Old 06-07-2012, 02:52 PM   #1
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Willy goes South

I was going to post this on Voyaging but Marin suggested here so ...
Had a long (8 hr) run to Ketchikan bucking tides (much 4.5knot running). Gotour errands done ... Eating out ect and made it to Foggy Bay. Shared the little inner cove w a big white boat and crossed Dixoin yesterday. Had some rough going and much smooth water including glassy oily seas.
Had/have an issue w a bad smell in out hot water. It's not of much use. I've determined it's not from engine coolant but related to the RV AF I put in for the winter. I used LOTS and it may have loosened up bottom sediment from the old tank .... One of the few things on Willy that didn't get attention during the refit 6 hrs ago.
Going to the west coast of Porcher Is and Pitt Is next. Then Estavan Sound ect until we get to Fjordland and then to Shearwater where I may check in next.
Ate in Smiles Cafe this morning .. Established in 1937. Many pics of the old days on the wall. All the sizable fish boats in the pics had Navy anchors and ALL had rounded sterns. Most all the pics of boats underway were obviously light in the stern.
Anchored in Very Inlet by Foggy Bay. Was next to another boat so used a conventional anchor ..... Claw.
Later
Eric

Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 07:23 PM   #2
Scraping Paint

City: -
Thanks for the report Eric. We used to put a tiny amount of the "pink stuff" RV anti-freeze in our boat's water system over the coldest part of the winter. Even with multiple flashings of the tanks and entire water system in the spring the taste and smell would remain during a summer of weekly boat use.

As freezing is not really a problem down here we discontinued the practice after a few years and there are no more smell and taste issues. We keep a small pillbox heater in the lazarette during the winter that we turn on if it looks like there will be several 24 hour periods of below freezing temperatures in Bellingham, which happens perhaps once a year or so. Our water tanks are in the lazarette.

Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 08:34 PM   #3
Guru

City: Sidney BC
Vessel Name: Rochepoint
Vessel Model: 1985 Cheer Men PT38 Sedan
Eric
Looking forward to the reports of your trip, keep us posted!
Thanks.
"Yes, I have the right anchor"
rochepoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 09:18 PM   #4
Guru

City: Missourah
Vessel Name: M/V Scout
Vessel Model: Sundowner Tug 30'
Go Willy Go! Hang on tight and enjoy the ride!

Deliveries & Yacht Services
www.captainchip.com
Anode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 08:29 AM   #5
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Go...you good thing...and best of luck...
Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 03:02 PM   #6
OFB
Guru

City: Richmond bc
Vessel Name: Invader no1
Vessel Model: Kishi Boat works
Thanks for the read Eric. Look foward to more, along with some pics of the trip.
OFB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 10:30 PM   #7
Guru

City: Holladay, UT
Vessel Name: Dream Catcher
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37-065
Hi Eric,

Looks like you'll be headed south from PR just before I get up there by road. I'm about 2 days south from PR. If you are stuck there a little longer for some reason, I could look for you - at Rushbrook?
"Cruising in a Big Way"
RCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 08:24 AM   #8
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
I was going to post this on Voyaging but Marin suggested here so ...
Had a long (8 hr) run to Ketchikan bucking tides (much 4.5knot running). Gotour errands done ... Eating out ect and made it to Foggy Bay. Shared the little inner cove w a big white boat and crossed Dixoin yesterday. Had some rough going and much smooth water including glassy oily seas.
Had/have an issue w a bad smell in out hot water. It's not of much use. I've determined it's not from engine coolant but related to the RV AF I put in for the winter. I used LOTS and it may have loosened up bottom sediment from the old tank .... One of the few things on Willy that didn't get attention during the refit 6 hrs ago.
Going to the west coast of Porcher Is and Pitt Is next. Then Estavan Sound ect until we get to Fjordland and then to Shearwater where I may check in next.
Ate in Smiles Cafe this morning .. Established in 1937. Many pics of the old days on the wall. All the sizable fish boats in the pics had Navy anchors and ALL had rounded sterns. Most all the pics of boats underway were obviously light in the stern.
Anchored in Very Inlet by Foggy Bay. Was next to another boat so used a conventional anchor ..... Claw.
Later
Eric
Hope I'm not insulting your intelligence/experience...but does it have a tad rotten egg smell?

