Cruising North Queensland Australia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi guys, good to see you are still there. Or rather back, in Benn's case. Keep an eye on this thread and I'll use it to alert you both to any attempt we make, (our old CHB + others group), to get together. The general feeling is still to meet at Benn's boat if it can work out as being sort of central with Alan up Hervey Bay and Ted Goater at Noosa, and 3 of us down here in Brissie. I also have most of our email addresses, so we'll track you down, one way or another. When do you think you'll be back in Mooloolooland Benn?

Allan,
Had a drive into Tin Can this morning to get the papers and some plastics .
I didn't bring any bait or plastics away with me , only flies and it's a bit windy.
Pretty rough trip in the dinghy but not that bad.But glad the Boss didn't come.
Had a drive past your boat and all looks good.
Looks like kauri for a couple more days.
Benn

Attachments

• p1000564.jpg
    p1000564.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 275
  • p1000561.jpg
    p1000561.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 348
Peter,
Weather permitting we will be back in Mooloolaba at the end of the month. Gayle has something on early Nov so must be home.
personally I would just like to stay out.

Benn

I know what you mean. There's always something dragging you back in...I'd love to think I'd be able to just head off for days at a time in Lotus when I retire, but frankly doubt I'll be able to afford to keep her when I do. You are lucky so just enjoy.

Hi Benn

I will be on the boat hopefully next weekend

Away during the week for work then write up reports so hopefully Saturday.

Good to hear it is still floating and hopefully dinghy still on the stern

Allan

OK out of Kauri today and the long trek up to Garrys Anchorage.
Usually bypass this place as it is so crowded.
Today only 4 other boats , pissin down rain, and blowin, last night up to 40 knots.
The new anchor holding like a beauty.
Tucked in at garrys nice and quiet you wouldn't know the strong wind warning had been upgraded to gale force.
Will take a couple of snaps tomorrow.
The wind & hopefully the rain is supposed to ease by Wed.
So we may head up to Kingfisher Bay.
Sneak ashore do some washing and maybe a meal at the flash resturant at the resort.

Benn

With the wind whisteling overhead Garry's is nice and quiet.
Idyllic one might say.
had a very plesant walk up thru the coastal scrub for a couple of hours.
Mossies were a bit thick but a bit ofn Bushmans keeps them at bay.
A frien of mine is on his way down in his cat and will call in tomorrow so we will stay for a couple of days more before heading further north.
Very little rain today and a little sunshine so it is pretty good.

-- Edited by Tidahapah on Sunday 10th of October 2010 09:46:25 PM

Attachments

• p1000573.jpg
    p1000573.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 234
  • p1000570.jpg
    p1000570.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 272
  • p1000569.jpg
    p1000569.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 266
  • p1000567.jpg
    p1000567.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 281
  • p1000566.jpg
    p1000566.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 205
  • p1000580.jpg
    p1000580.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 248
You're giving me itchy feet to get out there Benn. Now if only this damned wet spell would end so I can complete the one paint job left for this season, we would be able to do so. Dammit - more rain forecast....

Well the last few days have been pretty eventful.
left Garrys and went up to Kingfisher Bay for the day/night.
next day further north to Moon Point and out for a little whale watching, still a lot of cows & calves feeding up before heading south.
Sorry no pictures too busy watching them perform but will be back up early in the week.
WWent back down and anchored up in the SW corner of Big Woody Is before the big wind change.
Up to the Susan River yesterday to wait.
Last night blew over 30 knots (just checked my gauge and it toped 38 knots)and the rain Pi***ed down,
Wind went from NE to SW during the night and is now about 18 knots from the SW.
Should abate tomorrow and we can get out again.

Benn

-- Edited by Tidahapah on Saturday 16th of October 2010 05:58:24 AM

Benn, that same strong wind blew even harder down at our marina, and ripped my bimini to shreds, so there went my chance of a new photo/pic/avatar thingy showing off her new paint etc. Oh well, one day....now to call the insurance company and the canvas guy.

Gee Wiz that's no good Peter there is always something
You must have had some wind down there
I am going down to the boat tomorrow as I have a few days off
I am taking a mate out (the one who helped me bring the boat up) as the deckie has a damaged wing and she would not be able to do the hard work.
Going to Gary's Anchorage I think.
Don't know if I will run into Benn. Might be able to catch up on the radio

Allan

Peter Allan,
Well after all the drama we got away from the Susan River and anchored up down the SE corner of Big Woody.
Spent a lovely night there and then ventured up into the Bay once more to view a few whales.
They were pretty quiet yesterday so back into Coongal Point for the night.
What a change in the weather but it is surprisingly chilly (for us any way)
Had a fish along the shore yesterday arvo a got a nice 750 mm lizard.
Very quiet night at anchor so will venture out to the whales again today and then anchor up further up the coast of Fraser.

Presently 1/2 way up towards Rooneys.
have spent the last couple of days whale watching.
Still plenty of the girls and calves around.
Sighted about 20 odd today with a few close encounters.
After all that crap weather it is now looking pretty good.
Allan, I usually keep Chn 67 and 80 on watch whilst I am up in this neck of the woods

Attachments

• p1000590.jpg
    p1000590.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 283
  • p1000587.jpg
    p1000587.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 334
  • p1000591.jpg
    p1000591.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 362
Nice pics Benn. You're making me envious. That was a pretty good sized flathead too, did it taste as good as it looks?
Allan, was your boat ok when you checked it? We had 50 kn wind last Friday night hence my bimini disaster. I guess it was a bit past its best but would have lasted quite a bit longer otherwise.

Hi Peter

Bimini is good we are fairly sheltered at TCB marina
We are now at Gary's anchorage and weather beautiful

Allan

Allan,
How long you at Garry's .
I am up at Wathumba tonight and will probably start to head south tomorrow.
probably down to Moon tomorrow for a couple of days.
Will then start to come down the Straights looking for a window to cross the bar and head home.

Peter hope you have a good canvas man down the coast.
I have a beaut bloke up in Mooloolaba who works from home so low overheads.
Just redid the setee and pilot chair in the wheelhouse in a nice blue leather for a very reasonable price.

Benn

Benn

We will be at Gary's until Friday or Saturday at the latest

Allan

Allan,
Am presently at Moon Point .
Will be here for a couple of days and then head south.
A mate of mine is heading north he has an Alaskan RPH 48.
X yachtie nice boat crossing the bar tomoprrow night and heading north after thatb , you may see him.
If I get south before you depart will give a hoy.
Benn

Hi Benn
I am back in the marina as the deckie had to get home
I'll head home tomorrow
Will catch up another day

Allan

Allan,
down at Kingfisher bay.
Looks like I may stay here a couple of days.
A few longtail Tuna smashing about so may have to present a fly or two see if I can get a take..
Benn

-- Edited by Tidahapah on Friday 22nd of October 2010 04:30:25 AM

That's right Benn, twist the knife....

Afterv an eventfull 48 hrs (best told in person) I am now tied up on the end of Green/white finger at Tin Can Bay Marina.
Just down from Allans boat.
I will probably be here for a couple of days until I sort out a minor main engine problem.

Benn

Hi Benn
Hope there are not too many problems with your donk
If you are looking for something to keep you busy, my superstructure needs sanding and painting
smile.gif

Let me know if there is anything I can do to help you out

Allan

AllanY wrote:

Hi Benn
Hope there are not too many problems with your donk
If you are looking for something to keep you busy, my superstructure needs sanding and painting
smile.gif

Let me know if there is anything I can do to help you out

Allan
Heh, Heh, having just done the above, and fully aware of what is involved, I think I can guess what the answer might be.....

