Old 06-27-2012, 01:22 PM   #21
Guru

City: Upstate,SC
Vessel Name: The Caroliner
Vessel Model: Plans to build 30' Spira Sitka
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
Ben2go,
I think that's very meaningful stuff and I understand some of it and will talk to the mechanic about it tomorrow. Right now I just need to get it running dependably so we can get home but perhaps much can be done here. I'll spendwhateverittakes to get it to run as good as it can. I did'nt realize there was so much that can affect how a diesel runs. I wouldn't be surprised if there are others reading your words and planing work for their engines too. So thanks very much Ben2go for the heads up information. I plan to use it well.

You're welcome.There are quite a few things that make diesels run less than optimal.Usually a good diesel mechanic can catch the problem and keep cost down.

ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 07:33 PM   #22
Guru

City: Sidney BC
Vessel Name: Rochepoint
Vessel Model: 1985 Cheer Men PT38 Sedan
Eric
Where are you and how are things going? Hope everything is fine, looking forward to your next post....

"Yes, I have the right anchor"
rochepoint is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 06:05 PM   #23
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Hi Mike and all,
Still at Comox. Mechanics got the HP fuel pump back and it does not work. Fuel to the pump but nothing comes out. Despite that I think they'll figure it out.
Ben2go,
When I get home I'm planing on doing a s Sri us tune up per your info in your last post. That's stuff I need to know. THanks again.
Nomad Willy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 12:53 PM   #24
Guru

City: Upstate,SC
Vessel Name: The Caroliner
Vessel Model: Plans to build 30' Spira Sitka
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
Hi Mike and all,
Still at Comox. Mechanics got the HP fuel pump back and it does not work. Fuel to the pump but nothing comes out. Despite that I think they'll figure it out. Did the injection pump to injector lines get primed properly?If you have fuel going into the injection pump and no fuel at the injectors,then there is an air lock inside the injection pump, or something is worn so bad that the injection pump can't supply enough pressure to fire the injector(s).
Ben2go,
When I get home I'm planing on doing a s Sri us tune up per your info in your last post. That's stuff I need to know. THanks again.
You're welcome.

ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 02:29 PM   #25
Scraping Paint

City: -
To reinforce Ben's point, the issue of bleeding the individual injector lines has come up from time to time on the GB Owners forum with certain types of engines. We've never had to do it with the FL120s but there are some engines that apparently require the injectors be bled as well as the filters and injection pump.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 11:55 AM   #26
Guru

Eric did a dumb thing. When the eng quit I was in a bit of a panic to get it going before the seas got any worse so when I changed out the electric fuel pump I disconnected the FI shut down solenoid while rewiring the pump. Murphy seems to always know where I am. We figured this out when we discovered the selector rod wasn't going back and forth.
Ever hear of a FT vent plugging? I think I recall a thread on that. I'm about to drill 3/32" holes in the tank plugs (on top). I'll check on the thread. Was rough enough so even our fresh water from the water tanks was brown and w crud floating around inside. Got a very brown load of water at Shearwater. Bit by bit the boat is becoming disfunctional. We're both ready to get home. At this point I can see an OB on the stern of Willy in the future.
Ben I can't bleed two of the outlets on top of the FI pump as I don't have a box ended wrench w the slot on the end to go around the HP fuel pipes/tubes. I'll probably do some more bleeding shortly. I now have a 12mm wrench for the single (main) bleed vent for the HP pump.
Don't know where I'll get Wi-fi next. But I'll check in there/then.
Old 07-02-2012, 02:28 PM   #27
Guru

OK I've talked to the Klassen mechanic and he says my idea about a plugged vent isn't far fetched at all. Could'nt find any thread on that. So I drilled 7/32" holes in the tank plugs and debuted them. Then I bled the fuel system per the mechanics instructions. I also opened all the manifold valves also per phone conversation. I'll get more fuel too. Should make it closser to a gravity feed system.
I think the rough water will be over ... most likely for the rest of the trip. Missed the morning tide so we'll pull out about 1445 for the narrows and go to Ladysmith for probably a good anchorage. Prolly won't go to town. Seems like it's been a long time since we've anchored but I'll prolly be able to find an anchor.
Later ..........
Old 07-02-2012, 02:42 PM   #28
Scraping Paint

