Old 04-28-2016, 04:05 PM   #21
Guru

City: Fort Myers
Did it MANY years ago and nice experience going in and seeing everything, fireworks were amazing with the city and all, but when it was done, OMG all hell broke loose. So my advice is not be in that area with your own boat period.

Marlinmike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 05:37 PM   #22
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlinmike View Post
Did it MANY years ago and nice experience going in and seeing everything, fireworks were amazing with the city and all, but when it was done, OMG all hell broke loose. So my advice is not be in that area with your own boat period.
We were in the far North area so we were the final group released. That was actually a very good move on our part as we watched all the others, all the commotion, all hell breaking loose and then we just followed slowly behind. There we had a few boats come through headed up the East River to LI Sound, but most boats had come from the south.

Sort of like a concert or sports even emptying out and you just decide I'm not getting in that and wait until it's cleared out. We use to find that extra 15-20 minutes sure eliminated a lot of stress. We'd just sit talking about what we'd just seen or, if sports, listening to the post game show.

I believe they're using the East River again this year. I saw mention of the Brooklyn Bridge some where.

BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 06:48 PM   #23
Dauntless Award

City: New York, NY
Vessel Name: Dauntless
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 - 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post

There are multiple areas for viewing near or on the East River. You must get into these viewing areas very early and then movement in and out stops. The deadlines are 7:30 and 8:30 but better to aim for 6:30. Then you must stay in position without anchoring...
NO ANCHORING.

I was with the USCG Aux in the summer of 2013 in NY.

If you do not have a boat that can hold station automatically for 6 hours, don't go. They have made it a very big PIA thus sucking the joy right out of it.
Find us: https://share.delorme.com/dauntless
Wxx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 08:03 PM   #24
Guru

City: Saint Augustine, Fl.
Ny is a busy big boat port. I wouldn't advise a newcomer to any anchorage for fireworks viewing. Tugs, ships and ferrys are running around 24/7 with large wakes. Police and CG boats are going to be buzzing around during the security zone times. Not for the faint of heart. One of the marinas on the Jersey side would be my choice for viewing.
Sailor of Fortune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 08:09 PM   #25
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wxx3 View Post
NO ANCHORING.

I was with the USCG Aux in the summer of 2013 in NY.

If you do not have a boat that can hold station automatically for 6 hours, don't go. They have made it a very big PIA thus sucking the joy right out of it.
Yes I said no anchoring.

That's why either a lot of operators to share the burden or a DPS. There were a couple of boats really struggling to maintain position.

BandB is online now   Reply With Quote