....so who's law takes precedence, the country of registration or the country where you are visiting?

Here's my little scooter onboard my cat:

When it's onboard is it in the UK jurisdiction even if I'm in Spain?
When I take onto the road is it only in Spain for that period of time, and does it return back into uk jurisdiction when I load it back onboard?

Interesting....:facepalm:

An educated guess is that you are alright with the scooter until you anchor. More likely until you try and operate the scooter off the boat.Then you become subject to the laws of the country you are visiting and that country may or may not recognize a US registration, and almost certainly (other than Canada) recognize the US insurance.

Just as a guide, nearly every country in the EU allows you to keep a foreign registered vehicle for six months in their jurisdiction . It is easy to get local insurance for your foreign registered scooter.

So there's two questions to answer: are you insured? Do you owe import tax if you keep your scooter in a country for more than 6 months?

But is your scooter actually in a jurisdiction if you have it on your boat?

The customs might put your foreign registered scooter 'into bond' like they do when you arrive with guns onboard.

I think this is unlightly because under international law all vehicles that are 'legal in their home jurisdiction' will be granted reciprocal rights in other countries for a limited period of time.

When onboard your vessel I think the scooter will be considered to be under US
Flag regulations.

I've seen US scooters and cycles putting around over there; it's just like driving your car in a foreign country; make sure insurance is properly in place! What I have seen is difficulty in getting the thing off the boat, via makeshift ramp or davit. Bicycles are a lot easier to handle and especially when transported by dinghy.

I would ask this question of the authorities in the Bahamas. Get your answer in writing and keep a copy with the scooter.

Has anyone taken a scooter with them aboard your vessel into the Bahamas? I'm trying to find out how to properly do this. Thanks,
Bill

I am a member over on www.advrider.com .There are lots of people that go in and out of different countries all over the world with US registered motorcycles and scooters.They can point you in the right direction on obtaining the correct info.Some places require a good bit to get a vehicle in and actually be legal to drive.

Bill,

If you PM me, I will give you the email address of one of our Great Harbour owners who take their scooter into the Abacos every winter. I am very sure they can tell you how to go about it properly.

ERIC

Back
Top Bottom