If you get this before you leave there is also nice protected anchoring water at Telegraph Harbor on Thetis and in Genoa Bay off the bottom of the Samsun Narrows.
Old 07-02-2012, 03:17 PM   #29
Guru

City: Sidney BC
Vessel Name: Rochepoint
Vessel Model: 1985 Cheer Men PT38 Sedan
What did I miss, I thought you were still in Comox, how was the trip to Nanaimo? Lots of great places south of Dodds Narrows. Chemanius, Thetis Harbour, Clam Bay, Wallace Island, Maple Bay and Genoa Bay are some of our favorites. Enjoy!
"Yes, I have the right anchor"
rochepoint is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 08:30 PM   #30
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Eric, (when you finally get this), really sorry to hear of the mechanical woes. It is unsettling enough when that sort of stuff happens on a day trip, but when you are seriously trying to get from someplace to another over quite a distance I can imagine the angst. Hang in there buddy, and don't try to do it all yourself. See if you can get an expert to get her going good. Then you will be able to enjoy the rest of the trip.
Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 01:29 PM   #31
Guru

Peter an All,
We're at Port Browning and will stay another night to avoid some of the 4th circus. Friday Harbor is crazy enough during any week day.
Everybody here at PB seems to have a dog. It's nuts. One guy had 3 dogs on 3 leashes. Another was shaving in the washroom and there was his dog at his feet. What makes people think normal people would want to bathe in the same space/room with someone else's animal? Other than that this is a very nice spot and could see coming back.
Engine seems to get slightly better every day but still a bit I'll I think. WOT rpm is now up to 2850. Only 50 rpm down from what I think is normal w this prop. I worry about it very little now and plan no more effort to make it better till we get to LaConner.
A problem I forsee in the future is heat in the cabin. Never been a problem in Alaska.
It's odd the cruising guide Wagoneer didn't mention the head of the bay at Ladysmith. Great anchorage. Seems they are only interested in commercial. Not in the best interest of the boater. Our book is a 2004 issue though. But the head of the bay was prolly there then.
Old 07-04-2012, 07:08 PM   #32
Scraping Paint

Port Browning has new owners and I've heard they have made a lot of improvements. The one time we were there was about three years ago on our way beck from Desolation Sound. The place was for sale then, and even though the food in the restaurant was very good the docks and and other facilities were starting to deteriorate pretty fast. In fact the finger float we were on was secured to the main dock by a pair of stout ropes--- the big angle fittings had rusted apart.

Dogs on boats is a way of life down here, Eric. You'll have to get used to it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	08.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	11854  
Old 07-07-2012, 05:35 PM   #33
Guru

WE HAVE FINISHED THE TRIP SOUTH
Last night we stayed in our own bed in Concrete and night before last at LaConner in our new slip on the boat. Wow these slips and fairways are small. There's less that 2' between our boat and the one next to us. In Canada there's even less space. I would'nt even have a boat at Comox. Nice place other than that.
The engine ran fine/OK for the rest of the trip. Still modulates a bit at about 2700 and is down 50rpm from max w this new prop.
We went through customs at Friday Harbor and not much lunch type moorage so we went on. I think I'll limit my time in Friday Hbr to the winter. Met Rob and Anne Hays in the West end of Upright Channel. I then decided if the tides wer'nt too strong we may be able to go all the way to LaConner ... and we did. I went to bed early. I think my physical condition is still not at WOT since the ordeal in Georgia Strait. It's not often I feel this way but I'm actually glad to be off the boat. 33 days in semi-camping conditions is too much for me to smile every day all day or wish for more. Anyway we're glad to be here and enjoying the sunshine.
Marin, they raised the standards at Port Browning and raised the moorage too. We paid $1.25 a foot and passed at $8 for electrons. A great anchorage though and there were about 3 times as many boats anchored as in transit in the marina and it's for sale again ... prolly w the same signs posted.
Old 07-07-2012, 06:49 PM   #34
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Congratulations on completing your journey and welcome back to the concrete. Enjoyed following your progress.
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 07:01 PM   #35
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Thanks for letting us tag along, Eric. Glad you and Chris are safely home.
http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 03:56 AM   #36
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Yes, well done Eric. I can understand you are glad to get your feet back on the hard. Give it a few days and you'll wanna be back on her though I bet. After all, she got you there. Like the little engine that could. She looked after you and kept you warm and dry, well dry, anyway...I gather things got a bit chilly at times. Soon you'll worry whether she is ok, and you'll just have to check things out. Then you'll want to fix/sort out/re-arrrange all the little things which came to light on the trip which could have worked better. That's boating...
Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 09:45 AM   #37
Guru

