In the yard

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marin

Guru
Hauled out for the yard to do a bottom paint job, repack the shafts and do a couple other jobs.. Today my wife and I repainted the boot stripe. We get so used to seeing the boat in the water it's always a little strange to see how much of it's under the water.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1439692705.193927.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1439692705.193927.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 120
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:
Yeah, clean props look good for about the first .25 miles of cruising. Then they're back to looking like normal, used props should look. I suspect Marin's boat is no dock queen.

The bottom paint looks good. That red stripe really sets it off. Nice choices of colors.

Black bottom with a red boot stripe was the stock color combo for GBs for the first bunch of years (also for US Navy launches, captain's gigs, etc for many years).

The bootstripe used to be twice as wide on our boat but we had the yard raise the bottom paint this time around so that made the stripe thinner than stock. We like it better this way, actually.

We don't have the props polished for looks, we have them polished to get them as smooth as possible. According to the dive service we use they apparently stay this way for quite awhile albeit not quite so shiny.

Last edited:
So, no need for Propspeed?

So, no need for Propspeed?

No. We've never put anything on our props. The yard will do whatever one wants-- Propspeed, the spray-on zinc stuff, etc.-- but the yard owner told us years ago that what he's observed is that if one hauls every two to three years, as we do, no matter what is put on the props they end up coming out with barnacles and stuff on them just like the props that have nothing on them. The yard has observed that prop treatments are good for about a year after which they offer no significant benefit. The dive service that works our harbor says the same thing.

We use our boat regularly and if we go for four weeks without actually going out we run the engines in gear at about 1300-1400 rpm for 30 minutes once they get up to temperature. This keeps the props pretty clean.

This summer has been a bad one for barnacles as there has been almost no cloud cover. Everybody's boat is getting lots of barnacles on the running gear and rudders including, the yard owner said, boats on which they did prop treatments two years ago. His advice regarding prop treatments is save your money unless the boat just sits and is rarely used.

Marin,
Love your first picture w that proud bow and deep forefoot.

Except for this last launch I've been using ArmorAll and never had a barnacle but most all that time has been in Alaska. Have the flat grey RustOleium on the prop now. When do you launch?

When do you launch?

Today my wife and I compounded and then waxed the hull. Another reason we don't want a boat in this region one inch longer than this one.:)

Boat is scheduled to launch tomorrow morning. We'll take it to the slip and then head home as I've got to go to work.

Last edited:
Marin Thanks for sharing

This morning's launch before driving home and going to work. Associated, the company that trucked our PNW boat up from CA, brought another CA boat into the yard. I think the sailboat is a Fisher (sp?) but I'm not sure.

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1439835821.621265.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1439835841.995939.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1439835861.684178.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1439835888.780941.jpg

The appearance and colours look like the 46' Fisher "Meretunes".
Was for sale in your area, PNW.
Last seen as an estate sale on E-bay.

Ted

That Fisher has been on the hard for a long time.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom