Cruising North Queensland Australia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Allan, it is a one part polyurethane. It brushes on so well, I didn't bother with a roller, as most of the area was fiddley, and I am always terrified I'll step in a roller tray and spew paint all over the deck, not to mention the messy clean-up afterwards. Actually the finish could almost have been sprayed.

Benn, interested to hear re your developments, not only the engine, which I hope is not major, but also stepdaughter's being in the film business. I've read about Jucy. What is her involvement? My son, who did his degree in Music, then decided to take on one of the most challenging, and hard to break into careers on the planet I think, decided he wanted to be a screen composer. He is getting there, but sadly in the end it required his moving to London, (along with wife and our one and only grand-daughter, who turns 2 today actually), to get into the big-time, and things are picking up. Interestingly however, his current project is composing/recording the music for the next movie of the producer/directors of Samson & Delilah, an indigenous film which won a Palm D'Orr at Cannes, I think, a couple of years ago. His local claim to fame was doing the music for the Spierig brothers' 'Undead', (he missed out on their latest film, 'Daybreakers'), and also he was music director for the Gold Coast 'Great Outback Spectacular' show.

When you are repaired and back down at Mooloolaba, we must try and organise our get-together somehow.

Peter,
My daughter and her girlfriend used to work in a video shop together.
Whilst there they wrote a script.
This was then later developed by a film script writer for the movie.
Francesca Gasteen (my daughter) and Cindy are the 2 main characters in the movie.Frannie is the neice of Lisa Gasteen the opra singer.
We will catch up eventually.
I may even get to have a chat with Allamn if I stick around Tin Can Bay long enough.

Benn

Wow, that's interesting Benn. I wish I had taken more notice of the article I read about the film now. You read these things, and it stays in a recess in the brain somewhere, but you don't think it'll become relevant later, then something surprising like this pops up. I just watched the trailer on the internet - looks good - Jucy, I mean.

How is progress re the engine problem. Do you have a precise diagnosis yet? Will it cost a new part, or is it the head gasket alone?

Peter,
The engine work is going to drag on.
On opening up the cylinders it would appear that at least 2 units have scored slightly so it may be an overhaul job.
I have submitted my report , photos and claim form to the insurers to see what they make of it.
Parts for the old 8210 may be difficult or very expensive to get and if so then I may have to consider a transplant.
If so i hope I can head the way of a Gardner 6LXBand if I have to go new then a John Deere.
Any how time will tell and it looks like a fair bit of work in the west to payt the extras.

Benn

Ok, well good luck with that. Looks like we might need to change plans re the get-together. My boat is almost ready...... hmmmmmmm, watch this space....

I am now officially in Tin Can Bay for at least a few months.
Rented a small shed yesterday to store all the excess gear from the boat as I clear my way round the engine room in readiness for the upcomming work.
I may have to start a new thread soon on the possible transplant, should know this comming week.
If I go the 6LXB it will come from Mainline at Yatla.
http://www.mainlinediesel.com/

Benn

Hi Benn

That does not sound good
What do you think the problem is with the engine??
What type of engine do you have ATM??

Looks like we might catch up after all
Hope it all goes well

Allan

is ther a way that you could get those two cyclinders honed out and cleaned* up?

Yeah, I could hone the 2 cylinder bores easily enough, and it all could be done in situ.
jack the engine up , drop the sump and the crank etc. I won't gp into it all now but time will tell.
Allan, presently installed is a Fiat IVECO 8210 M, a 6 cyl 14 lt 220 HP @ 2200 RPM naturally asperiated engine.
They are getting pretty old and difficult to get parts for.
Engine room is all cleaned up, just have to remove the deck house box and cut a hole in the lid. I have a soft patch in the deckhead that we put in when we built the boat so should not be too difficult.

Benn

Benn

Where are you going to do the job??
Tin Can??

Allan

Allan,
Yeah, here in Tin Can Bay. In between going to work, Xmas, daughters movie premiers etc.
The insurance assessor should be here in a couple of days and after that I can get really serious.
Have just about stripped the engine down, just need to let the mounting bolts go .
Tomorrow i will remove a section of the steee and the saloon table so i can lift the three engine room hatches.
All that is required after that is to remove my large deckhouse box , some fiberglass and the soft patch in the wheel house top.
Enter the crane and out goes the engine.
I will then have time to either go to WA to work or clean up the engine room and do a bit of painting.
With Xmas and all I don't think things will happen too quickly but hopefully all will done about the end of Jan.
I won't be around this weekend but should be back up early next week.
Benn

"I will then have time to either go to WA to work or clean up the engine room and do a bit of painting."

Benn,
You live in Mooloolaba Australlia. How can you work in "WA". Is there a Washington down under?

Eric,
WA (Western Australia) the very big bit on the other side of the continent where thay have all the oil & gas.
Allan,
I am off tomorrow and flying to WA on Monday.
Will be back in 3 weeks.
Moving the boat over one finger in the morning so will be about accross from you.
Handy to the travel lift bay for lifting the deck box off and the engine & bed out.

Benn

Have fun in WA Benn
Let me know when you get back
Allan

Back
Top Bottom