Depending on the manufacturer/model of the water heater...some when the anode rod goes bad...your water smell like that for quite awhile...

Maybe a combo smell with all the pink?

Have a great trip...enjoyed the inside passage every time I did it! Unfortunately never on a rec boat to make it ALL fun...
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 08:03 PM   #9
Veteran Member

City: Prince Rupert,BC
Vessel Name: Salty Bear
Vessel Model: Ta Yang Pilothouse Trawler
Prince Rupert

Hey Eric, thanks for stopping into Rupert. it was great to meet you and Chris. We enjoyed the time together. Wishing you safe travels on the rest of your journey. Keep us posted when you get an opportunity or a connection. We can hardly wait to bring the Salty Bear south to meet up with you.

Cheers your friends Kevin and Melanie
Salty Bear II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 11:37 PM   #10
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Perhaps one day Willy will make it to the San Francisco estuary, spending a year exploring there, and then perhaps further south to LA/Santa Barbara and the Channel Islands.

Strait of Juan de Fuca, end of May 2012:

Old 06-11-2012, 10:51 AM   #11
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
I wished Eric bon voyage from Thorne Bay. Willy barely left a ripple with that lovely canoe stern.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 01:08 PM   #12
Guru

I was look'in at you too Tom. Got a picture of your DF at the Thorne Bay float as we departed. Was quietly say'in good by to TB too. Wish we'd left a little later though ... But weather is always the luck of the draw.
Ops"...... Looks like I've started a dupe thread .. Sorry.
The rain has stopped here in Echo Cove and we're about to head out for points south.
RC, sorry we missed you. Look up Salty Bear. Perhaps we can connect some time in Washington.
Paneled, No it dosn't smell like eggs. Completely different smell. I think I'll just replace the tank when we get home. The holding Tank is right on top of the hot water tank and I'm going to be working on that too ... So I'll prolly do the two bird thing. Sorry about your name .... The I-pad won't let me spell it any other way.
Old 06-24-2012, 10:53 AM   #13
Guru

We were headed for Plumper Bay to wait For slack water in Seymour Narrows And saw a blurb about Brown's Bat on the west side of the channel. Checked it out and found it a very nice marina we did't even know about. Reasonable rates too but probably anything would seem reasonable after where we've been. We're waiting for the restaurant here to open at 8 so we can have breakfast and go through the narrows at 9.
Our Wabasto heater finally quit altogether so in addition to having no hot water we now have no heat. Well we do have the small bus heater while we're underway. The engine hasn't dropped off on us again but I still think it's not running the way it should. Could be all in my head though.
Most of you go down to the sea in greater comfort than what Willy offers and what we're doing frequently seems more like camping than boating. I had some nice flashbacks of life in the cabin on Camano Is when I was about 8 .... Probably about the time when dirt was forming. I remember the chill morning air in my sleeping bag while Morris Garmin (my grandmother's boyfriend) built the fire in the fireplace and the stove. Very soon us kids and women got up for breakfast. Oatmeal and the usual other things cooked on the wood stove. We usually worked a bit in the morning chopping wood and pulling on the misery whip (cross cut saw). I remember the sound of the saw and the wonderful smell of Cedar. Morris and I worked well together on the saw. Perhaps I was 10 instead of 8.
It's a beautiful morning afloat and we're looking fwd to a good days run ...... Not too long and a nice evening.
Old 06-26-2012, 02:55 PM   #14
Guru

Engine finally quit. We went to Comox and spent the night. We set out for Nanimo at 0600. Got several miles south of Denman Is and she slowly quit. It slowed way down before but this time it just stopped. Dam. With great difficulty I managed to install the extra fuel pump. I lowered an anchor first from the bow and then from the stern and we still rolled in the troughs. Sweating like a pig I did all I could do and hailed another boat and the VERY nice couple towed us all the way back to Comox. We gave them money and took them out to dinner. A very nice dinner at that. They tried to give the money back several times but I prevailed and I can only hope it was an appropriate amount. Very nice people.
Now we're waiting for the mechanics to call. I'm quite sure the high pressure pump will need to come out and go to the shop but I've had other thoughts that didn't come to pass so I'll report later what evolved.
This is a very good place to wait for services. Comox is about as differen't from Thorne Bay as one could imagine. Everything is super clean, tidy and has the character of a proper English towne. Ate oatmeal on the boat and found a nice quiet bakery for coffee and stuff and read our books for awhile. This part of engine failure I can live w nicely.
Old 06-26-2012, 03:59 PM   #15
Guru