City: Springdale, NL
Vessel Name: Ocean Breeze
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 85OA38
I too have been following you in the background. What an experience & also glad you made it. You know what I found the most interesting was the support you were getting along the way from your TF friends. This is a great site.

Elwin
Old 07-08-2012, 10:07 PM   #38
Al
Guru

City: ketchikan, Alaska
Vessel Name: 'SLO'~BELLE
Vessel Model: 1978 Marben-27' Flybridge Trawler Pilothouse Pocket Cruiser[
Eric- Have you departed Thorne Bay for good? At some point you sound as though you are on a vacation, towards the last the post sound as though you are 'Home'. I ask as a newbe on this forum, discover that you are a neighbor. I had attempted to post earlier on in your voyage. Our home is Ketchikan directly across from the Pond Reef Marker on the beach. We recently sold our 30 foot 52 year old converted tug 'Tenacious' and purchased a 27 foot Marben. We use our boat as a 'golf cart' going to and back from Wrangell to play golf there.
We have lived here for many many years and I believe that I have seen your Willard in the harbor here, at least it sure looks familar.
As our course of travel is on the East side of Clarence (Meyers Chuck) we have not had reason to visit Thorne Bay. However, if you are coming back, we'd make a point of pulling in and making our introduction over a mug up.
Regards,
A.M.Johnson
M/V 'Hapi"- 27 Marben pock trawler
Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 02:12 PM   #39
Guru

Got some Wi-fi in aStarbucks and have a few minuites.
Al, Wish I'd a known you were there. I think I know your old boat. Looks a lot like a Grand Banks ... NO? I've posted a pic at least once of that boat and I think I connect the name w it. I'll be back in Thorne Bay probably in less than a month. Myers Chuck is definitely cuter than TB but TB has lots more to offer. Yachties always prefer cute unless they need something.
OBNL, Indeed. I've been here since 07 and miss these guys when I'm away.
Peter, Already given a "few days" and I have no such inclination.
Moon and CPs and probably many others ..... Thanks for tag'in along w us and the warm well wishes. I post (usually) whatever I'm think'in about and usually receive nothing but good positive response back and/or a lot of nothing. I think there's about 500 on this forum and what goes on in the minds of the 450 that we do'nt hear from may be the most significant pat of what goes on here. Those of us that post regularly are prolly more like journalists and Therese are kinda like guys reading a magazine. Those of us that post (especially like me) a lot just like to express ourselves ... And feel a great urge to say something to much of the odd things that are posted here ... Like 4 out of 5 boats have swivels on their anchor rodes. We're so worldly though that some things are mostly unheard of in one place and common in others.
So ..... We're "home", glad to be here and I have no desire to commit boating at this point but my desire to be here is still intact.
Old 07-09-2012, 02:30 PM   #40
Al
Guru

City: ketchikan, Alaska
Vessel Name: 'SLO'~BELLE
Vessel Model: 1978 Marben-27' Flybridge Trawler Pilothouse Pocket Cruiser[
Eric- Are you running back or barging back? We are departing Wednesday 4AM for Wrangell. Weather seems too good to be true based on what we have been experiencing this Summer. Will be in Wrangell for the Alaska Air golf tournament then Svendsen Marine Works will start the construction of an aluminum canopy for the aft of the boat. I don't think we will meet up.
By the way, what make of engine are you running in the Willie?
I don't know if you know Ed Purvis, he managed Waterfall Resort and properties for many years and recently retired. He has a 25 foot Ranger and enjoys short voyages. I will try to entice he and his wife to join with us and make a run to Thorne Bay sometime.
Keep safe and travel light
Al Johnson

Al is offline   Reply With Quote