Hi Peter

How did you paint the superstructure??
What paint did you use??
Were your window frames always white ??
Questions, questions

Allan

Allan,Peter,
Looks like I will be here for a while.
Have a hole in my exhaust manifold into the cooling water.
Got it off this morning and have now sent it to the local diesel mechanic to test and see if the leak is repairable otherwise I will have to source a new manifold out of Brisbane.
The weather is pretty good , too good to be tied up but thats how it goes.
Catch you all later.
Allan if you are down this way give me a call and no I have not got time to do that sanding and painting but I will sit and watch you and have a beer and a chat.

Benn

-- Edited by Tidahapah on Monday 25th of October 2010 11:10:10 PM

Allan, the existing paint on the topsides and cabin was in quite good shape anyway, so a light sand then International Prekote on any sus areas, then International Toplac brushed on over the lot. (I have found Brightside useless in my experience, and they now apparently admit it does not cope well with moisture - how's that for a boat paint? Surprising in view of International's normally good product reputation). The window frames were done similarly, as the PO had had all all the exterior teak painted previously, but done properly, sanded right back, sealed, undercoated, and then two packed, by the same yard which did the cabin repairs and removed the old teak decks, and replaced them with fibreglass non-skid.

Sorry to hear about the motor manifold issue Benn.* Hope it turns out not too tricky or expensive.* Keep us posted.

-- Edited by Peter B on Tuesday 26th of October 2010 06:19:40 AM

Benn:

Of course I have no way of knowing how big the "hole" is but have you considered "JB Weld?"* I have used it over the years for exhaust problems such as you have described with terrific success. Its operating temps go to 600 degrees and you can mill, tap, grind, etc the finished product. I keep a tube on my boat all the time. Just used it last week for a small repair job.* J-B Weld Company - Uses for J-B Weld Products

-- Edited by SeaHorse II on Tuesday 26th of October 2010 08:47:10 AM

Attachments

• jb weld.jpg
    jb weld.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 158
"Allan if you are down this way give me a call and no I have not got time to do that sanding and painting but I will sit and watch you and have a beer and a chat."

Gee Benn

Your no fun!!!

How did you go with the manifold??
Can you repair it or do you need to get a new one??
Always something with boats
Hope you get it all sorted before the next round of S@#t weather comes in

Peter
Thanks for that info i'll chase up that paint.
I take it that Toplac is a single pack epoxy??
Did you roll and tip or just brush??
How did it come out??

Allan

-- Edited by AllanY on Wednesday 27th of October 2010 05:44:38 AM

Well the news is getting better.
The manifold is AOK.
Took it off and sent it down to cairncross Radiator Works for testing.
Once I had sent it away I realised it would be OK as I stood back and had a rethink.
The pressure build up in the cooler was to high to be the exhaust manifold it would have to be a head gasket or a head with direct cylinder pressure to lift the radiator cap which is set at 14 psi.
Any how will now remove the in jectors and see if that will tell me which head it is or I may have to lift both heads.
The replacement exhaust manifold if I had to go that way was $3500.00 out of Italy on a 10/12 week delivery.
I hope it is a gasket otherwise if a head is not repairable it will be the same story.

I actually thought it may come to an engine change out if it got too expensive and I found that a factory rebuild gardner 6LXB is actually cheaper now than it was when I was building the boat in 94. $27000.00 ( 30K back then) from the same guy.

Allan I will be here for at least another week, by the time I get thinks sorted out and I also have to go back to brisvagas for the opening nite of my step daughters film at the Brisbane film festival on the 5 th.

They have just come back from having it shown at the Toronto film festival , exciting times.
Jucy the movie a Womance also comming to the Gold Coast Film festival soon.

Benn

Hi Benn

Well that is good news I think
Hopefully it is not as bad as you think.

I don't know if I will get down this week as I have Toowoomba, Noosa and Brissy to visit over the next week
Too much when you are supposed to be retired :(

If you are still there the following week we might be able to catch up
Hope all goes well

Allan

Back
Top Bottom