City: Whittier AK
Vessel Name: Apache II
Vessel Model: 1974 Donald Jones
Eric, I feel you pain brother. Hope you get her running again.

SD
Old 06-26-2012, 04:02 PM   #16
Guru

City: Sidney BC
Vessel Name: Rochepoint
Vessel Model: 1985 Cheer Men PT38 Sedan
Sorry to hear of your difficulties, but it is good to hear everyone is ok. One great thing about boaters is that most will lend a hand when needed. Comox is a great place, we stayed there for 4 days waiting for the weather to cooperate.
Maybe we will get a chance to see you around Sidney. Good luck!
"Yes, I have the right anchor"
rochepoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 04:10 PM   #17
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Eric. We're fortunate our recent breakdowns have been under benign conditions.
Old 06-26-2012, 07:48 PM   #18
Guru

City: Upstate,SC
Vessel Name: The Caroliner
Vessel Model: Plans to build 30' Spira Sitka
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
Engine finally quit. We went to Comox and spent the night. We set out for Nanimo at 0600. Got several miles south of Denman Is and she slowly quit. It slowed way down before but this time it just stopped. Dam. With great difficulty I managed to install the extra fuel pump. I lowered an anchor first from the bow and then from the stern and we still rolled in the troughs. Sweating like a pig I did all I could do and hailed another boat and the VERY nice couple towed us all the way back to Comox. We gave them money and took them out to dinner. A very nice dinner at that. They tried to give the money back several times but I prevailed and I can only hope it was an appropriate amount. Very nice people.
Now we're waiting for the mechanics to call. I'm quite sure the high pressure pump will need to come out and go to the shop but I've had other thoughts that didn't come to pass so I'll report later what evolved.
This is a very good place to wait for services. Comox is about as differen't from Thorne Bay as one could imagine. Everything is super clean, tidy and has the character of a proper English towne. Ate oatmeal on the boat and found a nice quiet bakery for coffee and stuff and read our books for awhile. This part of engine failure I can live w nicely.
Just a thought.I'm not as familiar with marinised diesels as I am I/C diesels.If you suspect the injection pump,I would get a compression test done,and have the fuel injectors pop tested,cleaned,and balanced.The injectors being balanced will smooth up the engine some and possible provide a little more economy.A pop test,checks the pressure where the injector POPs open to spray fuel into the cylinder.Balancing the injectors insures that they all fire at the same pressure,which also affects the injector timing.When all the injectors fire at close to the same pressure,the engine will run noticeably better.This will also help eliminate the possibility of fuel dribble and washing down a cylinder causing damage.

ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 08:49 PM   #19

City: Pacific Northwest
Vessel Name: Jacari Maru
Vessel Model: 2014 Ranger Tug R-27
Eric,

A breakdown is never fun, but Comox is not a bad place to wait. We are still at Shawl Bay, got 12 boats in today. Getting to be summer.
Old 06-26-2012, 10:39 PM   #20
Guru

Thanks all. I can feel you guys are relating to our situation. I feel better than I should about this in that I'm quite sure when I get this thing fixed it will be a far better running engine than it has for a long time. .... possibly since we took delivery of it. From an old transfer pump I think dirt got into the high pressure pump when the yard was installing it and has effected how it has run since.
Ben2go,
I think that's very meaningful stuff and I understand some of it and will talk to the mechanic about it tomorrow. Right now I just need to get it running dependably so we can get home but perhaps much can be done here. I'll spendwhateverittakes to get it to run as good as it can. I did'nt realize there was so much that can affect how a diesel runs. I wouldn't be surprised if there are others reading your words and planing work for their engines too. So thanks very much Ben2go for the heads up information. I plan to use it well.