To which country to retire - revised version

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think you are correct. I should just stick to places, where they speak English. I only know little bit of Spanish.

I plan to live there permanently, where ever it is. It will be either the USA, or another country. I have not decided, yet. I have few years to decide.
Thanks.

I wouldn't strike south Florida off of the list just because of the language barrier! :D

I think the USA is a pretty good place to retire if you are a boater. Personally I could be quite happy in SW FL during the winter, somewhere in the Great Lakes during the summer, and moving in between for part of the Fall and Spring.

Ted

I think the USA is a pretty good place to retire if you are a boater. Personally I could be quite happy in SW FL during the winter, somewhere in the Great Lakes during the summer, and moving in between for part of the Fall and Spring.

Ted

This is a great plan, except I want to do the opposite. For decades I hated S FL winters, due to the uptick in traffic, lines at restaurants, nearshore boating is spotty, and offshore boating is very unreliable. So, it's opposite for me.

This is a great plan, except I want to do the opposite. For decades I hated S FL winters, due to the uptick in traffic, lines at restaurants, nearshore boating is spotty, and offshore boating is very unreliable. So, it's opposite for me.
In that case you should probably rent at least one place. Off season rentals are usually a steal.

Ted

Back in the 70 and 80s I spent lots of time doing business in Venezuela. Things were going very well there. Lots of beautiful beaches, good residential areas, and great living conditions in general. It was high on my list as a retirement place. Take a look at it now!

Back in the 70 and 80s I spent lots of time doing business in Venezuela. Things were going very well there. Lots of beautiful beaches, good residential areas, and great living conditions in general. It was high on my list as a retirement place. Take a look at it now!

Excellent point of how places can change and not just countries, but parts of countries including the US. Look at areas of Hawaii now. Puerto Rico and US Virgin Islands.

If I was going to uproot myself to a new retirement location, I think I'd want to maintain my mobility and option to change at any time. I wouldn't want to lock myself in.

Excellent point of how places can change and not just countries, but parts of countries including the US. Look at areas of Hawaii now. Puerto Rico and US Virgin Islands.

If I was going to uproot myself to a new retirement location, I think I'd want to maintain my mobility and option to change at any time. I wouldn't want to lock myself in.

I agree. We were pretty serious about buying a condo in Nosara Costa Rica about 5 years ago. It was a destination for us for 10 years. We had friends living there, I loved to surf, and we enjoyed the friendly people, our kids enjoyed it. Then our friends decided moved back to the US, our kids got older and less interested, and my surfing interest started to wane as I got older and more injury-prone. We haven’t been back in years. Buying vacation or retirement property locks you into that location.

I like the more mobile boat idea better.

I agree. We were pretty serious about buying a condo in Nosara Costa Rica about 5 years ago. It was a destination for us for 10 years. We had friends living there, I loved to surf, and we enjoyed the friendly people, our kids enjoyed it. Then our friends decided moved back to the US, our kids got older and less interested, and my surfing interest started to wane as I got older and more injury-prone. We haven’t been back in years. Buying vacation or retirement property locks you into that location.

My brother used to go to Nosara once or twice a year for surfing. We went down with him and some of his surfing buddies about 8 years ago and we rented a house at Playa Guiones. At the time, we had to take a dirt road quite a ways and I remember driving over concrete bridges that had holes all the way through as big as basketballs. There was one gas station about 5 miles or so out of town. But there is a big ex-pat community there and deep sea fishing was really good. The beaches are super dog friendly. My bro and another dude ended up with a food or sea parasite and had a rough time coming home. Was an exciting visit but never cared to go back. I did see the real estate guy we dealt with on 2-3 HGTV episodes.

Buying vacation or retirement property locks you into that location.

But renting does not.
Renting out our average home in Australia will pay for a stunning secure 2 or 3 bedroom pool villa in other parts of the world with cash left over.

When the karaoke bar, new highrise etc gets built next door easy to move to a better location

In the near future, the boat will do.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom