Old 08-19-2018, 09:22 AM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Dana Point, Ca
Vessel Name: Adventure
Vessel Model: Offshore 62
Hunduras Piracy?

Hello all,

I am planning to run my 62' Powerboat from Cozumel to Panama in April. I have been reading about the piracy off Honduras. Does anyone have any insight on this. Is it isolated or is there a significant threat?

Any input from anyone who has done this leg would be greatly appreciated in terms of fuel stops and provisioning. Was it a safe voyage, how was the weather?

Thanks in advance!
Freespool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 10:15 AM   #2

City: FT.Pierce, Fl
Vessel Name: Tuna Talk
Vessel Model: CC Tournament 30
I visit Roatan frequently for the diving and recommend this as a stop-over for rest, provisioning and enjoyment. Roatan or La Ceiba is probably the last fuel/provisioning before entering the mosquito coast area. Yes, this area is known for high drug trafficking but many boaters take this route. If you are concerned (and you should be!) maybe wait to join another boat to get you past Nicaragua.
Jim Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 01:01 PM   #3
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
There have been 2 reported incidents in 2018, were 5 in 2017 and 5 in 2016. I would recommend reading about those incidents to know what to be aware of.

https://safetyandsecuritynet.org/cat...orts/honduras/

You can now zoom, tap, know and go each area.

https://safetyandsecuritynet.org/zoo...sessment-tool/

Be aware of surroundings. Traveling with another boat is a plus, especially if you are a slow boat. The various CG's are there to assist too. And the good news is that the piracy along there hasn't been theft of boats or harming people but stealing items from on board. Inconvenience, scary, loss of property, but not threat to life.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 07:46 AM   #4

City: New Orleans
Vessel Name: Stella
Vessel Model: Seaton 56
We cruised the reverse route in the 90’s. At the time there were reports of serious altercations on the Honduran east coast. We stayed well offshore. Consider stopping at one of the Colombian islands (Providencia, San Andres). We spent a week+ anchored at Providencia. Beautiful island, excellent snorkeling/diving. Not really a detour since you need significant easting to reach Colon.
DCDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 08:15 AM   #5
Guru

City: Baltimore
Vessel Name: Sea life
Vessel Model: Krogen 42 #61
It was a problem when we went through. We went way, way offshore and didn’t stop in Vivario, Becerro, or Luna Cays because of it. There were rumors of a Colombian Navy ship patrolling, we never saw it or had radio contact when we called.

Go to Bay Islands, DO NOT go to La Ceiba. Provision at Eldons on Roatan, free shuttle from Fantasy Island Marina dock. Definitely go to Guanaja.

Providencia was great. San Andreas was OK for fuel and provisions.

Bocas del Toro was great for Provisions.

Have fun, that was the best part of our whole trip (San Blas included)

Check wife’s blog, emial me with any specific questions.

www.caribbeansealife.com
Sealife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 07:58 PM   #6
Guru

City: Baltimore
Vessel Name: Sea life
Vessel Model: Krogen 42 #61
Almost forgot! Definitely stop in Albuquerque Cays south of San Andreas.

www.caribbeansealife.com
Sealife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 06:56 PM   #7

City: Toronto,ON
Vessel Name: Acadia ll
Vessel Model: CHB
Did the trip perhaps around 2013 from Belize thru Honduras past Nicaragua via Provinciales and San Andres to Panama and beyond. Never had any trouble but stuck to the Bay Islands and did not go near the mainland of Honduras.I suggest you do the same.
Mike Lowthian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 11:48 AM   #8
Veteran Member

City: Dana Point, Ca
Vessel Name: Adventure
Vessel Model: Offshore 62
Hi everyone,

Thank you very much for the comments and suggestions. I have been reading the reports and while it's a little unnerving, it seems pretty random. I am not going until March and I will continue to monitor the reports. Anyone have any experience with what kind of weather I can expect in March?
Freespool is offline   Reply With Quote