Cruising in Sweden

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Astor

Vessel Name
Astor
Vessel Make
Grand Banks 36 classic

From the swedish west coast, cruing to Koster island whith Grand banks 36 classic 1974, "Astor".

He is going too fast most of the time.

Gee Mark, why so ornery?

Thanks for posting that video. What kind of a tidal range do you have there...looks like there would hardly be any wiggle room at all at low tide!

Last edited:
In California, the speed limit within 200 feet of a docked boat is 5 miles an hour (8 kph).

Well, how Californiacentric of you.

I just thought you might want to be a little more neighbourly to someone who's been on TF longer than you, but has 6,417 less posts.

Not very often somebody accuses a Grand Banks of going too fast ;-)

Last edited:
He is going too fast most of the time.

We are going 3.2 knots all time in the video. Camera GoPro Hero 3 vide angel. Only one motor going here.
The tide water is only 60 cm different.

We have two Volvo penta TAMD 41 engines. Max: 16 knots. Cruising: 8.5 knots. In the video very slow: 3.2 knots. No waves.

Last edited:

From the swedish west coast, cruing to Koster island whith Grand banks 36 classic 1974, "Astor".

Very nice, indeed! Beautiful area that would be nice to see more of. Please tell us more.

Hello Astor,

Very nice, thank you for sharing. Where in Sweden? I have been to Gothenburg several times.

Very nice video indeed - thanks for giving us a look at your part of the world!

Going at exactly the right speed I'd say.

But....your vessel must have a huge mass. Watching the sailboat masts bend as you go by was interesting!

Video from Norway

This trip is from Norway and Oslofjorden. Near my homeport Storsand.

In Norway the speed limit is max: 5 knots untill 150 meter from land.

Autum in Oslofjorden, Norway and "Astor" is sailing to winterport.

Hi Astor,

nice footage from Koster and Storesand!

In Norway the speed limit is max: 5 knots untill 150 meter from land.
This is not entirely correct. Speed limits on water are local regulations. One of the neighbor cities to Oslo (Oppegård) did not have a speed limit on water until this summer I believe. As they imposed their new speed limit, all cities/municipalities in the Oslo area stick to the 5kn/150m rule.

Remember what happened in summer 2005 when they imposed a federal speed limit of 5kn/50m?
The government had to withdraw that after a few days as ferries/freighters/coastal express/etc were brought to virtually standstill as many fairways along the coast are way narrower than 100m (approx. 300 foot).

Wonder why the guy in the sailboat at 4:17 was waving his hand up and down. Perhaps that's how they say hello in Sweden.

Last edited:
We all waving to boat near us. We say hello! The same in Norway and rest of Europe. Not in USA?

If you mean a go too fast, perhaps is the film. The super wide from GoPro-camera will not give us a right speed. 3.2 knots is veeeerrry slow.

If you mean a go too fast, perhaps is the film. The super wide from GoPro-camera will not give us a right speed. 3.2 knots is veeeerrry slow.

I noticed that the boat speed seemed very fast as well. I was watching the shore line and it looks like the boat was moving at a decent running pace. I don't think this was from the wide angle lens though so I wonder if the GoPro dropped some frames that leaves the impression that the boat was moving faster than it was in reality.

Good video in any case. :D

Later,
Dan

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom